Does anyone have any Cub or Super Cub plans for DTFB?

Tater76

Hi guys, I have tried to use the search function looking for Cub plans, but have not found anything. Do they exist yet for dollar tree foam board? I have a storch, and love it, but I have been in love with the cub and super cub since I was a little boy. I just have to build and fly one :) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tater76

Built the wing and fuselage last night. Gotta say this is a super easy build! It looks amazing too. I'll post some pics in just a few.

Tater76

ebay 001.JPG ebay 002.JPG ebay 003.JPG

Tater76

I have yet to install electronics, but I just couldn't wait to put it together lol. The glide test was amazing! It flies effortlessly, and tracks like an arrow. Now to build some landing gear, and hope my servos come in the mail tomorrow ;) I think I will experiment with flaps on this one too! Thanks again for the plans, it was a breeze to build, and should be a swappable kit in the FT store in my opinion. Yes I know it's just another Cub, but for many of us, it is the plane that got us interested in flying. I have been in love with this little bird for over 30 years, and now I own one! Hopefully the maiden will happen tomorrow, and I will report back.

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Super, and a couple of possible mods...

Just downloaded plans - looks like a quick build.
One thing I am going to look at doing is modifying the windshield cowl area to take some shaped EPO foam to get some of the true J3 curves up there. I did an article here:
http://flitetest.com/articles/cut-foam-for-slinger-turtle-deck
Another thing to mod is to sure-up the rudder and elevator hinges, use actual hinges. The paper has been releasing from the foam on my FT planes and I eventually just add small dubro nylon/pin hinges like these - very cheap, light, easy to install, and work great.

dubro hinges.jpg

Lastly, I need to try a pull-pull setup for rudder and elevator for other balsa builds I am working on, so maybe those will go in this build.

Thanks for the great design, Tom(!)

Last edited:

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
PeterGregory,
Hi. I'm new to the forum and just figuring out how to use it. Lol. I'm having the same problem with the paper hinge coming apart from the foam. I built Banditjacks bj-j3 cub and it is a great flyer. As for the hinges I did the same thing with the dubro pin hinges. Add one at the bottom of the rudder as well. (I'm sure you'll see what I mean when you build the tail section.) The reason I am putting my two cents in here is because since then I did some testing after I built the bj-j3, and on a FT DELTA I used ca hinges on the elevons. They are cheaper and work great. I cut 3 slots in the stabilizer and 3 slots in the control surface, Dry fit it two or three times then just add hot glue or foam safe ca would probably work. (I haven't tried foam safe ca, just assuming it would also work. I then cover the gap between the stabilizer and control surface with scotch brand colored tape to match my packing tape, (in this case obviously yellow) lol. Oh I forgot to mention glue the ca hinges to the control surface first the do your dry fitting before gluing. It's probably self explanatory but I didn't want to leave anything out in case someone else might get something from this post. Happy flying and good luck with the cub build.

Tater76

Would either of you happen to have pictures of your hinge mods? I haven't had any hinge problems with any of my ft planes yet, but it would be nice to see how others combat the issue.

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
Tater,
Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the delta i used for testing. It got to beat up in combat with my club members. Im in the process of switching shifts right now going from 1st to 3rd but ill try and get some photos of the j3 asap. I was gonna do an article on using the ca hinge method but im new to the forums and articles section and am learning as i go. Im only 34 but just not to familiar on how to get the most out of forums and such,(uploading videos and pics) but ill give it a try. I had a thought, check YouTube on how to use ca hinges and practice on some scrap foam before you try with your actual control surfaces. I use the the same way you would with a balsa build just instead of cutting a slot in the balsa cut a slot in the foamboard. I use hot glue instead of ca but it works great. I use 3-4 ca hinges per surface depending on the size. I also saw an article on FT for another a hinge method, i believe that it was called the invisible hinge or something like that where it was done with just tape and the way it is applied. That method gives full movement each way up to 90°. It was impressive and i also want to try that. Ill try and find that article and let you know for sure what its called. Unless somebody else chimes in ill be in touch. Happy flying.

Tater76

Ok couldn't wait a moment longer and took it for a maiden! First off, I will admit that my servos did not show up in the mail, so I robbed 3 from other planes lol. Now I know it is a 4 control surface plane, but I flew it with just ailerons and elevator. It flew awesome! The weather was less than perfect, gusting winds of 10-15, but it bucked the wind pretty good for such a light plane. I powered it with a cheap ebay 2208 1400kv, 8x6 prop, and 2200 3c battery. It took the 2200 to get the cg right. It was a last minute thing, so I just slapped what I had out in it lol, and it flew great. I can't wait to put a better motor on it, and spend some time really dialing it in. I'll keep you posted.

Tater76

Ok, took it out again in the calm evening air, and thought it would be perfect. I learned very quickly that the 800kv is not enough, it requires a 2200 to get the cg correct, 8x4sf prop was wrong, and it tip stalls pretty easy lol. Other than that, it's pretty fun to fly lol. I will try a 1400kv with a 9x4.7sf tomorrow.

Tater76

Just thought I would post some gratuitous pics of the Cub after much flight time, and some diy landing gear ;)
ebay 013.JPG ebay 014.JPG ebay 015.JPG ebay 016.JPG