Doing something that FT said not to try at home — Airsoft on planes

Which plane to use?

• Total voters

Lord of the planes

Hi guys!
I decided I wanted to do something that I have wanted to do forever, that is putting guns on planes, now, of course, you can’t just put a real gun on an RC plane as that is lethal and dangerous so that doesn't really work, next best thing?? Airsoft. I am kinda in love with airsoft, not the games where you go around and see how many people you can kill but the game where there is a lot of strategy and fun is a top priority, to do the fun part I decided it would be necessary to put airsoft on a plane and go strife people with air cover while having a ground cover, or just straight out dog fights. FT has done I think 2 videos where they put airsoft on planes, one on the big Vulcan ( I think ) and another were I can’t remember where it was, during both of these they told us not to try it at home. Back on topic though, I (being a complete beginner) know I won't be able to accomplish this on my own (hence the thread for this) now I only have a couple ideas but pretty much this is the main thing, we take a spitfire, mustang, or a corsair (mini 🙃) and try to use 3d printing or really anything to take an AEG like this one or something like the one in the video with the Vulcan, (Open to suggestions as to which gun to use) get it down to size and fit it on the plane and have it fly you could try to put one inside under or on top the fuselage (obviously you wouldn't want to should out your propeller) , or you could try two on the wings (both would be cool) the goal would be to have them facing forward so a one-man piloted plane, where a switch would turn on both guns, could go strife people (who are expecting this, wearing a substantial protective covering and in an airsoft war ) or go dog fight. Either way, it would be pretty awesome, in my humble opinion. If you have ideas, want to help, or have done this kinda thing before then that’s what this thread is for, keep in mind I’m a complete beginner so if I make dumb comments from time to time that's why.
So we have a plane, and what's better than that? A plane with guns on it, right?

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
Watch the Flite test A10 videos they go into depth with a lot of the challenges that come with that sort of goal. I would think a mini would work to make an air soft gun. The recoil alone would stop it in the sky (I think) and wouldn’t take off in the first place. I think if you supersized a plane then it might be feasible to do. Now to be able to do that is awesome. I would see if you could contact Flite test to see what kinda thought went into those videos and others that have done the same stuff with air soft on planes. I am interested in this topic and I think it would be awesome to see so I will be watching the thread.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Hi guys!
I decided I wanted to do something that I have wanted to do forever, that is putting guns on planes, now, of course, you can’t just put a real gun on an RC plane as that is lethal and dangerous so that doesn't really work, next best thing?? Airsoft. I am kinda in love with airsoft, not the games where you go around and see how many people you can kill but the game where there is a lot of strategy and fun is a top priority, to do the fun part I decided it would be necessary to put airsoft on a plane and go strife people with air cover while having a ground cover, or just straight out dog fights. FT has done I think 2 videos where they put airsoft on planes, one on the big Vulcan ( I think ) and another were I can’t remember where it was, during both of these they told us not to try it at home. Back on topic though, I (being a complete beginner) know I won't be able to accomplish this on my own (hence the thread for this) now I only have a couple ideas but pretty much this is the main thing, we take a spitfire, mustang, or a corsair (mini 🙃) and try to use 3d printing or really anything to take an AEG like this one or something like the one in the video with the Vulcan, (Open to suggestions as to which gun to use) get it down to size and fit it on the plane and have it fly you could try to put one inside under or on top the fuselage (obviously you wouldn't want to should out your propeller) , or you could try two on the wings (both would be cool) the goal would be to have them facing forward so a one-man piloted plane, where a switch would turn on both guns, could go strife people (who are expecting this, wearing a substantial protective covering and in an airsoft war ) or go dog fight. Either way, it would be pretty awesome, in my humble opinion. If you have ideas, want to help, or have done this kinda thing before then that’s what this thread is for, keep in mind I’m a complete beginner so if I make dumb comments from time to time that's why.
So we have a plane, and what's better than that? A plane with guns on it, right?
If it were me I would try CO2. You could probably save weight and have a servo pull the valve for it. If you have access to a 3d printer it should be very easy to save weight for your gun.

flamingo

hey if you want to make a airsoft plane 1st thing what plane are you making the minis are ok but try somthing ez fist btw i want to do the same you can try a ww1 pusher where you can add the gun at the nose not leting it get nose heavy or tail and it still looks like the real plane
🙂

Lord of the planes

hey if you want to make a airsoft plane 1st thing what plane are you making the minis are ok but try somthing ez fist btw i want to do the same you can try a ww1 pusher where you can add the gun at the nose not leting it get nose heavy or tail and it still looks like the real plane
🙂
I was trying to keep in the era of WW2 planes, so spitfire, mustang, Flying Fortress, I think Corsair, all of those kinda fit, due to the fact that I‘m gonna add like 14lb of weight to the plane, (and that I don’t really want to shoot my prop off, or figure out stuff so it doesn’t shoot my prop off) I might do what they did to the A-10 when the built it and switch to having to motores on the side (so instead of the f-pack using the twin f-pack) that way it has more power and I can have the gun in the middle withought shooting down my own plane (If there are issues with my idea of doing this, please let me know) so my idea was not to do a biplane but I might look into it, depending on how this turns out.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I was trying to keep in the era of WW2 planes, so spitfire, mustang, Flying Fortress, I think Corsair, all of those kinda fit, due to the fact that I‘m gonna add like 14lb of weight to the plane, (and that I don’t really want to shoot my prop off, or figure out stuff so it doesn’t shoot my prop off) I might do what they did to the A-10 when the built it and switch to having to motores on the side (so instead of the f-pack using the twin f-pack) that way it has more power and I can have the gun in the middle withought shooting down my own plane (If there are issues with my idea of doing this, please let me know) so my idea was not to do a biplane but I might look into it, depending on how this turns out.

You could do a P-38 or a J-21
1605627906180.jpg

1605627886705.jpg

flamingo

yea the ww2 era is cool but hard inww1 and ww2 they did a thing where the gun stoped shooting near the time of the propeller so does it hit it still dont know how we can do that i have a lot of ideas but there to hard

Flyingshark

Master member
yea the ww2 era is cool but hard inww1 and ww2 they did a thing where the gun stoped shooting near the time of the propeller so does it hit it still dont know how we can do that i have a lot of ideas but there to hard
Yeah, they had a mechanical synchronizing device attached to the engine somewhere, so it would release the trigger of the machine guns whenever the prop passed through the line of fire. Pretty sure that was invented by Anthony Fokker. There also was another guy who did an earlier version, with armored propeller blades to protect it. If I remember correctly, that failed, his prop broke, and the engine shook itself off its mountings, and he fell to his death. So it's definitely a hard problem to solve! :)

If you had lots of electronics, you could make a software version of that, by tracking the rotation of the motor with a hall effect sensor. At least according to this: