Foamboard SAAB JAS-39 Gripen EDF (images, plans, build)

Widkin

STARTED LOL
Hi, I got your pm but could not reply since the thread was locked for replies (forum bug?) so I post here instead.

Attached are a few pics of the old and updated motor placement. There you can also see that I changed my EDF unit to a larger one, and this required to have edf spacers in two places on the plans, to accommodate different size edf. That's why there are edf spacer long and short, on the plans.

Good luck with the build!

Attachments

• IMG_20160706_145833.jpg
    IMG_20160706_145833.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20160410_185605.jpg
    20160410_185605.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20160410_183805_HDR.jpg
    20160410_183805_HDR.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160706_145903.jpg
    IMG_20160706_145903.jpg
    891.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160707_100946.jpg
    IMG_20160707_100946.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160707_101013.jpg
    IMG_20160707_101013.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Peeradol

Hi, I got your pm but could not reply since the thread was locked for replies (forum bug?) so I post here instead.

Attached are a few pics of the old and updated motor placement. There you can also see that I changed my EDF unit to a larger one, and this required to have edf spacers in two places on the plans, to accommodate different size edf. That's why there are edf spacer long and short, on the plans.

Wow I want to see that fly haha

Widkin

Wow I want to see that fly haha

Unfortunately, it didn't. It was way too heavy with the foamboard I used (not FT foamboard) at 1,6kg with a 4S 3300mAh battery. But with FT foamboard and a smaller battery with high C rating, it could be nice. Might build just that one day. :)

Peeradol

Unfortunately, it didn't. It was way too heavy with the foamboard I used (not FT foamboard) at 1,6kg with a 4S 3300mAh battery. But with FT foamboard and a smaller battery with high C rating, it could be nice. Might build just that one day. :)
I will waiting to see until that day.

Peeradol

I had nothing to build it so i use a coke can to build it. haha

Attachments

• IMG_20190507_144858.jpg
    IMG_20190507_144858.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190507_144858.jpg
    IMG_20190507_144858.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

blitzr3n3l

Hey also I saw that the notch at the the front of the wing has no slots to go into the two pieces that form the front part of the inner fuselage is that a mistake on the plans ?

Widkin

Hey also I saw that the notch at the the front of the wing has no slots to go into the two pieces that form the front part of the inner fuselage is that a mistake on the plans ?

That is intentional, the front fusalage just slides into the wing slots. Double notches or slots would be too hard to fit. If I remember correctly, I even cut away the part of the wing inside the notch, so that the wing was just in contact with the outside of the fuselage part. It made it much easier to fit, but on the other hand, the foamboard I used was pretty stiff. Maybe it's easier to slide things together with FT foamboard.

It's hard to remember everything, this was years ago I made it.

Bayboos

Hello Widkin! Long time no see! :)

Hello new Grippen builders :)

I see the Gripen gains popularity here; I'm glad to see this happening! Unfortunately my Gripen is on the repair stand again. Remember the issue with loosing control I mentioned in the last post? Well, it's definitely not ailerons :) But that means I need to reattach the cabin/nose again (surprisingly, it broke off pretty clean just between the air intakes), rebuild the bottom of the mid-fuselage (the battery ripped off a large hole when it flew trough the floor on impact) and figure out how to make the whole wings stiffer. It would be much easier during the build; now since the plane is already built it may be a bit challenging. But It will fly again, nothing can stop me now. Well, my three kids can, but I will not give up!

One thing got me thinking, though. When looking at the photos posted by Peeradol and blitzr3n3l and comparing them to your last ones (with the motor placement) I see that they both are using exactly the same plans I did, which are different from yours. More specifically, the plans we are using have the motor located between the ailerons (the aft one on your photos), with absolutely no space for the motor in the fwd location. I see your motors are very large and probably in the metal shroud, and that means much heavier than the one I use. That may be the reason why you moved it forward; from my experience I would rather have it moved back to bring the CG to more reasonable range. But that may be just me; after all I built the "mini Gripen" (100% plans instead of 110%). And I'm very happy with the result so far!

About the missing slot/notch on the fwd fuselage to meet with the wings: I noticed the same thing. Using the plans I did and apparently the two new builders do, the fuselage part needs to go further back than the wing notch allows, suggesting that there should be a matching slot on the fuselage. But there isn't. Additionally, having the fuselage notched on the right spot would make it easier to keep the right geometry during the build.

And one last thing. As you can probably see, everyone starts to build the plane from wings. But there's a tiny problem with that: the wings don't "touch" each other, which forces the builder to align them using other parts of the plane. Because of that, it is very easy to misalign them just by a tiny bit, which will result with the whole plane being a little bit "crocked". My plane is. Not by much, and it does not seem to influence the flight characteristics; but still. It would be much easier to keep the wings in the right alignment if they would have at least one common edge (a keyed one would be even better), for example right behind the inner fuselage (which can be shortened, just like you did when relocating the motor) and in front of the EDF housing. The wings come very close to each other already in this area so it would not be a large altering of the plans; yet it would make the assembly much easier and safer.

Peeradol: I see you are using Depron, at least for the fuselage. But it seems like the wing is made out of something different, probably covered with paper. What's that? Are you really going to use two kinds of the build material? That may actually be a good choice! Especially considering problems with my plane. And the idea with bearings and a coke can is great! Good Luck!

blitzr3n3l: as someone wise once said: every journey starts with the first step. I know I'm not as good of a source as the Great Widkin is; but my memory is much more fresh so if you'd have any questions, please feel free to ask. I'll be more than glad to help. Good Luck, and have fun!

Widkin

I see the Gripen gains popularity here; I'm glad to see this happening! Unfortunately my Gripen is on the repair stand again. Remember the issue with loosing control I mentioned in the last post? Well, it's definitely not ailerons :) But that means I need to reattach the cabin/nose again (surprisingly, it broke off pretty clean just between the air intakes), rebuild the bottom of the mid-fuselage (the battery ripped off a large hole when it flew trough the floor on impact) and figure out how to make the whole wings stiffer. It would be much easier during the build; now since the plane is already built it may be a bit challenging. But It will fly again, nothing can stop me now. Well, my three kids can, but I will not give up!

One thing got me thinking, though. When looking at the photos posted by Peeradol and blitzr3n3l and comparing them to your last ones (with the motor placement) I see that they both are using exactly the same plans I did, which are different from yours. More specifically, the plans we are using have the motor located between the ailerons (the aft one on your photos), with absolutely no space for the motor in the fwd location. I see your motors are very large and probably in the metal shroud, and that means much heavier than the one I use. That may be the reason why you moved it forward; from my experience I would rather have it moved back to bring the CG to more reasonable range. But that may be just me; after all I built the "mini Gripen" (100% plans instead of 110%). And I'm very happy with the result so far!

About the missing slot/notch on the fwd fuselage to meet with the wings: I noticed the same thing. Using the plans I did and apparently the two new builders do, the fuselage part needs to go further back than the wing notch allows, suggesting that there should be a matching slot on the fuselage. But there isn't. Additionally, having the fuselage notched on the right spot would make it easier to keep the right geometry during the build.

And one last thing. As you can probably see, everyone starts to build the plane from wings. But there's a tiny problem with that: the wings don't "touch" each other, which forces the builder to align them using other parts of the plane. Because of that, it is very easy to misalign them just by a tiny bit, which will result with the whole plane being a little bit "crocked". My plane is. Not by much, and it does not seem to influence the flight characteristics; but still. It would be much easier to keep the wings in the right alignment if they would have at least one common edge (a keyed one would be even better), for example right behind the inner fuselage (which can be shortened, just like you did when relocating the motor) and in front of the EDF housing. The wings come very close to each other already in this area so it would not be a large altering of the plans; yet it would make the assembly much easier and safer.

Peeradol: I see you are using Depron, at least for the fuselage. But it seems like the wing is made out of something different, probably covered with paper. What's that? Are you really going to use two kinds of the build material? That may actually be a good choice! Especially considering problems with my plane. And the idea with bearings and a coke can is great! Good Luck!

blitzr3n3l: as someone wise once said: every journey starts with the first step. I know I'm not as good of a source as the Great Widkin is; but my memory is much more fresh so if you'd have any questions, please feel free to ask. I'll be more than glad to help. Good Luck, and have fun!

Hey Bayboos, glad to see you are still working on the plane. Sorry about the crash, but glad the design seems to work as intended. I had the same idé as David Windeståhls Viggen, with a weak join between the nose and the main fuselage. Many of my first attempts that led to nose dives only led to a snap off of the nose that was quickly taped back on in the field.

Regarding the mysteriously misaligned notch, I've got to check my old cad model. Maybe I've made a boo boo there. But worry not, you can remove it, it was just meant as a way to align things.

Regarding aligning the wings, I think I glued them to the carbon fiber spar to get them straight, before much else. It's tricky this plane, since it's not flat on the bottom like the Viggen, but has both a bottom and top fuselage. Adding some better key areas where the wings align might be good. (I even had a crazy idea of making the fuselage as a whole piece with only a few slots in the sides, and then making the wings slide in after. They could maybe even be detachable with a plastic bolt or something, but I think that might be something for later, when it flies better, lol)

About my photos, I sort of started to rebuild my V2 into V3, with the motor much further forward and therefore had to shorten the inner parts of the air inlets. The CG was way too far back with the larger motor, and even with the old one it was sketchy at best, even with the battery in the front of the nose. And I would like to have the battery in the main fuselage, between the air intakes, to protect it better during hard impacts.

V3 is not ready with plans though, sorry about that. Life does not let me make much with this, I've got a 9 month old son and a buttload at work, and a wife and a house... You know how it is. Great to see the old thread still lives, though. I'm looking forward to see the progress from you all, and I will try to help whenever I can :)

Peeradol

Hi Bayboos the wing is made from craftboard from Dollarama. I use different material because craftboard is too heavy so i use depron to make it lighter and easier to bending.

Bayboos

Hi Bayboos the wing is made from craftboard from Dollarama. I use different material because craftboard is too heavy so i use depron to make it lighter and easier to bending.

That's a brilliant idea. I assume this craftboard is much stiffer, which will let you avoid my problems. And since I have to reinforce the wings, the weight penalty will be greatly reduces. All the other parts of the plane can be built with Depron and will be strong and stiff enough - I have no problems with them at all.

Good luck, and have fun!

blitzr3n3l

Alright guys that front fuselage was a pain to glue and I can't put glue in the creases of it bcz it will dry by the time I finish Try to alight all that folds sigh
But progress looking good edf and all other necessary components are arriving next week will keep you guys posted on the progress
2019-05-10 11.42.59 1.jpg

Widkin

Looking good! I'm just worried that you have a foamboard similar to what I used, and it ended up a bit on the heavy side. Definitely get som help to hand launch it.

I also copy in what I said in our pm thread about the leading edge slats:

Hey what effect does the leading edge slats have on the performance of the plane?

Probably no effect at all, but I have not tried with and without. I just thought it would look good, and maybe, just maybe, it would add some camber to the wing that would help with tip stalls. Basically, if you tune the plane so that the ailerons are angled down a bit during level flight, and use the canards to counteract this, you would get a bit of camber on the main wing, like using flaps.

blitzr3n3l

Thanks for the advice ....also the foam board I used is the same one I build all my planes with and they all flew so I don't think there should be any problems..... the foam board i use is from the brand called FLOMO ,it's some nice light weight stuff