Fokker D.VII / 2022 Dawn Patrol Challenge

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Hey all, this is my entry for the 2022 Dawn Patrol.

Fokker D.VII at 1/6 scale, which equates to 47" wingspan (47" is actually wrong, 1/6 is 58". I'll see how the first version turns out and maybe make a real 1/6 after the first version is competed). I'm keeping it pretty scale, but I am making a few sacrifices. Enlarged the rudder by about 15 percent, went with a straight nose instead of a nose that tapers near the prop (from the top view), and the prop probably will be higher up than the full scale.

I'm hoping to add scale details though, like machine guns and the engine cylinders. Also will be experimenting a little to get a good 5-color lozenge pattern for the bottoms of the wings and tailplane.

ArtistsRendition.png

Paint scheme will be 40-victory ace Rudolph Berthold

Dawn Patrol challenge: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flite-fest-2022-community-challenge-–-wwi-“dawn-patrol”.69196/page-11

Last edited:

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Hey all, this is my entry for the 2022 Dawn Patrol.

Fokker D.VII at 1/6 scale, which equates to 47" wingspan. Keeping it pretty scale, but I am making a few sacrifices. Enlarged the rudder by about 15 percent, went with a straight nose instead of a nose that tapers near the prop (from the top view), and the prop probably will be higher up than the full scale.

I'm hoping to add scale details though, like machine guns and the engine cylinders. Also will be experimenting a little to get a good 5-color lozenge pattern for the bottoms of the wings and tailplane.

View attachment 224870

Paint scheme will be 40-victory ace Rudolph Berthold

Dawn Patrol challenge: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flite-fest-2022-community-challenge-–-wwi-“dawn-patrol”.69196/page-11
you did math wrong wingspan is 67.6 inches or so

ThatsALotOfPlanes

you did math wrong wingspan is 67.6 inches or so

You're right, the first Google result for Fokker D.VII wingspan is a homebuilt version. Oops.
Real wingspan is 29 feet 2 inches, so 1/6 would be 58 inches.
Which is unfortunate since I just finished cutting out the 47 inch version...
Thanks for the catch!

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Build is going smoothly so far on version one. The pictures below show the top wing on a temporary jig as the wing struts are still in progress.
20220430_195706.jpg

20220430_195747.jpg

Below is the first test section of the lozenge camo. Its a printed pattern on regular printer paper, which I trimmed to fit this piece and glued on with Elmer's stuck glue. It turned out pretty well, although I may mess with color settings for the rest of the airplane. This piece is actually the little wing that goes between the wheels, it's 8 inch span and 3.5 inch chord. Wonder how much lift I'll get out if it :p
20220430_195900.jpg

The hatch is modeled after the FT Mig-3. It slides back and the hook on the undeeside of the hatch grabs the back of the battery access hole. The top wing will still obstruct battery access so I'm going to see about making a 6 inch section from the trailing edge to the spar hinge up. I have some spring loaded pin latches laying around that will be perfect for it.
20220430_200020.jpg

Yankee2003

Build is going smoothly so far on version one. The pictures below show the top wing on a temporary jig as the wing struts are still in progress.
View attachment 225062

View attachment 225063

Below is the first test section of the lozenge camo. Its a printed pattern on regular printer paper, which I trimmed to fit this piece and glued on with Elmer's stuck glue. It turned out pretty well, although I may mess with color settings for the rest of the airplane. This piece is actually the little wing that goes between the wheels, it's 8 inch span and 3.5 inch chord. Wonder how much lift I'll get out if it :p
View attachment 225064

The hatch is modeled after the FT Mig-3. It slides back and the hook on the undeeside of the hatch grabs the back of the battery access hole. The top wing will still obstruct battery access so I'm going to see about making a 6 inch section from the trailing edge to the spar hinge up. I have some spring loaded pin latches laying around that will be perfect for it.
View attachment 225065

Looks really nice.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

The airframe is almost done! So far I'm really happy with how it looks, I think the lozenge came out well, although it created a warping problem on the single-sheet horizontal stab. Weight for the airframe sans any elecs or related hardware is 594 grams.
The not so good: the outer struts' placement is scale, but that placement puts them on the single sheet undercamber part of the bottom wing. Weak spot, even with the basswood reinforcements I put on. There are more struts that aren't on the plane yet that go between the fuselage and top wing, hopefully that will alleviate some of the stress on the outer struts.
Many other minor changes are planned for the slightly larger second version. Right now I'm going to get this one flying, and if it falls apart midair, it'll look good while doing it :ROFLMAO:
20220506_194138.jpg

20220506_194147.jpg

20220506_194320.jpg

Last edited:

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Quick update, bad weather and full scale flight training (yay!) have been getting in the way of the maiden. It'll be up in the air Saturday morning if nothing apocalyptic happens 🤞

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Flight report: it flew!
Started off with a pretty sketchy takeoff and first lap of the field. Turns out it was pretty tail heavy and needed more expo on the elevator. I put a heavier battery in and adjusted the elevator, and it flew decent. Still tailheavy (which, combined with the large wing area, made it very floaty), but with a little shorter empannage and more careful construction, the second version will be a lot better. The landing gear needs a total redesign though, the wing between the wheels started flopping around in flight causing some instability. Overall not a terrible first flight, but one that warrants some changes.

Tench745

Master member
Flight report: it flew!
Started off with a pretty sketchy takeoff and first lap of the field. Turns out it was pretty tail heavy and needed more expo on the elevator. I put a heavier battery in and adjusted the elevator, and it flew decent. Still tailheavy (which, combined with the large wing area, made it very floaty), but with a little shorter empannage and more careful construction, the second version will be a lot better. The landing gear needs a total redesign though, the wing between the wheels started flopping around in flight causing some instability. Overall not a terrible first flight, but one that warrants some changes.

I'll be interested in your solution for the axle fairing, I need to figure out what I'm doing for the same on my Tommy.