Crowdfunding for Skin Printer Input

What do you think I should name this venture?

• Flite Tats

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Flite Skins

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Rasterworks

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Skin Print

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sknz by Rasterize

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Plane Ink

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flite Sknz

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
You should print full size ft plans as well. I would BUY one of those for sure. Im tired of laying out tiles of ft plans and putting them together lol
I dont think he can. The plans are FT property and while you can use them privately it would be illegal to sell copies of their plans.
A good question. It would be illegal to sell copies of the digital PDF I agree but I would not actually be selling the FT PDF plan. I would be selling a print. If one could not sell the printed version of the PDF, then one could not go to Staples and get FT plans printed since they would be printing for a profit. I will try and verify this via SP0NZ and FT if I can. A legal work around would be providing plans for free with a skin purchase or something like that. We shall see.

Rasterize

Mentor
Out of curiosity on my next design I want to get some skins for it, would you be able to make some for me after the design is finished?

Anything is possible. I have made skins for non FT plane and am currently working on an ME163 skin for Zephyr1 here.

Rasterize

Mentor
Rasterworks maybe?

See the poll at the top of the thread (you probably already have) It's tied for first!

Would we still be able to purchase pilot names or other designs for a higher fee maybe?
Also would this mean other forum members wouldn't be able to ask for skins for their designs?

I like the idea of customizing an already existing skin for individuals. Pilot names, nationality markings, maybe a significant others name in the nose art? All are possibilities and fairly easy to do.

As for what and who I do skins for, that is totally up to me. ;)

"Exclusivity" (that is designing a skin for an individual or group of individuals and no one else get access to them) on the other hand is a different subject altogether. Design a skin for one person is a huge time commitment on my part. It can take days depending on the design and my own personal schedule. I really like rockyboys idea of a special "Kickstarter only" design that's only available to supporters and not printed again . Might need a poll on what to do. :)

JTarmstr

Elite member
See the poll at the top of the thread (you probably already have) It's tied for first!

I like the idea of customizing an already existing skin for individuals. Pilot names, nationality markings, maybe a significant others name in the nose art? All are possibilities and fairly easy to do.

As for what and who I do skins for, that is totally up to me. ;)

"Exclusivity" (that is designing a skin for an individual or group of individuals and no one else get access to them) on the other hand is a different subject altogether. Design a skin for one person is a huge time commitment on my part. It can take days depending on the design and my own personal schedule. I really like rockyboys idea of a special "Kickstarter only" design that's only available to supporters and not printed again . Might need a poll on what to do. :)

Maybe for the FT A-10 you could do the lizard green schemes from the cold war? They are really unique and in my opinion look awesome. Would look great as an exclusive skin.

a-10as_118th_tfs_ct_ang_in_flight_1979_zps85f49c56.jpg

Rasterize

Mentor
To expand on Rockyboys idea of "A special "Kickstarter only" design that's only available to supporters and not printed again", I'm setting up a poll here to see where the interest might be. Check it out and add any you might like to see!
Click HERE to go to the thread!

Rasterize

Mentor
Question: Will this mean no more free skins?
Answer: I will continue putting free skins in the forum resources. If this goes through, it just might take me longer now to create a new one.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Looks like a great idea.
i think you should deliver two copys of each skin to guarantee an answer if something goes wrong for the user. of course, including that it in a higher price. Many clients will order two copies of each skin to have a backup.

The level of detail of the skins would depend on what the user wants. A few assets can achieve very realistic results with a lot of details.
203483_a1ef44efba6581fa4b944aecc5dfc1d9.jpg new.jpg

Rasterize

Mentor
Looks like a great idea.

Thanks! I wish I could go with a higher resolution xerographic machine or a flat bed printer to print directly on the foam but the expenses is way beyond my reach and the potential market.

i think you should deliver two copies of each skin to guarantee an answer if something goes wrong for the user. of course, including that it in a higher price. Many clients will order two copies of each skin to have a backup.

I have thought about this as well. Maybe have an option to add a second print of the same skin at a discount? It would always be less expensive than having to pay two shipping costs.

The level of detail of the skins would depend on what the user wants. A few assets can achieve very realistic results with a lot of details.
View attachment 122402 View attachment 122400

Ah "grunge"... I have played with a few "grunge" or "dirt" elements in attempts to weather a skin but they never seem quite right. Staining on aircraft usually follows panel lines or are exhaust streaks or oil streaks from leaks. I do like the brown staining you did. I work in Illustrator when I do skins. I assume you do this in Photoshop since it was a jpeg?

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Ah "grunge"... I have played with a few "grunge" or "dirt" elements in attempts to weather a skin but they never seem quite right. Staining on aircraft usually follows panel lines or are exhaust streaks or oil streaks from leaks. I do like the brown staining you did. I work in Illustrator when I do skins. I assume you do this in Photoshop since it was a jpeg?

Yes, i know those are not the normal scratch for a plane, i used the first texture i found becasuse i am at the office so i can "play" to much ;). Generaly i use photoshop, but for this fast work i used gimp because i am on ubuntu here at the office. But it can be ilustrator for keep it in a vectorial format.

Details like the smoke from exhaust, scratch form pilots steps, old paint marks, some other scratch and tones diferences on the color (like the brown i used) etc... give to the skin an extra look.

I can-t help you with money because of this. but i am happy to help with ideas and graphic designs works.

You are doing an amazing job with this skins. Wish you good luck.

Rasterize

Mentor
Unfortunately Rasterworks is already owned as a domain name. Can't seem to edit the selection in the poll to delete it. Plane Ink is also not available.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Unfortunately Rasterworks is already owned as a domain name. Can't seem to edit the selection in the poll to delete it. Plane Ink is also not available.

aww thats rough, maybe try RasterWorks? if that doesnt work i will change my vote to Sknz by Rasterize

Rasterize

Mentor
so where do we send the money? :p

lol Thanks for the enthusiasm Jason! Remember this is still an exploratory thread. Still working out the best shipping method and their cost. Leaning toward Priority Mail with USPS. Includes tracking a decent delivery times. Free 25" long shipping triangle/tubs are a big plus.
I have been reading up on crowdfunding campaign hint and tips and one that appears oer and over is to ask for the least amount of money you need. Still working on getting that as low as possible.

Michael9865

Elite member
lol Thanks for the enthusiasm Jason! Remember this is still an exploratory thread. Still working out the best shipping method and their cost. Leaning toward Priority Mail with USPS. Includes tracking a decent delivery times. Free 25" long shipping triangle/tubs are a big plus.
I have been reading up on crowdfunding campaign hint and tips and one that appears oer and over is to ask for the least amount of money you need. Still working on getting that as low as possible.

One thing to think about if you use gofundme, I have heard from a few people that they keep a percentage of the raised funds.

Rasterize

Mentor
One thing to think about if you use gofundme, I have heard from a few people that they keep a percentage of the raised funds.

I think they all do. Each takes a different percentage and different rules. HAve to shp around. Still lean toward Kickstart. No one pays if the project does not gt fully funded.

kilroy07

Legendary member
$$$$ Ability to chose a skin theme you will design for an existing DTFB plane (from FT or Nerdnic or the like) and copies of said design (up to X sheets)
+1 on this idea. I have a wide format printer, what I don't have is the time/skill to do my own custom graphics!
(And to have one by "the raster man himself..." well, that would just be too cool!)

I also like the idea of a custom graphic for the kickstarter. A downloadable PDF (for supporters) would be MUCH appreciated!