Cessna 182 Balsa Build

artw

I ended up setting the dihedral at the scale amount of 1.733 degrees by drawing it in Autocad and transferring it to a piece of balsa.
this kit has been fun and frustrating at the same time. I have nothing else to compare it to. it would help if I could read the chinese on the build photos but that is what this thread is for.

paultbg

I've tried to maiden mine yesterday at the field club.
With stock (recommended) motor and a 8x4 prop looks to have plenty of power to fly.
However it has a huge flaw. The front wheel leg is very very soft and it will actually bent below the plane when you speed up for take away. Now, indeed our field is not a drift racing track and the dirt has some small bumps here and there but I can say it's fairly decent.
After 2-3 tries and a broken prop on bow over I gave up for the day.
Once home I tried to solder a double leg from some strong 2mm servo push rod without luck. Then I decided to heat shrink the same piece along the leg. That seems to work better and now the leg feels sturdier. Will see next week.
There are only few options to correct the problem:
1. replace or improve the leg with a stronger metal
2.convert the airplane to a tail dragger but you will have to move the main wheels somewhere in the middle of the loading tray (bad idea) or add some weight to the back (bad idea again).

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Good to know about the wire! I'll have to look at mine before finishing it up. Most of my flights are off of asphalt so hopefully it's strong enough for that kind of surface (depending on the abuse of hard landings).

GT6mark3

As mentioned by some other posters, I wish I had found this thread a little sooner. It's been useful to have my preconceptions of the build instructions confirmed ie basically they're useless, and it's also good to know that I've managed to get most of the parts correctly installed.

Almost from the beginning of the build I thought the CG might be a problem, so I've done the standard weight saving mod to the tail feathers ( and extended the rudder down to the lower edge of the fuselage so it's more like the full size ). On the basis that it's better to move the battery as far forward as possible to minimise the amount of lead weight that might be needed in the nose, I extended the battery compartment forward by 2 inches. It would have been easier to do this at the beginning of the fuselage build, but I only bit the bullet once everything had been sheeted. However it only took a couple of hours, and it does prove that it's possible to make a fairly radical change to the almost completed structure.

The wings have been modified to use separate servos driving each aileron directly via a pushrod, as well as flaps. I've also put a ply hard point at mid span to attach a wing strut.

Finally, after all the work involved in constructing this "masterpiece" of Oriental model aviation engineering, I had to do something with the nacelle. The front former was move aft by an inch, and soft basla blocks glued to the front, allowing a bit of curvature to be added to the finished article.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 27

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Nice work adding some curve to the nose, it's sorely needed! Mine needs to get back on the bench soon so it can be finished up. Adding the wing struts is a good idea - they're a pain if you have to remove them, they can get in the way during transportation, but they make a huge difference in how the plane looks.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It certainly is a sickness...! They just released another new kit, a slope soarer that I'll need to get once they send it to the US warehouse. Plus Bicycle Monkey is building their Stick kit which is also calling to me. The open framework design would go great with a translucent covering and some internal LEDs.

artw

Looks great - I certainly like those flaps.
I should post some updates as well, I have spent the last couple weeks working on the wings.
hopefully will be able to do the covering soon right now I am just finishing up shaping the leading edge and applying the rear sheeting to the place above the aileron torque tube rods.

Moima

Was anyone else able to fit recommended servos (TSS10MG - Right in the picture) into the wings? Mine stick out 2mm and seem to be butting up against the upper balsa sheeting. I'm tempted to use 2 Turnigy tgy-1550A (Left in the picture) 5.5g servos I have laying around. Surely 0.9 kg of torque will be enough for this model?

wingServos.jpg

Bigrick

Ok guys, i've been able to get a bit more assembly instructions from another Chinese seller.:cool:

I put everything on my dropbox as it is big .

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j6f1x6wzg6hwf8c/AAA4fLiJQ-ixO0VCVI8Y3eLEa?dl=0

you'l find a 34 pages PDF for Fuselage Assembly, a 118 pictures ZIP file of Wings assembly and a WMV on how to cover it.

Hope it will help other beginners as me !!!;)

WOW sir you are a superstar i have been looking for these instructions for months as mine came with none so between yourself and Joker i hopefully can now start to build my plane WOOP WOOP :D

Bigrick

Cessna 128 build

Hi All

well i brought this kit off ailexpress, and well apart from the instructions missing and various other wooden and metal parts :mad: in particular the inner ply wood tail section and the metal rods the move the wing flaps (sorry don't know the technical terms for these parts):D its not a bad kit but just check and make sure all the parts are there BEFORE you begin (unlike me) i will update when i get an answer as to weather i get all my parts. So only 3 weeks to wait HA HA :D

Magwie

Like so many before me, .... Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. to all who have posted here.

I too am a sucker for the cheep Chinese balsa kits from HK. Finished the "Big Stick" about a month ago, loved the challenge of assembly without instructions, also love the way it fly's. :)

Stick Done.jpg

Just got the Cessna 182 kit today and can't wait to get started.

Thank you again.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Wow, that's a crazy covering job, nicely done!

Some day when an order from HK is placed that stick may "accidentally" end up in the order. Please add details on your Cessna build as you go along, there aren't a lot of good resources for those trying to build it.

Magwie

Thank you Joker, used left over bits of covering from other builds, cant see it in the pics but the bottom is all red.

I will post updates of my Cessna build as I go along but it might be a while, I have a couple others that I've started and need to complete. I just like having "the next kit" ready to go. I find it keeps me motivated to build.

I would recommend the stick, I'm using the suggested power system, with a 3s 2200 batt.(it's a tight squeeze to get the batt in) 7X5 APC Prop, Fly's great, lands easy (with upgraded gear and tail wheel) It's even pretty acrobatic on high rates. I would recommend doing away with "rubber band" wing mount and fab a bolt down type.

As far as resources for the HK Cessna 182

"I think you all have created a wonderful resource right here!" Thanks again.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys end up using for the power plant.

Bigrick

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
A safe assumption of CG is somewhere between 25 and 35% of the wings chord. If you have any doubt, put it at 25%. It may not lead to the best handling airplane, but it will lead to a "safe" flying configuration.

Bigrick

found this out hope this helps .... The Cof G is not mentioned on the plan, but we recommend balancing the model at 27mm back from the wing leading edge measured at the wing root.