Foam board super light glider?

Epic

New to RC planes
I really like the simple soarer but it's a bit heavy. I'm looking for a foam board design that's super light so I can tow it up with my friends radian. Maybe a stick style aircraft? :eek:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Recently and in the past people have tried making DTFB DLGs. Here is a link to the most recent. They are very light and minimalistic. Your goal is for something to tow, but I think if you follow some of the DLG build techniques you can get something good out of it. Overall you can try replacing the heavy SS fuselage with a lightweight rod, and maybe build a lighter wing.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Adam's Foam Board is extremely light if you remove the paper. But you sacrifice a lot of strength by removing it.

If you want super cheap, I highly recommending making the fuselage out of foam board rather than any sort of stick. Simply cut out three 2" strips of foam board and remove the paper from one, and remove the paper from one side on the other two. Then use a very thin, a minimal amount, of Gorilla Glue to laminate the three strips together. Have the paper on the outside of the fuselage to keep it's strength.

A KF step for the wings should be good enough because of how light you'll end up making the plane. It's up to you, but I think how far lighter a simple KF step would be versus a typical airfoil would be worth the sacrifice of lift.

Make sure you build in some dihedral or polyhedral. Gliders need that so you're not constantly producing drag when using ailerons to level off the plane.

other options

I personally am interested in making a dollar tree foamboard glider (for me a DLG) as well. I do not know much on how to make one but I can give you recommendations on small gliders that you can buy. First of all there is the UMX radian. It is three channel (rudder elevator throttle). It is quite small and has a SUPER thin airfoil. It does have a motor though. There is also the UMX whipit. This is a 2channel (rudder elevator) DLG that has not been released yet but will be released pretty soon. It is cheap (like 65 bucks). It is very small and seems to float very well. You can back order it now or wait until it is released.

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Thanks everyone! I'm going to be making a dlg with foamboard.

Important! Use a metal spar. (A small hacksaw blade will do.) Having your wings fold is spectacular, but not desirable.
I was flying one of my v1.3 FB DLGs. I threw it and the wing came unglued from the fuse. The wing fluttered to the ground to my right, and my mind is going: Well, where did the fuse go? I looked over and watched (in slow-motion it seemed) as the fuse went a good 200yards and ended its flight in an epic lawn-dart. What a memory...

I have since learned to use a generous amount of hot glue to secure the wings to the fuse...

Last edited:

hhaf

Or if not a metal spar, then a carbon one. Perhaps not as cheap, but light and durable.

Would be nice to see a picture or video if anything came out of this.

flyboa

Elite member
I am building a lightweight 80" glider. UMX receiver with a rudder/elevator setup. AUW with a 1s 150mA battery 165g. Will try a bungee launch soon. Anyone with bungee launch experience?
20190909_165611.jpg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
very impressive, I'm guessing it will thermal well with the motor off - I am always inspired by your builds - I have been messing about with programming my TX while we wait for the early spring winds to go away! :D

flyboa

Elite member
I will turn on the ESC brake setting and that will stop the prop from wind milling. It does climb out very nice. Should be a good thermal ship.