Flite Test Wristbands

Do you wear your Flite Test wristband from Flite Fest?

• No, I lost mine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bitogre

I'm I crazy or do other people wear their wristband from Flite Fest 2014? I ask because my wife was wondering why I was still wearing mine. I told her because it is "Flite Test" (the group) and not "Flite Fest" (the event) and I like promoting Flite Test. So, please let me know what you think about wearing your Flite Test wristbands from Flite Fest 2014.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Crazy . . . yes, but we all have to be a little to fit in here ;)

I have to admit I've fought the fan-boy urge to put on the stark black band and be "ultra cool" . . . when I know it's just going to make my wrist hurt after a couple of days.

I know some have complained about them as registration markers, but I like it, and hope they use a differnet color next year . . . having all the colors of past FTFF is street Cred . . . more "Rural US-27" cred than "Skid Row" cred, but there are more open fields to fly out in the boondocks ;)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yeah, I like the FliteTest wristband, but as soon as I drove off the Furey property, it went around my gear shifter. I'm not one for wearing anything around my wrists, neck, etc. This includes watches. Just more stuff to get snagged. It was an old habit from days where if I wear anything, it would have to be "breakaway" capable.

earthsciteach

I do like the wrist bands, but have not worn it since back home. Like makattack, I don't like wearing stuff around my wrists or neck. No jewelry or watches for me. That doesn't mean I won't slip it back on in a moment of sentimentality, though. :eek:

I think they are a great idea for on-site, though. And, kids love them! Just about every kid at registration was excited when they received one.

TTMR

A leaf on the wind
Yeah, I like the FliteTest wristband, but as soon as I drove off the Furey property, it went around my gear shifter. I'm not one for wearing anything around my wrists, neck, etc. This includes watches. Just more stuff to get snagged. It was an old habit from days where if I wear anything, it would have to be "breakaway" capable.

That is exactly my story too. I have done similar with one from the funeral of a dear pilot friend who passed a few years ago that says "blue skies and tail winds" having it around the compass in my plane.

ttprigg

I put mine on the shift lever as I left the property too. I think feeling returned to my hand an hour and a half later... We were late to arrive to the party. I think I heard that we got the "youth" size... My son Ben has his on to this day.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
I'm not positive, but I believe it belongs to my daughter now...that's what i am told.
..edit to add
I will try to take it to any other flying event I goto like any fanboy should, including FF15, which I hope to bring the family next time.

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I think mine will get incorporated into a build eventually. It will remain intact. But it just cries out to me (insert creepy haunting voice) "build with me!!!".

So we will see what happens.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I think mine will get incorporated into a build eventually. It will remain intact. But it just cries out to me (insert creepy haunting voice) "build with me!!!".

So we will see what happens.

Ooooh! I wonder how well these would work as wing bands?

Probbaly way too stiff . . . but sooo tempted to try . . .

bitogre

Ooooh! I wonder how well these would work as wing bands?

Probbaly way too stiff . . . but sooo tempted to try . . .

I'm not sure I'd want to put mine in a place where it would break in a crash. It is a souvenir of Flite Fest 2014 and I want it to keep it around.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm not sure I'd want to put mine in a place where it would break in a crash. It is a souvenir of Flite Fest 2014 and I want it to keep it around.

meh.

Everything has a shelf life. I expect the memories will last far longer than the momentos . . . of course I expect to find my carkeys every morning too . . .

bitogre

meh.

Everything has a shelf life.

True, but why do something that will unnecessarily shorten the shelf life?

I expect the memories will last far longer than the momentos . . .

Yes, memories should last far longer than the "momentos" but the "momentos" can also be used as a conversation starter to give you an opportunity to share your memories with others and encourage them to join you next year. Why put that at risk? Instead, put it someplace safe and where others can see it as something important to you.

of course I expect to find my carkeys every morning too . . .

You gotta watch out for them dammed gremlins. . . :p

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
True, but why do something that will unnecessarily shorten the shelf life?

Well, I appriciate your feelings for it -- I like mine too -- but it's just a thing. I'm learning to hold loosly to "things".

Enjoy them? sure!

Take care of them? It's the responsible thing to do!

Value them . . . wait, who owns who?

Can't say I've gotten it straight in my own head, and YMMV, but I like to keep things in their place, so *when* they're gone, I don't mourn their loss -- The valuable place they held is still sitting in my head ;)

bitogre

Well, I appreciate your feelings for it -- I like mine too -- but it's just a thing. I'm learning to hold loosely to "things".

Enjoy them? sure!

Take care of them? It's the responsible thing to do!

Value them . . . wait, who owns who?

Can't say I've gotten it straight in my own head, and YMMV, but I like to keep things in their place, so *when* they're gone, I don't mourn their loss -- The valuable place they held is still sitting in my head ;)

I agree with you completely. But, I guess you are not understanding the value I am giving the wristbands. I do not value the wristband itself. I value the way it allows me to show my appreciation for Flite Test and all that happened at Flite Fest, the same way a T-Shirt does (it just would be odd to own enough Flite Test T-Shirts to wear a clean one every day). I value the opportunities it gives me to share Flite Test with others and create new connections.

If I lost my wristband, I might be upset for a few minutes but I'd quickly find something else to provide the functions I get from the wristband. The same way I'd be upset if I lost my cell phone or anything else I regularly get significant functionality out of and yet replace on a regular basis. Just as I get a new cell phone every 2 year, I am hoping to replace the Flite Fest 2014 wristband with something new every year at future Flite Fest events. Once replaced, I quickly forget about the old one. I'd only miss it's loss until I had regained its functionality from another item.

But, even though it is easily replaced and forgotten once replaced, it is not something I am going to put into unneeded risk of loosing, just as I limit the risk of damaging my cellphone (I usually buy a case to protect my cellphone from accidental damage and pay for a replacement plan in case of damage).

So, given this, do I own the wristband (or my cellphone) or does the item own me?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
So, given this, do I own the wristband (or my cellphone) or does the item own me?

That, my friend, is for you to decide ;)

Brother, there's no judgment from me on this, I'm just explaining how I walk out "holding loosly" in my life.

It might seem careless to you -- might seem callous even -- but if I were to use it as a wing band, it wouldn't be as one more rubber band in the bag. It would be laid out prominantly with the text facing out -- a final touch, not a raw building material -- Otherwise I would be treating it just like any other rubber band. Using it in a build might be beyond it's decoraitve design, but I think fully in the spirit of FT's scratchbuilds, IMO, making the use very appropriate.

As for putting things in danger, what I have I expect to use. If I can use it for a reasonalble purpose, the risk is weighed. As nice as these little wristbands are, I'd rather them be put to a use with reasonable risk, than gather dust on a shelf. Now how someone defines that use or risk, I suppose that's up to them.