fly sky vs spektrum transmitter and recievers?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My DX8 NEVER failed because of any manufacturing faults or bad quality. Both times it was a hundred percent my fault. The first time I broke a switch by accidentally bumping into a wall while holding my tx. The second time I managed to mess up the diversity antenna while trying to “fix” something inside. Even though that might be voiding the warranty, they still fixed it for a very minimal cost.
Ask around and you will find experiences similar to mine. Spektrums don’t fail on their own, it’s user error that’s the problem.

Also while I am on the topic of Spektrum I will add that it definitely isn’t for everybody. For the op, something like a Jumper TX-16 would probably be better since they would most likely be flying smaller foamies. If you fly bigger or more expensive planes, that’s when you want to go with Spektrum or Futaba.
Same, the one time I had to send my Spektrum in was entirely my fault, I accidentally broke the switch on it.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Last weekend at the airfield 4 big planes went down... 'control link issues' were the stated explanations. to my knowledge 3 of those were running spektrum. Me running my RM TX16S and my son with his Flysky FS-i6X where the only people not complaining about radio link issues (even the guy with the TBS Tango 2 was reporting that he was getting unusually low link quality - which surprised me, but he was the only person on 900MHz... so I can't tell what to make of that.)

And I was flying during at least one of those 'control link issues' - so I was dealing with the same RF environment.
What the radio manufacturers do not tell you is that all 2.4GHz radios are FCC compliant in that they have collision avoidance. In other words they check to ensure the radio channel is clear before they will transmit so that they do not cause interference with other users. If it is never clear the transmitter will never transmit.

The Spektrum radios easily recognise other spektrum transmissions but do not recognise the narrower FHSS transmissions very well. In addition the FHSS types use narrower radio channels and more of them and so they can work better with reduced radio spectrum availability.

Finally the transmitted power is measured by adding all of the transmitted power across all of the channel in use. A wideband signal has lower peak power and so the FHSS transmissions just have higher peak power and can be received even if in the middle and over the top of a lower peak power wideband transmission.

Simply put the Spektrum radios do not like having too many other Spektrums operating at the same time when the usable radio spectrum is reduced due to microwave ovens and even WiFi installations in the residential environment.

Just a little Tech!

Have fun!

flymonkey

Hi all - while on the topic of manufacturers, does a Spektrum transmitter work ok with with a Flysky receiver?

Thanks, a noob if you couldn't tell :)

Foamforce

Hi all - while on the topic of manufacturers, does a Spektrum transmitter work ok with with a Flysky receiver?

Nope. I believe Spektrum radios will only work with Spektrum compatible receivers.

Fwiw, I started out with the FlySky FS-i6x and FS-ia6b receiver. I have about 15 of those receivers now. I recently upgraded to a RadioMaster TX16 and it binds easy to the FlySky receivers, so that made the transition painless. The RadioMaster is substantially more complicated to set up though, so it may be worth starting with the cheap FlySky transmitter just to make it easier to get started in the hobby.

joelspangler

In general, the brand of your radio determines what receivers you can use. They are definitely not cross compatible with other brands. Some brands have multiple protocols and aren't even cross compatible with themselves. There are 4-in-1 modules that allow you to communicate with almost any receiver - the 4 chips can talk about 60 or 70 different protocols. Radios like most from radiomaster have the 4-in-1 chip built in, but there are also removable 4-in-1 modules that slide in to the back of radios, if your radio has an expansion slot. The TX16s and Zorro (I have both) are both excellent radios. If you are looking to buy for extreme compatibility, make sure you buy the 4-in-1 version and not the CC2500 (only one of the 4 modules), or ELRS version (totally new protocol). I haven't delved into ELRS yet, but that protocol is a new generation protocol that is gaining popularity - it allows for faster response and greater distances than things like Spektrum and Flysky protocols. I'll probably buy an ELRS module to stick to the back of one of my radios... the ELRS receivers are some of the best cost solutions out there right now.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang

I feel like the other two answers focused too much on the brand of transmitter and receiver when this is really a problem of protocols.
So a protocol is essentially like the language that the transmitter and receiver use to speak to each other. Spektrum uses DSM2 and DSMX (with DSMX being the newer and definitely better one) and Flysky uses other protocols. Because the Spektrum transmitter and Flysky receiver use different protocols they will not be able to communicate effectively, so they will not work together.
To find out if any receiver will work with your transmitter, just find out the protocol(s) of your transmitter and the protocol of your desired receiver and make sure they match. My Spektrum DX8 can use DSM2 or DSMX, so I make sure to buy receivers that will run on one of those protocols. I do want to specify though, that I don't have to use Spektrum receivers just because I have a Spektrum transmitter. Other manufacturers also make receivers that will run on DSM2 and DSMX, so I can use those as long as the protocols match and as long as the receiver itself is reliable.
So essentially the transmitter and receiver being different brands will not be a problem in getting them to work together, but having different protocols will definitely be a problem, so make sure your protocols match. If your transmitter is capable of running multiple protocols you will have more options for what receiver you can use since more receivers will be able to communicate with your transmitter.

Bricks

Master member
What the radio manufacturers do not tell you is that all 2.4GHz radios are FCC compliant in that they have collision avoidance. In other words they check to ensure the radio channel is clear before they will transmit so that they do not cause interference with other users. If it is never clear the transmitter will never transmit.

The Spektrum radios easily recognise other spektrum transmissions but do not recognise the narrower FHSS transmissions very well. In addition the FHSS types use narrower radio channels and more of them and so they can work better with reduced radio spectrum availability.

Finally the transmitted power is measured by adding all of the transmitted power across all of the channel in use. A wideband signal has lower peak power and so the FHSS transmissions just have higher peak power and can be received even if in the middle and over the top of a lower peak power wideband transmission.

Simply put the Spektrum radios do not like having too many other Spektrums operating at the same time when the usable radio spectrum is reduced due to microwave ovens and even WiFi installations in the residential environment.

Just a little Tech!

Have fun!

How do you explain places like Joe Nahl where there are possibly hundreds of planes in the air, with the majority being Spektrum, and no one is loseing planes due to radio interference. Many LOC is the way the plane is set up it is just easier to blame the radio itself.

I have both DX9 and Radiomaster TX16s only loss of control I have experienced was the on off switch on a glow decided it was time to quit working. I pay huge attention to how my receivers are set up in my larger gassers and Glow planes. Cured that problem by going to fault on switches.

CrazyguyFPV

Well, as one that started on Spektrum (had 3), then went to FrSky, but never had FlySky, and am now on Radiomaster, I will NEVER go back to Spektrum. OpenTX and multiprotocol are your friend, and proprietary radios are not. Cheap used stuff excluded.

In the end, it will really come down to what you want to fly or do RC.

RadioMaster running OpenTX has capabilities and flexibility that make it compatible with just about anything RC, whereas, some companies try to lock you in to their market and don't really care about progress and innovation unless it lines their pockets. I don't know enough about FlySky to know much other than the do run Open Firmware.
Out of curiosity, which FrSky TX do you use, or are you saying you're using the Radiomaster as the FrSky TX?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Out of curiosity, which FrSky TX do you use, or are you saying you're using the Radiomaster as the FrSky TX?
The RadioMaster TXes have a multiprotocol module which allows them to be used with Fly Sky and frsky.

Last edited:

synjin

Elite member
I started with an FS-i6 which I eventually updated to 10 channels. Worked great, and the receivers are fairly inexpensive (though the B receivers are the better receivers). Went to the FlySky Nirvana when it came out and still love it. The game style controller is better for me. Honestly though, unless it's a complicated build with gear and flaps, I go for my Jumper T-Lite 4 in 1 TX as my daily driver. OpenTX, multi-protocol, easy to carry and use, and great range. All for about $80. I use it with my FlySky RXs. The only downside for me is the small screen. Of course, at 60 I'd need readers with any screen so it's not a big deal.

FlyBreakFixFly

Jumping in here.

I began with a non computer Spektrum DX5. That got changed to a computerized DX6E when buying a Turbo Timber. That worked fine for a bit. Then a screaming deal on a gently used Radiomaster TX16 came along.

I've used the TX16 (running EdgeTx) with both Spektrum and Flysky RX's without issue. So far it's been standard PWM, nothing fancy like PPM or any digital buses.

skymaster

Elite member
I think all receivers are good and all depends on what you are looking for. some of us just want a simple receiver plug and play and go and some of us like the complex stuff asign channels mix channel recode the whole setup the look the feel what ever makes you feel comfortable. right.