FT Simple Waco Glider

RandyL

I just finished my 55 inch FT Waco. It was my first FT build so I had my laptop out and watched the video of the build many times hoping not to make any large mistakes. It came out perfect ( for me ), straight, and the proper weight. I did not know what to do with the laser cut edges of the cardboard where the foam had pulled back slightly from the edge. I used a small dowel and carpenters glue to put a coat of glue in the slots. Once dry I pushed lightweight spackling into the recess of all the cut parts. Very minor sanding and I had nice finished edges. I have since read about ironing and will explore new methods on my scrap sheets. I should have help for a Sunday test flight. We are blessed with a nice steep hill to test from. Paint and decals add .6 oz, I am at 15.9 oz and still have not decided on exactly what battery. Should be under 20 oz ready to fly.
20210819_113616.jpg
Randy

CappyAmeric

Elite member
You can use an iron (preferably a hobby one) to reattach and seal the edges. Use a scrap piece of foam to test.

I think the best way is to angle the iron 45 degrees to push the top layer into the slightly melting foam. I do it to all exposed edges to make the model more durable. I am careful not to stop in one place, and not to push down too hard. It gives it a very finished look too.

RandyL

You can use an iron (preferably a hobby one) to reattach and seal the edges. Use a scrap piece of foam to test.

I think the best way is to angle the iron 45 degrees to push the top layer into the slightly melting foam. I do it to all exposed edges to make the model more durable. I am careful not to stop in one place, and not to push down too hard. It gives it a very finished look too.

Thanks for the ironing tip. Do you only iron down from the top, nothing on the bottom edge...just let the top meet it? I will be testing this for temp and speed of travel for the iron. Sounds good. I do have irons, so I'm good to go.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I do both sides if they are accessible. Search the forum, there are some videos that some members did to show the process.

RandyL

I do both sides if they are accessible. Search the forum, there are some videos that some members did to show the process.

I will do a search and try and learn some tricks. I did take the glider out Sunday morn for a test throw down the hill. Had to hold a lot of up elevator so will take some nose weight out before next toss. It did well otherwise. Only one toss, the grass was very wet in the early morn.