Flite Test products in Hobby Town :)

WesBur13

Hey I see that your location is also in Ohio, I go to the hobby town location in mentor. Do you think that they will have it in stock now? I went there a few weeks ago and they said that they haven't gotten any FT stuff yet.

I really cannot answer that, reason being all Hobby Town stores are individually owned and operated. While I hope most will carry it Hobby Town as a company has no say in what stores carry. With the way Hobby Town has been advertising to stores about FT, it's hard to not hunk they would carry it. I'd say just ask them to give you a call when they get it in. I work in the one near the Mansfield area.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
After working with balsa and how amazing and beautiful it is and a work of art when finished, it's hard to go back to foam board. However I still have 10 sheets of the old stuff left and am looking forward to building a flying wing. Im not sure I would purchase the WR board, but may do a speed build kit like the sea duck someday. I think the foam board is perfect for flying wings, balsa probably wouldn't work so well in that application.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I like it for quick and dirty when I want to build something fun that I don't care about. Takes about 3 hours to build the average FT plane and I have no remorse if I pancake it.

Balsa is for when I care and want to build something that will last.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
After working with balsa and how amazing and beautiful it is and a work of art when finished, it's hard to go back to foam board. However I still have 10 sheets of the old stuff left and am looking forward to building a flying wing. Im not sure I would purchase the WR board, but may do a speed build kit like the sea duck someday. I think the foam board is perfect for flying wings, balsa probably wouldn't work so well in that application.

The Sea Duck is a FUN plane. It was my first FT foam build, because I'm a child of nostalgia; I used to LOVE the old Talespin show.

The plane is kind of a tricky build for a first time foam builder, but I would GLADLY build it again. It's been great to hear all the guys at my field and my dad's field say, "You need water to land that sucker!" only to have me set it down nice and smooth on the runway in a belly landing.

Also, I've discovered that the WR board is a little better quality than the non-WR board; it seems to be less resistant to tears and transport abuse...If you can pick it up at your local store, I'd recommend it!

TexMechsRobot

IT'S HERE!!!

Water Resistant Foam Board

Well, sort of. It appears to be back ordered for now. What this means though, is that you can go to your local Hobby Town store and ask them to order this for you. They may even decide to keep some in stock!

Capture.JPG

jaredstrees

Ha! They don't even keep props in stock at my local Hobby Town. Seems to be a decent toy store, but it is a horrible hobby shop. Went in for some 8X6 props and wheels for a scratch build. Nothing. I'd rather give my money to Flite Test than the local Hobby Town. Sad to see the place going this direction. They used to have a ton of great stuff. Not anymore.

TexMechsRobot

Unfortunately it's just based on the store. Since Hobby Town is franchised, some stores will be terrible and others will be excellent. My local store is decent but caters more towards plastic scale models and RC cars and is pretty cramped for space. My second closest store (owned by the same guy) caters to finishing products (paint and supplies) stock material (balsa, brass, aluminum, styrene) and RC planes and has a much more open and inviting feel. The good news, both have the ability to order anything I find on Amain without me paying for shipping. Buying Flite Test products through my local hobby store is a win-win-win in my book. Both get a cut of the profit and it costs me less overall.

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
I really cannot answer that, reason being all Hobby Town stores are individually owned and operated. While I hope most will carry it Hobby Town as a company has no say in what stores carry. With the way Hobby Town has been advertising to stores about FT, it's hard to not hunk they would carry it. I'd say just ask them to give you a call when they get it in. I work in the one near the Mansfield area.

Ain't that the truth. Consistency and focus is wildly different between the different Hobbytowns I have been to in just this state. For a while the owners of the HT in Cbus were very selective about what they allowed their store to carry.

Not to be the debbie downer in the group but, I am actually kinda bummed by this partnership. The Hobbytowns in Cbus really aren't airplane friendly at all, at least not the times I have been there. Their primary focus seems to be cars. However, the Hobbyland store in Clintonville is very active, has several FT airplanes on display in the store (employee builds), several more in the back. At their recent fly-in there were a few customer FT airplanes. I know they would probably like to sell quick build kits, but apparently that part of the market belongs to hobbytown, so...

I applaud FT for wanting to reach lots of people in lots of different markets, and on paper this partnership looks great, but in some communities HT isn't the best situated to support FT's community. sometimes the local guy is doing a better job.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Unfortunately it's just based on the store. Since Hobby Town is franchised, some stores will be terrible and others will be excellent. My local store is decent but caters more towards plastic scale models and RC cars and is pretty cramped for space. My second closest store (owned by the same guy) caters to finishing products (paint and supplies) stock material (balsa, brass, aluminum, styrene) and RC planes and has a much more open and inviting feel. The good news, both have the ability to order anything I find on Amain without me paying for shipping. Buying Flite Test products through my local hobby store is a win-win-win in my book. Both get a cut of the profit and it costs me less overall.

Yes, the HT in Redmond is awsome! I just wish the traffic wasn't so bad to go up there... Unfortunately the Tukwila store doesn't carry much, but it is very close to my house and convieient for those emegency balsa sheets or minor stuff I need on occasion. It is nice you can order through them though and they did say they will be stocking some FT stuff.

jaredstrees

Yeah, I know they can order it, but I'm not a big fan of the wr foam. So I don't buy it or many speed builds. For the cost of shipping parts like motors and props I'd rather avoid them. Not the most inviting atmosphere either. They used to be at least decent here, but the new owners apparently are taking the store in a different direction. All of you that are lucky to have a decent LHS around appreciate it!

TexMechsRobot

Yes, the HT in Redmond is awsome! I just wish the traffic wasn't so bad to go up there... Unfortunately the Tukwila store doesn't carry much, but it is very close to my house and convieient for those emegency balsa sheets or minor stuff I need on occasion. It is nice you can order through them though and they did say they will be stocking some FT stuff.

They do already have some FT stuff. They have a rack up front with some speed build kits on it and they have the power packs for sale in the counter. They are also VERY willing to order whatever you want. I've had a few conversations with a couple of the guys that work there and ordering from amain isn't trouble at all. I'm likely going to be ordering some of the WRFB for some quick builds that I don't care about. The FT planes take me almost no time to build, are fun to fly, and don't get me all emotional if I crash.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Ya, they are pretty cool there. Haven't been there in a few, thats great they have the kits now. Im always emotional when I crash...my precious planes...