First home build mini Tricopter

CharelZa

After watchin allot of the FT videos of David and his Tricopters it has got my interest going into Tri's.

So I looked in my spares drawer and had everything needed for a build except for the wood for the frame and arms.

So went to the local hobby store and got some 10x15mm spars for the arms and a piece of super ply wood " dont know its correct name but it is super light and very stiff".

Then it was time to think of a frame design and yaw servo setup.

I then visited Davids site and got allot of info from there.

I then decided to go on a design based of his RCX frame and also the yaw mechanism.

I wanted to build a mini tri, cause I had motors left over from a crashed 250 FPV quad.

After i measured it all up to the size I was happy with it ended at 315mm from motor to motor.

Setup is as follow.

RCX based design

CC3D FC

Sunnysky 2207 2100kv motors

Hobbywhing Xrotor 20A esc

Cheap 9g servo

5045 Tripple blade props.

After I assembled everything I did the vehicle setup through the Openpilot GCS and checked that all the inputs and outputs are reacting as supposed to and went to my kitchen to test... (this was Saturday night 23:20)

I armed and advanced the throttle and it picked up smoothly, and sat in a stable hover.

Damm, this thing is so stable and nice and I have not even began to play with the PID's or rates or anything, it is bone stock CC3D settings on a generic tricopter.

I flew out a couple of packs over the weekend to get familiar with the setup and how the tri handles and have to say I'm very happy with it and beginning to think I might like Tricopters more over quads...lol

Anyway, thought I want to share my experience and show you some pics, will post them a bit later once I figure out how to

Already thinking of my next build, something bigger and something smaller.

Also want to say thanks to David for the inspiration and hard work he is putting into the Tricopter world.

Cheers from South Africa.

CharelZa

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• 20150530_090210 (800x450).jpg
    20150530_090210 (800x450).jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20150529_233059 (800x450).jpg
    20150529_233059 (800x450).jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20150529_234152 (800x450).jpg
    20150529_234152 (800x450).jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 17

Darkback2

Nice looking Tri. Funny how the more time I spend on this forum the more stuff I want to have and try out!

DB

CharelZa

Thanx guys.
Yes, the 3blade props are nice, I like them allot. I prefer the feel they give over normal ones.
DB, I have to agree, the more I see the more I want...lol

jipp

looks nice, and folds up great. congrats. seems the only weak link in a try is the tail mechanism.. hopefully you wot go through to many servos.

chris.

nilsen

Nice DIY build!

I agree, the appeal of a mini-tri is high :) I build Davids Tri and it's actually very large, I think a mini Tri would be a lot nicer.

Cheers from a fellow South African :D

CharelZa

Thank you guys.
Yes the only real weak point is the tail servo, but last night I picked up a nice Savox upgrade that will be going in.

The original Tri from David looks huge, and I actually cant wait to build it.

The reason I went for the mini first is cause I already had the parts suited for it and also, my mini 250 fpv race quad flew away..... and needed to get a replacement for that size, want to challenge my buddies with the tri in FPV racing..lol

I want to build an even smaller one that I can comfortably fly in my back yard with FPV, this one is small, but still 315mm is a bit big for some tight gaps.

Nice to see another S.A member here Nilsen.

jipp

you should build a wood version of this 3d printed one. from one of our members.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:755420/#instructions
mini tri 2.jpg mini tri.jpg

and here is another mini made from wood this time at 250mm.. ( and you are right there are not many options for 250 ish mini tris on the market. )

from simplecopter.
http://www.simplecopter.com/simplecopter-mini-tricopter-250mm/

250mm simple tri.JPG

i do not care for the tail setup on this one tho.. but im posting it for inspiration.

i think using wood instead of the 3d printed plastic, with carbon would rock. i will try to build one one day. i will use this tail mechanism for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tail-Boom-K...032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4b761b18

and carbon rods.. so for about 20.00 for the tail/and carbon tubes.. so yeah i just have to get some plywood like you used.. i have already ordered the tail piece from the link last month just to build a mini down the road. i bought this over the flight test tough tilt as its smaller.

i have only sketched out the parts to copy to the plywood but this is a project down the road for me.. so yeah,
chrsi.

CharelZa

Hi JIPP,
Thanx for the post and pics. The fist one looks interesting, like the carbon tubes for the arms. The frame should not be that difficult to get together.
Yes, I prefer wood over 3d printing, no real reason but I just do.
I think it is amaizing that you can build something so cheap out of wood and it will fly.
I'm already thinking of my next build but want to get some more ideas, but want a woody quad too.
Good luck with your build when you get started, keep us posted.

lynxaz

I so want a switch blade 250 tri but i lack a 3d printer! Can anyone print that?

I wonder if it could carry my fat shark equipment.

mpbiv

you should build a wood version of this 3d printed one. from one of our members.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:755420/#instructions
View attachment 48069 View attachment 48070

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag too early, but I am working on re-designing a couple things on this copter to make it stronger/cheaper to build. In particular I just printed a new tail and yaw mechanism that will fit bigger servos and attaches using the included servo horns so that other servo brands can be used.

I still haven't figured out how to make plans for a wood version, but the design is out there for anyone who wants to tweak it. In fact if you look closely at the example you posted, that guy used different motor mounts and also redesigned the arm clamps for different carbon tubing. He even published the models he tweaked so that others can do the same.

jipp

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag too early, but I am working on re-designing a couple things on this copter to make it stronger/cheaper to build. In particular I just printed a new tail and yaw mechanism that will fit bigger servos and attaches using the included servo horns so that other servo brands can be used.

I still haven't figured out how to make plans for a wood version, but the design is out there for anyone who wants to tweak it. In fact if you look closely at the example you posted, that guy used different motor mounts and also redesigned the arm clamps for different carbon tubing. He even published the models he tweaked so that others can do the same.

sorry, i always am spamming your design when mini tri come up. i hope you do not mind to much. i always try to give you credit tho. lol. :) i like it tho, so its why i keep doing so.

yeah i am just guessing on the sketches would be cool to be able to get a pdf that i could print and copy to wood then make the needed mods that way.. but its all good. im happy that your design has been modified to me that says you did good.
its like open source but with plastic.

yeah the tilt thing i really had no clue till i found the replacement part on ebay... and figured i could make it work.i figure for 10.00 what the heck, il try it. yeah seems tri-copter weak link is the servo. but i still want to build one. as long as i make it so the servo can be replaced quick and easy.. ..

if you print out the plastic parts maybe you could do a quick trace with some measurements.. that would really help.. just some rough dimensions. ill be sure to put anything i manage to build into a PDF for others who want to make a wood version.
im plan on building your design in wood/carbon one day. i figure ill use 2204 size motors. i may just build the tri-copter that that replacement part is for so i have a better idea of how a tri-copter works.. frame is only 30.00 so i may order full kit.
chris.

CharelZa

That's a pretty sweet build. It looks cool with the 3-blade props!

Thanks mpbiv,
I like you're design too and was looking at the parts on the website and it is really clever design.
I will give a 3d printed frame a go someday, know a couple of people that got one so should not be too hard to twist a couple of arms to print for me...lol

I have to say too that I think it is awesome off you and others to publish you're designs for others to use and modify.

jipp

wow about 100 to get it printed here O_O that is pricey!

wow, that is pretty expensive.. for that may as well buy a 3d printer :D

you maybe able to find a cheaper option, im not sure.. that is what was recommenced by the creator of the tri-copter on the build thread. i just copy and pasted it.

i think 50.00 would be fair?

chris.

CharelZa

So last night I added landing gear to my mini try, by using large cable ties.
It works but I'm pretty sure they wont last very long, reason being the front ones carry almost all the weight and will eventually squish flat under the weigh so will then have to put new ones on.
Is there a different way of doing this or must I perhaps find stronger cable ties"?
Sorry, no pics