drone will not fly higher than a few inches off the floor.

Mezcalyt

Hello.
I build a Gremlin kit using a jhemcu ghf411aio-bmi 40a and everything seems to be working fine.
But when I arm and take off the drone will not go higher than a few inches off the floor, no matter how much throttle i give.
Does any onw know what could be the problem and how I could fix it?

Tench745

Master member
Hello.
I build a Gremlin kit using a jhemcu ghf411aio-bmi 40a and everything seems to be working fine.
But when I arm and take off the drone will not go higher than a few inches off the floor, no matter how much throttle i give.
My first instinct is that it's essentially unable to fly out of ground effect.
If that's the case I would start checking physical things before checking programming/electronic things.
Make sure your props are mounted with the numbers on the blades facing upwards. Check that your overall weight is about what FT recommends. Double check that you're using the right battery. Things like that.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Hello.
Would you please add a photo and tell us what battery you are using. The Gremlin has no problem flying over 100 feet up (where it is a tiny dot). I have several Gremlin's with this flight controller and I run them with a 3S 850 mah battery. If you are using a 1500 or 2000 mah battery that could be the issue.

Death_Storm

Hello.
at first thought im thinking either your barometer is giving wrong values or you dont have enough thrust from motors please do send a pic of the drone so we can help you further

Mezcalyt

My first instinct is that it's essentially unable to fly out of ground effect.
If that's the case I would start checking physical things before checking programming/electronic things.
Make sure your props are mounted with the numbers on the blades facing upwards. Check that your overall weight is about what FT recommends. Double check that you're using the right battery. Things like that.
Thank you for your reply. I cheked that the propellers were placed properly and in the right side. The weight is what FT recommends. In fact I had to remove the camera to use it in anoterh drone, so now it is a few grams lighter, but still it won´t fly higher than a couple of inches off the ground. I also tried callibrating the ESC, but there was no change.
I wonder if it has anything to do with callibrating the accelerometer or barometer.
The motors are spinning in the right direction, the modes seem to be working fine in Betaflight, but sometimes even after I drop the throttle down to zero, the propellers keep spinning at high speed. Like if the dron was trying to balance out for something.
I used the settings dump file from FT. So, no idea what could be wrong...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Does one or more motor get hotter than the rest?

With the battery removed, if you spin the motors individually by hand, do they all move with the same effort, or are there any that are significantly tighter or looser than the others?

It's possible that something is binding one or more of the motors up electrically or mechanically which the FC then overcomes by limiting ALL the motors to keep everything in check.

Another test would be to remove ALL props, then check for max speed for each motor individually. Do they all start at roughly the same point and reach the same speed? If not, focus on what could be different with the motor(s) that act different.

LB

Last edited:

Death_Storm

Thank you for your reply. I cheked that the propellers were placed properly and in the right side. The weight is what FT recommends. In fact I had to remove the camera to use it in anoterh drone, so now it is a few grams lighter, but still it won´t fly higher than a couple of inches off the ground. I also tried callibrating the ESC, but there was no change.
I wonder if it has anything to do with callibrating the accelerometer or barometer.
The motors are spinning in the right direction, the modes seem to be working fine in Betaflight, but sometimes even after I drop the throttle down to zero, the propellers keep spinning at high speed. Like if the dron was trying to balance out for something.
I used the settings dump file from FT. So, no idea what could be wrong...
really sounds like your gyroscope and barometer are not calibrated and for some reason are trying to overcorrect and if your motor is still spinning after throttle down im definitely still thinking your barometer values are of

Shurik-1960

Miracles only happen in a fairy tale..The gas supply indicator on the transmitter must be in the lowest position (this can be done by unscrewing the gas with a trimmer).After that, turn the throttle knob to the maximum position and connect the quadcopter to the battery.When you hear music (squeak), lower the throttle stick to the lowest position. The calibration was completed successfully. If this does not help, then your battery has a low output current, replace the battery with a larger C.

Mezcalyt

Thank you all for your replies. I will check ESC´s callibration again and barometer.
Meanwhile here are some pictures as requested.
I also noticed that somtimes, as show in the video, the drone will not arm immediatelly, so I will also check the received connection.
The battery I am using is the 2S, 800mAh that came with the kit.
I added a link to a short video below:
Thank you again for your input!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 5.00.01 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 5.00.01 AM.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 5.00.20 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 5.00.20 AM.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 5.00.43 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 5.00.43 AM.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0