FT Duster Dry Weight

dylanbeaudette

We've recently completed a couple of test flights of the FT Duster (speed-build kit) using a couple of different configurations, all which felt like poor performance. Checking our dry weight, it seems that we may be a little over the design weight as specified in the plans:
  • 535g with landing gear
  • 470g without landing gear
  • 439g design weight
So far, all of our tests have been with a 10x4.5 prop attached to an EMAX GT2215/10 1100kV brushless motor.
  • 2200mAh battery with and without landing gear: sluggish and prone to tip stalls
  • 1300mAh battery with landing gear: good top speed, but surprisingly slow to climb
This is the first short / low-wing model that we have flown, so perhaps my expectations are off. It seemed like this design would have more power than e.g. FT Scout. We were careful not to use excessive glue while assembling the speed-build kit. Two questions:
  1. How did we end up being so far over the deign weight?
  2. The plans call for a 9x4.7 or 9x6 prop; are we reducing performance by using the larger 10x4.5 prop?
Thanks!

bisco

Elite member
if you haven't decorated it at all, it has to be glue?

i built one a long time ago with spec motor and prop, needed an aura to stabilize it.
i notice josh flies everything 90 mph, which isn't my style, so tip stalls are a constant concern with all my models. i try to remember to speed up in the turns when flying low and slow.

dylanbeaudette

Thanks for the ideas. I've painted it with the same kind of paint we use on all of our models. I'd say that we used a "reasonable" amount of hot glue. Not any more than we might use on any other model.

bisco

Elite member
i can't think of anything else that would increase weight, if the motor and electronics are spec

dylanbeaudette

Some updates after more flying and feedback from more experienced pilots:
  • With the canopy installed, it is very hard to trim yaw, and rudder seems underpowered
  • 1300mAh 3s seems about right for total weight and correct CG
  • 9x6.5 prop seems to work well
  • Removing the canopy greatly improves flight characteristics, no more yaw trim issues, rudder provides ample effect

So, Dusty flies like this now:
IMG_5089.jpeg