F-100 Super Sabre 1/8th Build (70")

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
1525297030967.png

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
So I’ll take that as a maybe... sounds like you’re from California, I’m surprised they didn’t do another west coast event this year.

Namactual

Elite member
Wow, that is really looking good man!
I have been watching this since the beginning and all of that hard work is paying off.
Keep up the great work!(y)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Wow! Just brilliant work.

Maybe you should think about Texas - only 1800 miles / 27 hours!

DamoRC

thenated0g

Mentor
Wow! Just brilliant work.

Maybe you should think about Texas - only 1800 miles / 27 hours!

DamoRC

Thanks Damo, Just from my one experience at West FF i would say the drive to any of them would be worth it. But the time away from my family is too much and it would be too hard on my daughter to be in a car that long. Driving down to your field would only be like 3 hrs though so maybe i can do that sometime.

thenated0g

Mentor
The canopy area is bigger than scale, but as this is primarily going to be a fpv ship i wanted a large shelf to put equipment. Having said that, now that i can see the flat area i did not need this much area. The side benefit is a long area for the battery to move around for CG, so that is nice. But i wasn't really paying attention when i cut this area out and it has a pretty good curve to it as seen in picture #4. So i decided to use a sheet of ABS plastic for the lid. That way i can heat it up and let it take that shape later. Initially i am going to make a fpv lid. If it survives maiden i will make a more scale lid with transparent canopy and a pilot.
IMG_20180505_091415.jpg IMG_20180505_091550.jpg IMG_20180505_093014.jpg IMG_20180505_093021.jpg

Instead of getting this thing up on blocks and getting a bunch of levels out I decided to take my friends advice and just use the top of the table as my neutral position or flat/straight reference. I blocked the wings (clark Y flat bottom) up on some 3" foam and than worked my way up with wood sheets until i got right to the horizontal stabilizer position. If i was doing this again i would make the horizontal stabilizer one sheet of material all the way thru the fuselage. I didnt think about the forces being applied on these when seperated and how i would keep them rigid to the frame. I ended up Gorilla gluing in 4mm carbon round tubes into the flutes of the coroplast and enough sticking out to go into the fuselage about 3 inches. Than i gorilla glued a fillet of hard balsa. I will add another fillet to the bottom as well. This stiffened it up a lot.
IMG_20180505_095542.jpg IMG_20180505_121744.jpg IMG_20180505_150308.jpg

I should point out too what actually got me on a roll this weekend. I decided to cut out the vertical stabilizer and put it on for a Instagram picture. For some reason just that one piece did something magical to me as far as the silhouette. All of the sudden it was a JET.
IMG_20180505_152343.jpg IMG_20180505_153025.jpg

While glue was drying on the other side i cut in the hinges for the left aileron and glued it in place. This adds an additional 2" to the wing bringing the root chord to 22". The ailerons are balsa stock so i used CA glue for that side of the nylon hinge. For the foam wing section (no wood TE, just foam) i knew from past use that CA and Foam are not friends. So i put some petroleum jelly on the hinges, inserted the tip of the gorilla glue bottle into the foam and squeezed some in, than misted both sides of the nylon hinge with water. White GG foams up pretty quick so i only had to baby sit it for about 10 minutes while working on other things. Just wiping the foam off before it can harden. I used 4 hinges on the aileron.
IMG_20180506_160531.jpg
While glue was drying i also played around with my 3d printer. I printed out one of these X8 holders. Not sure if i will use it yet, but it would get the antennas up and out of the fuselage nicely. The radio section is the whole just behind the canopy area.
IMG_20180505_140552.jpg
I also test printed out one of these hooks from thingiverse in PLA just to get a look at it. I think something like this wold make a nice landing slider. 2 on the fuselage and smaller ones under each wingtip. Printed in ABS though.
1525713690835.png

Look at this thing! Seriously getting maiden jitters. I need to weigh it soon.
IMG_20180507_075415.jpg