FT Scout XL : Flite Fest 2022 Dawn Patrol Challenge

Yankee2003

Okay, I am as far with my Scout XL build as I'm going to take it for now. I will finish the rest at Flite Fest. Here is a sneak peak of my "Black Knight" Scout XL. I built my prototype with the rattiest old foam board I had laying around. My original plan was to build the SBK for the event and make that one look really nice. But, Keegan hasn't been home at all to build anything, so I'm giving him my XL kit and I'm going to help him build his at the event. So, my ratty "Black Knight" has A LOT of "character" now. It's fitting, just a flesh wound.

Fictional aircraft, fictional livery. :geek:

View attachment 227345
View attachment 227346
View attachment 227347
View attachment 227348
View attachment 227349
View attachment 227350
View attachment 227351
View attachment 227352

I'm invincible!

That is very cool.

The Fopster

Master member
Okay, I am as far with my Scout XL build as I'm going to take it for now. I will finish the rest at Flite Fest. Here is a sneak peak of my "Black Knight" Scout XL. I built my prototype with the rattiest old foam board I had laying around. My original plan was to build the SBK for the event and make that one look really nice. But, Keegan hasn't been home at all to build anything, so I'm giving him my XL kit and I'm going to help him build his at the event. So, my ratty "Black Knight" has A LOT of "character" now. It's fitting, just a flesh wound.

View attachment 227345
View attachment 227346
View attachment 227347
View attachment 227348
View attachment 227349
View attachment 227350
View attachment 227351
View attachment 227352

I'm invincible!
Amazed how good that simple black and white scheme looks. Brilliant!

Intashu

Elite member

I'm invincible!

That looks amazing! Just keep her out of the sun when not flying! I made that mistake on a black painted plane and she uh.... came undone on me!

WillL84

2mj99q.jpg

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Don’t forget to use a washer on the motor shaft for the kit motor like me. I saw the washer but didn’t realize that the nut was bottoming out on the threads and not really keeping the prop tight.
EA718EEA-BDA8-4709-B3B3-F7ACA7C11616.jpeg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here are some photos of the "Black Knight" in all his glory before the Dawn patrol on Saturday morning. I was able to get it finished late Friday night and maiden it very early (0600) on Saturday morning. I also had a great time helping my son Keegan (@AkimboGlueGuns) finish up his Scout XL on Friday night after I finished mine. It was a late night and and an early next morning (0200-0600) but it was so worth it.

1656340192666.png

1656340232852.png

1656340248885.png

Here is a shot of the 'Black Knight' vs the 'Black Spy' (Spy vs. Spy). The 'Black Spy' won the people's choice Best Scout XL award and was made by my good friend and local flying buddy Andre Ozols. Andre also won the Best Crash award.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
While my efforts were valiant, the first night of comfortable sleep kept me from flying in the patrol, and my big project kept me from sending it. however, it was great meeting with @SP0NZ , @AkimboGlueGuns, @wilmracer et. al and @Merv the night before, before/while the Kareoke shooed the sensible from the STEM tent Friday Night.
IMG_20220625_002507149.jpg

I will Fly the DFW Floh at the home field instead, videos will be posted it on the build log.

This was a fun project to be part of. Big Thanks to DAN for getting it organized.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
While my efforts were valiant, the first night of comfortable sleep kept me from flying in the patrol, and my big project kept me from sending it. however, it was great meeting with @SP0NZ , @AkimboGlueGuns, @wilmracer et. al and @Merv the night before, before/while the Kareoke shooed the sensible from the STEM tent Friday Night.
View attachment 227768
I will Fly the DFW Floh at the home field instead, videos will be posted it on the build log.

This was a fun project to be part of. Big Thanks to DAN for getting it organized.
I had a great time hanging out with you. I was a little stressed getting mine and then Keegan's (@AkimboGlueGuns) Scout XL's done, but it was a good night.

Karaoke was "entertaining" :ROFLMAO:

All-in-all Keegan and I were able to get both planes ready, and got to bed at 0200. I woke up at 0600 Saturday morning to maiden the Black Knight. It went smooth and I had a blast on Saturday with the Dawn Patrol and WWI streamer combat.

dap35

Elite member
Here are some photos of the "Black Knight" in all his glory before the Dawn patrol on Saturday morning. I was able to get it finished late Friday night and maiden it very early (0600) on Saturday morning. I also had a great time helping my son Keegan (@AkimboGlueGuns) finish up his Scout XL on Friday night after I finished mine. It was a late night and and an early next morning (0200-0600) but it was so worth it.

View attachment 227744
View attachment 227745

View attachment 227746

Here is a shot of the 'Black Knight' vs the 'Black Spy' (Spy vs. Spy). The 'Black Spy' won the people's choice Best Scout XL award and was made by my good friend and local flying buddy Andre Ozols. Andre also won the Best Crash award.
I see the black knight's helmet, and all that comes to mind is Monty Python's Black Knight :)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Yes, we all were quite a distraction from building.
BTW, great looking plane, good to meet you.
@Merv send a pic so I can remember who you are. Sorry, but I meet so many people there and I'm old, I forget stuff.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
My good friend @wilmracer bought the Black Knight so I did not need to destroy in in combat at Flite Fest. I hope that he gets to enjoy that plane for many years to come. I was not looking forward to having it ripped to shreds. Thanks Carl!

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
My good friend @wilmracer bought the Black Knight so I did not need to destroy in in combat at Flite Fest. I hope that he gets to enjoy that plane for many years to come. I was not looking forward to having it ripped to shreds. Thanks Carl!

She made it home safe and will be dusted off this weekend when I unload the trailer. Can't wait to get her in the air!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
She made it home safe and will be dusted off this weekend when I unload the trailer. Can't wait to get her in the air!
When you get it all cleaned up and looking good, could you please take some photos of the model? I have a couple, but none of them are very good. Would love to have some nice pics of it.

Burnhard

Quick question to the group, we have a floatplane event coming up in two months. To what size do I need to enlarge the standard floats to make them work for the simple scout XL?