First Build (desperately need help)

CsanadB

So I wanted to build an FT Millennium Flerken MKR2 and this is what I have so far:
-FT Millennium Flerken MKR2
-FT Millennium Flerken Power Add-on
-LEMON RX DSMP
-FT Aura Lite

I am planning to upgrade to fpv later which is why I picked the Aura. I dont have a transmitter yet (I've been using a spektrum dxs). I believe all of this is compatible, could someone make me a list of supplies I will need? I have and x acto knife, and a not very good glue gun. What should I upgrade/buy? Thank you for the help!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Last weekend we had a first timer at the field with a Flerken he built. It was touchy to fly (even in the hands of our club president who could fly a brick if he had to), so make sure you know where the CG is and have it properly balanced before you fly it. If you aren't at least an intermediate pilot, you might want to start with an easier plane, like a Tiny Trainer.

As for building supplies, a decent glue gun is recommended. It doesn't have to be fancy (mine came from Ace hardware), but it should be able to keep up with your building pace. Longer glue sticks (10") come in handy, too. You might also want to invest in a cutting mat (as large as you can afford) and longer (~24") metal ruler for straight cuts. Grab a few extra blades for your X-acto knife- when it starts tearing at the foam rather than cleanly cutting it, you'll know its time to swap out for a fresh one.

That's really about it- although most folks here have a few specialty tools they like to use and can chime in as well. For example, I like to use a blow torch to heat up a small metal ruler as a scraper to clean up my glue dribbles, but that's just me.

Good luck building! Have fun with the process.

CsanadB

Last weekend we had a first timer at the field with a Flerken he built. It was touchy to fly (even in the hands of our club president who could fly a brick if he had to), so make sure you know where the CG is and have it properly balanced before you fly it. If you aren't at least an intermediate pilot, you might want to start with an easier plane, like a Tiny Trainer.

As for building supplies, a decent glue gun is recommended. It doesn't have to be fancy (mine came from Ace hardware), but it should be able to keep up with your building pace. Longer glue sticks (10") come in handy, too. You might also want to invest in a cutting mat (as large as you can afford) and longer (~24") metal ruler for straight cuts. Grab a few extra blades for your X-acto knife- when it starts tearing at the foam rather than cleanly cutting it, you'll know its time to swap out for a fresh one.

That's really about it- although most folks here have a few specialty tools they like to use and can chime in as well. For example, I like to use a blow torch to heat up a small metal ruler as a scraper to clean up my glue dribbles, but that's just me.

Good luck building! Have fun with the process.
Thank you for the tips, if you had to pick another plane for me what would it be. I wouldn't say I'm an intermediate pilot more of a beginner-intermediate. I'd also like one that's decently fast but can also glide. What would you recommend? Later on I would like to upgrade it to fpv if possible. I will get the building supplies you mentioned, but will the tx12 be a good upgrade to the dxs? Thank you once again for the help.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Most of the FT planes fly pretty easily. I think I started with the FT Spitfire (not the Master Series one) for flying. I don't know about ones that can glide as well- maybe someone else will chime in. As for receivers, I'm still using a DX6E, so your TX12 would give you a lot of extra capabilities.

Piotrsko

Master member
Power off gliding is a function of wing size, weight, and overall drag, but really clean designs can thermal on good days. Case in point was the RC glider conversion of the U/C junior Nobler way back in the day. They were aerobatic, and could also thermal, kind of, but were way too fast for tiny thermal days. So pick something with at least 3ft of wing span and fairly light while looking like what you think is a standard airplane; tiny trainer comes to mind.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Definitely get a big glue gun if you’re using a small crafts one. My small crafts one operates at a lower temperature and the glue would cool before I got everything in position!

What planes have you flown already? That’ll help us gauge your skill. Do mention if any of them had gyro stabilisers as well.

Gray Cat

I still have no luck binding with the FT aura lite. I get the blinking light when powered up but it never goes to a solid lite and when I power up the spectrum DX6E holding the bind button nothing changes. What am I doing wrong?? Also am I supposed to hold the trim button on the FT aura lite when I power up the controller? I did get the lemon receiver and it lights up OK but does not do anything else.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Here's the procedure that works for me with DX6e:
1) bind Aura to rx - push and hold bind button on Aura while plugging in battery then unplug battery.
2 bind rx to radio - plug in battery then turn on tx while holding bind button on tx.

Hope that helps, it can be frustrating