Dayton Wright RB-1 racer , concept plane for the Gordon Bennett Air Race

leaded50

Legendary member
Wildcat especially.......

(y)
what original retract system was, isnt as much interesting, since its rare can be made for a RC model, without expencive enginering. The scetch there, will NOT be correct, it willraise the wheel too high, approx up to/into the wing height. And, the top strut where it get angled by raising/lowering will move approx at full width of fuselage and struts /a-arms need cross the ones from other side. Ive tested that system too.

leaded50

Legendary member
got more internal reinforcing further back to the tail surfaces. And since the pilot have "relative minor" view, i made up a vintage styled instrumentpanel in the cockpit front wall.

DSC_1216.JPG
DSC_1218.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
I just thought it looked similar large motor/nose short wingspan and small front to back length (what’s that called?)
its not so similar to Gee bees, look at Tupolev ANT-2 ... difference was mostly that pilot sat on top of wing/motor.. passengers inside. Also a few other had some similarity in design of that time.. But, NO ONE had the special technology in features as the model here that time.

leaded50

Legendary member
Tailsurfaces is on... at least the elevator halfs, and tailfin. Rudder is on wait.... And, the plane got "skinned" ready.
Here the reinforcing between elevator halfs is glued in place. The controlhorn for this is on same reinfoce rod, and is at middle of tailfin with pushrod forward to the cockpit

DSC_1222.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
Nice little detail on the spokes just showing through in the center. I made a set like that for my Sopwith Pup, but I ran the spokes from center to rim. It took me a while to figure out why it just didn't right.
i did in fact lowered quality on the 3D print for the reason to get easier the circles (layers) on the sides. That did also more faint spokes when slightly sanded. The printfile had also not spokes on the whole cap..

leaded50

Legendary member
it seems like the fuselage is ready for a contrast layer of paint, to check out how much imperfections in surface,
The servos for tail, is easy mounted by the top hatch... but for the retract system, i need access into the fuselage forward, so that skinpart is made detachable at moment . Servos is ordered... delivery? who knows..... :cautious:

Will work on do the paint/details on the fuselage before further work on the wing.

Both the greyed top front hatch (for battery, accesss to motor/esc) and over the cockpit and a bit further back (for tailservos, reciver, eg) is made of pvc foamboard. heated to shape.
DSC_1227.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
the variable camber system is thought out, and in construction. The wing it self with moving surfaces is ready , and will get paint in a few days. Then its just to mount the bellcranks and div. pushrods. LE flaps is functional, and the "gap" is closed off. LE flaps would get less movement that the TE, adkusted by the bellcranks.

DSC_1229.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
Slightly less ugly than I thought! But it's an amazing build.

The pilot's creepy. ;) Make him stop looking at me.
Ha,ha... your in the pilots sight!!! :devilish: s*** it dont have any guns..... GRRRR :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Could forgot the " scale look" and "gone a bit crazy" in colors, and for sure you close to havent thought about "ugly" at all ;) you be happy i dont use a mirror finish :unsure: Ha,ha :ROFLMAO::LOL: