Flite Test Water Resistant Foam Board, Worth It?

defhermit

Hey all,

I've been building FT planes for a while now and I have plans to keep building more of these things. Recently I went to Dollar Tree to get my new FT Triplane going and the only boards in stock were the black ones. I've gone ahead with the build and it's going well but the black foam board has some issues. The paper seems weaker than I'm used to, more like construction paper than looseleaf. And there are small areas where the paper is actually not glued to the board. After cutting out a smaller piece there was suddenly like a whole corner of paper flapping off freely.

So it got me started thinking about better options if I find the white paper next time and it has the same problems. I've though about buying the 25 pack of water resistant stuff from FT but I never actually checked out the cost of shipping until today. With a 25 pack costing $50 (totally fair price), the shipping would add $30 to the cost! So $80 for 25 boards. Not outlandish but it makes me wonder:

Is this stuff worth it? Anyone want to tell me not to buy it? Is the white board at DT still better than the black stuff? Is it smarter to minwax my own boards? Is there some other board at some other store that is better?

Sorry if this is a question that is asked all the time.

Thanks!

wedgetailaus

I definitely recommend the water resistant stuff. Don't worry too much on the freight, it costs $75 in shipping to get it across the Pacific and down under :(.

Keno

Hey all,

I've been building FT planes for a while now and I have plans to keep building more of these things. Recently I went to Dollar Tree to get my new FT Triplane going and the only boards in stock were the black ones. I've gone ahead with the build and it's going well but the black foam board has some issues. The paper seems weaker than I'm used to, more like construction paper than looseleaf. And there are small areas where the paper is actually not glued to the board. After cutting out a smaller piece there was suddenly like a whole corner of paper flapping off freely.

So it got me started thinking about better options if I find the white paper next time and it has the same problems. I've though about buying the 25 pack of water resistant stuff from FT but I never actually checked out the cost of shipping until today. With a 25 pack costing $50 (totally fair price), the shipping would add $30 to the cost! So $80 for 25 boards. Not outlandish but it makes me wonder:

Is this stuff worth it? Anyone want to tell me not to buy it? Is the white board at DT still better than the black stuff? Is it smarter to minwax my own boards? Is there some other board at some other store that is better?

Sorry if this is a question that is asked all the time.

Thanks!
Its worth it. It will probably find it to be a bit better than your Min Wax treated boards. Its only draw back is its brown in color kind of waxy which creates a painting issue. If you are going to paint, make sure to lightly sand it or you might find your paint peeling. I use spray on Valspar project perfect for color coat, it works best for me. A good question you ask, enjoy.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Totally worth it for ease of use. One reason not to use it is if you like Minwaxing and/or maybe have certain finishing preferences.

Fly_electric

Am working on finishing up the new (read replacement) FT Cruiser kit.
I like the visibility of the white paper of the original, and would like to make the new plane similar in color.

What particular paint (spray can) type/manufacture is compatible with the new paper and will not attack the foam in the cut hinges?

Thanks

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Am working on finishing up the new (read replacement) FT Cruiser kit.
I like the visibility of the white paper of the original, and would like to make the new plane similar in color.

What particular paint (spray can) type/manufacture is compatible with the new paper and will not attack the foam in the cut hinges?

Thanks

I shoot any foamboard I used with Krylon sanding primer after scuffing up some of the more waxy coated papers. then after that you can use any paint you desire. I also before priming dry brush white Gorilla wood glue on all exposed edges to prevent peeling with an over lap on the paper to ~2mm or what ever distance shaky hands allow that particular day. I am doing my first build finishing with an air brush so will soon have pics of that up.

Primer 2.jpg

Final 2.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
the wood glue/ white Gorilla trick, is best things to do,for later free of problems, Paint dont eat the foam, edges will be fully waterproof, and not easy delaminate :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
the wood glue/ white Gorilla trick, is best things to do,for later free of problems, Paint dont eat the foam, edges will be fully waterproof, and not easy delaminate :)

gbut by doing it at build you prevent it running once that first ding breaks Thru.. That whole ounce of prevention thing.... just sayin

foamboardflyer

I shoot any foamboard I used with Krylon sanding primer after scuffing up some of the more waxy coated papers. then after that you can use any paint you desire. I also before priming dry brush white Gorilla wood glue on all exposed edges to prevent peeling with an over lap on the paper to ~2mm or what ever distance shaky hands allow that particular day. I am doing my first build finishing with an air brush so will soon have pics of that up.

View attachment 209626

View attachment 209627
What model is that, and are there plans for it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... Is the white board at DT still better than the black stuff? ....
I've tried all of the colors, none of them are as good as white FB, black is the next best color. If the Dollar Tree is out, try Ross brand FB from Walmart is very close to Adams (DTFB). Ross is oh so slightly heavier, it's not really worth a mention. The biggest difference, on Ross the paper is very hard to get off, it's stuck on much better.

I use both Adams & Ross depending on which store I happen to be in and which one has stock. I have planes that are half of one & half of the other. I always try to keep a bit of inventory in my workshop and will buy more as need, when it is available.

I prefer the white FB to the waterproof stuff. I find hot glue doesn't stick to the waterproof FB nearly as well as to white FB, therefore you don't need to use nearly as much glue.

Last edited: