FT Explorer to UAV Explorer Conversion

thomashyland

Let me start with this, I had a TON of fun building the FT Explorer. It is an amazing lazy-day flyer with the glider wing, and a super thrilling, stunt machine with the sport wing. I had a crash in some super heavy winds and broke the tail boom. I always loved the look of a SkyHunter, but did't have enough damage on the Explorer to warrant a new machine. Plus, Josh and Josh have inspired me to really want to design my own, so here I went.
Below is the maiden flight. It was over 20MPH gusts, and thing thing was rock solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GffQvclGvRI

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 5.12.34 PM.png

IMG_1329.JPG

Final FPV sweet-up. Maiden flight coming to you soon!

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 5.15.34 PM.png

Last edited:

AdamV

my tail boom broke as well, i think it's actually a structural weak point much like the simple soarer has. What a great idea for rebuilding it! I have some carbon fiber arrow shafts lying around that I might use to do the same thing.

thomashyland

my tail boom broke as well, i think it's actually a structural weak point much like the simple soarer has. What a great idea for rebuilding it! I have some carbon fiber arrow shafts lying around that I might use to do the same thing.

Let me know how it goes and if you need any ideas. I am going to be mounting a pan and tilt on it next, along with flaps. I will be using the two servos from my sport wing and cutting flaps into the glider wings, but am not 100% sure about that yet.