FT Mini Scout Power Pack from Lazertoyz

aftekkie

So I bought the mini scout; it is an awesome build. I used the link in the FT site and purchase the Flite Test Power pack from lazertoyz. In the package comes:

1) MT1804 2480KV motor

2) 6X3 props (drilled out for MT1804 motor)

1) AX10 10 amp ESC (includes connectors for motor /esc pre-soldered)

2) 8.5g servos

2) EZ-link (Linkage Stoppers)

1) 850 2S Lipo

I recieve the package and ops check the electronics. The motor sputters with the prop attached. I did calibrate the esc, so that was not an issue. After a further review of the technical specs of the motor, it is supposed to have a 3S battery and recommended prop size is a 5030 (smaller prop).

I am an amateur, but FT always boasts to "follow tech specs". So why do I have a power package that shipped with an undersized battery and an oversized prop?

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
6x4 prop on 2 cell should be fine with that motor. If you later switch to a 3 cell you will want the 5x3 props.

A 6" prop on a 2 cell battery will spin slower than the 5" prop on a 3 cell. It is based on the motors kV which is 2480 revolutions per volt on that motor. 2 cell= 7.4 x 2480 and 3 cell 11.1 x 2480.
Look up the spec chart on the motor and you should see what you get for thrust and amp draw for the different prop sizes and cell count.

There is some flexibility but there are some combinations that work better. In general if you incease cells(volts) you decrease prop diameter and vice versa.

Last edited:

PhenomPilot

That is close to the same setup that I am running and it flies great.
1806 motor
2s 850 battery
Either 5x4 or 6x3 props depending on what I have left from my 250 quad.
Been getting nearly 10min flight time on that battery.

aftekkie

Sputtering

Ok, I understand what you guys are telling me...what about the sputtering? The motor seems to spin fine without the prop, but sputters when the prop is attached. Is there something wrong with the motor?

PhenomPilot

Possibly a cold solder joint in one of the three wires between motor and esc or battery and esc. Check your connections. Also make sure to setup your throttle range on your esc.

tyoho

check your mounting screws

I would agree, re-solder your connections.
However, I had the same problem, and after re-soldering half a dozen times, trying every possible ESC setting and even switching ESCs, I remembered that when I was bolting the motor to the plywood mount, the first screw I tried was a little too long. I didn't think I forced it, but it did bottom out onto one of the windings it was enough to break one of the wires and keep the motor from running properly.

PhenomPilot

You do need to be careful of not scratching the enamel on the wires and shorting the motor. It is still salvageable if you can unwind and rewire or recoat the wire. At that point I would just save the motor for parts and order another.

earthsciteach

Agreed. Resolder the motor and esc connectors all around. If that doesn't work, order another motor. Contact CS in the meantime.