Field Flying

LUMBERCAVER

How would i approach a farmer about using their land to fly? Im technically not registered in the ama dont have any tracking stuff.

Ian8Whit

I’m not registered in the AMA either so I just fly at a park or my house I guess you could just ask them if it would be ok for you to fly on their land far away from their house…

Ian8Whit

Well it’d probably be fine because all I have is a ten acre plot of land and have plenty of room to fly as long as you ask I’m sure theyd be fine with it farmers are nice like that!
happy flying
-Ian

Cnat

How would i approach a farmer about using their land to fly? Im technically not registered in the ama dont have any tracking stuff.
Id just go knock on his door and ask him. People are usually super cool as long as you're respectful to them and their land.

If you have 4 acres that's quite a bit of room. Plenty to fly on if there aren't a lot of obstructions.

LUMBERCAVER

Id just go knock on his door and ask him. People are usually super cool as long as you're respectful to them and their land.

If you have 4 acres that's quite a bit of room. Plenty to fly on if there aren't a lot of obstructions.
3 achers is clear and the other achers is cherry trees I got

Cnat

3 achers is clear and the other achers is cherry trees I got
I think that's more than enough room for park fliers. Pretty much anything flite test sells or has plans for you can fly in that space as long as you have a good place to takeoff and land.

skymaster

Elite member
How would i approach a farmer about using their land to fly? Im technically not registered in the ama don't have any tracking stuff.
well, the best way would be to go over and introduce yourself! and tell them about your hobby and would like their permission to fly on their land. And maybe you can get them into the hobby. ask if they have livestock to stay away from that area, so you don't scare the animals.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
My experience suggests land owners are most concerned about: 1) liability 2) Noise 3) damage to property and crops 4) strangers an 5) flying at odd hours. You can charter an AMA club but it requires a little money and quite a bit of time. Alternatively, you can get the people flying to sign an indemnification. You can then limit flying only to FTCA charter members and then set some common-sense rules that everyone agrees to follow. That would include: Adhering to FTCA Safety Guidelines, flying only electric, flying noisy electric after 10:00 a.m. and before 6:00 p.m., no flying over buildings and picking up all garbage, especially LiPo batteries and being gentle with any crops. It's also a great idea to offer to teach either the farmer or any of his family how to fly RC on a club member's plane.