FT Tiny Trainer and wind

echophone

Been flying the tiny trainer for a week or so now. New to flying and teaching myself as I go. I'm using emax MT1806 2280KV, 6040 propeller, 2S 500Mha battery, and it's set up 3 channel. Full weight 260 grams. When I try to fly in wind above 5 mph (8-10mph) I'm finding it difficult. At time's my ground speed is zero when flying into the wind and the winds tosses the plane around. Would a flight stabilizer help in this condition or is the plane just too light?

Last edited:

Corsair714

I'm not sure a flight stablizer would help much. It would keep you from getting blown around a bit, but there is only so much it can do. It sounds like you have a very light setup. Someone else might have a different opinion though. I only have a few planes with stablization. You might be better off just building a heavier plane.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I'm not sure a flight stablizer would help much. It would keep you from getting blown around a bit, but there is only so much it can do. It sounds like you have a very light setup. Someone else might have a different opinion though. I only have a few planes with stablization. You might be better off just building a heavier plane.
I agree. Sometimes pilots add ballast to their sailplanes so that they can penetrate the wind better. Maybe ailerons could give you more control. Flying in wind definitely is not the easiest way to start out, but this could be a good learning experience.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This is my three channel FT Trainer in crazy gusty winds. It can be a handfull for sure. I have been very impressed with how easy it is to control with only three channels. It's a light model with large amounts of surface area. It will get blown around. FWIW, I am a very novice LOS pilot. I can fly FPV all day long with no issue. LOS is still my greatest weakness. You could bump up to a 3S battery. That is what I was flying in this video.

Cheers!
LitterBug

echophone

I agree. Sometimes pilots add ballast to their sailplanes so that they can penetrate the wind better. Maybe ailerons could give you more control. Flying in wind definitely is not the easiest way to start out, but this could be a good learning experience.

I built a second wing with ailerons but I've never tried it yet. Maybe I should give it a shot and see if I have better control. Maybe if I tried a 3s battery that might help cut through the wind. It's still a fun learning process. Thanks.

Corsair714

If you use the ailerons make sure you don't have the rates too high. Mine were way too high on my first tiny trainer and I very nearly drove it in to the ground.

mastermalpass

Elite member
A 260g plane with wide, straight wings will get carried around by the wind easily. My halfpipe designs use swept wings to help them 'cut' through the wind, but even then, they're only that stable when facing into the wind and then once it gets above 10-12mph it becomes one for the more experienced pilots.

How does it behave in the wind? My parkjets would wobble on the roll and yaw axis a lot in a cross-wind then would be generally stable on the pitch axis. My FT Mini Scout on the other hand, had a huge under-camber on its wings and this meant in gusty winds it would bob up and down in the varying airspeeds and turbulence. Coming into land (in winds much stronger than I would recommend - this is no fault of the Mini scout) I had to drop it from 6ft and the fuselage cracked.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Dont worry is quite normal to sruggle in wind with the 3ch verion and a 500mAh battery, but saying that I loved it and it helped improve my skills wrt flying. The 3ch version is better suited to warm summer evenings with a gentle breeze, its ideal for soaring.
It can be a bit of a jump sometimes from 3ch to 4 ch so dont be in a rush. I suggest moving the battery forward first on the 3ch version, this will give you more nose weight and improve penetration into wind, you will probably need a bit of up elevator to help it climb. Once you make enough progress into the wind, turn down wind the model will gain speed, dont let it travel to far then turn into the wind again the momentum will give you some more penetraion and hopefully you will gain a little height. Keep practicing this and soon you will get the hang of it, don't let it fly too far down wind or you will struggle to keep the plane in front of you. Once you master handling it, swap over to a 3s 700mAh and you will appreciate the difference both in power and speed.
The 4ch will definately fly better in windy conditions, but if your a novice it may be a bit tricky to master compared with a 3ch version at first, so keep those throws low to begin with. The 2s 500mAh wont be sufficient for a 4ch version either, with a lower profile on the wing and less dihedral you need more airspeed over your wings for lift.
I use a 3s 700mAh, or 800mAh right upto a 1000 mAh battery to get a decent flight times and maintain a decent flight speed. You may need to modify the battery position as the bigger batteries dont fit underneath in the pod.
I posted some pictures of my modifications with the battery on top with a canopy option on one of my posts.
I personally like flying both versions for different reasons great little planes, stick with the 3ch and get use to it. On a calm or light windy day you cant beat it.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
1607107508979.png

Both versions

echophone

Dont worry is quite normal to sruggle in wind with the 3ch verion and a 500mAh battery, but saying that I loved it and it helped improve my skills wrt flying. The 3ch version is better suited to warm summer evenings with a gentle breeze, its ideal for soaring.
It can be a bit of a jump sometimes from 3ch to 4 ch so dont be in a rush. I suggest moving the battery forward first on the 3ch version, this will give you more nose weight and improve penetration into wind, you will probably need a bit of up elevator to help it climb. Once you make enough progress into the wind, turn down wind the model will gain speed, dont let it travel to far then turn into the wind again the momentum will give you some more penetraion and hopefully you will gain a little height. Keep practicing this and soon you will get the hang of it, don't let it fly too far down wind or you will struggle to keep the plane in front of you. Once you master handling it, swap over to a 3s 700mAh and you will appreciate the difference both in power and speed.
The 4ch will definately fly better in windy conditions, but if your a novice it may be a bit tricky to master compared with a 3ch version at first, so keep those throws low to begin with. The 2s 500mAh wont be sufficient for a 4ch version either, with a lower profile on the wing and less dihedral you need more airspeed over your wings for lift.
I use a 3s 700mAh, or 800mAh right upto a 1000 mAh battery to get a decent flight times and maintain a decent flight speed. You may need to modify the battery position as the bigger batteries dont fit underneath in the pod.
I posted some pictures of my modifications with the battery on top with a canopy option on one of my posts.
I personally like flying both versions for different reasons great little planes, stick with the 3ch and get use to it. On a calm or light windy day you cant beat it.

Sounds like good advice. I think it would be better for me to keep flying 3 ch. with the 500ma 2s for now. I did let the plane get too far away when it was flying with the wind and was unable to get it turned around, I cut power, set it down and walked what seemed a mile to get it. I have open wheat fields north of my house I've been flying in. I do have the FT Explorer about ready to fly. Maybe it would do better in the wind. I will start with 3 channel with this plane too.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Would a flight stabilizer help in this condition or is the plane just too light?
Yes a stabilizer will help but will not solve the problem. Adding weight will also help. A better solution, build a smaller (shorter) wing. Try removing 10 inches, 5 from each side.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
If you make the wings smaller, it gives better penetration in wind. But you lose out on gliding and soaring ability, which in nice weather its one of the best characteristics of this little plane. I still think a bigger battery (say 700mAh 3s) providing added nose weights the solution, you can always slide the battery back on less windy days to a more balanced CG and throttle back too if its a calm day (longer flights from a 3s).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I like the idea of mounting the battery on top. Your planes look so much better than mine. I do have different color packing tape on the way that I'll use in future builds.
I started with coloured packing tape on my early versions, now I hand paint with acrylic paint and varnish to protect.

Corsair714

If you make the wings smaller, it gives better penetration in wind. But you lose out on gliding and soaring ability, which in nice weather its one of the best characteristics of this little plane. I still think a bigger battery (say 700mAh 3s) providing added nose weights the solution, you can always slide the battery back on less windy days to a more balanced CG and throttle back too if its a calm day (longer flights from a 3s).
I have had three ft trainers and I used an 850mah 3 cell, but with a slightly bigger motor. They did alright in the wind.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The MT1806 2280KV will easily cope with a 3s 1000 mAh, but Ive upgraded my last build with the mt2204 2300KV motor its much better for the 4ch version and cheaper too.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have 4 at the moment one is my sons to be honest and another is a dedicated 3ch version. The first version l built got damaged by a land slide of junk in my attic, so scrapped it. My second version died on the Normany beaches in France earier this year, after landing in sea water (wind was a bit extreme for flying that day to be honest, but couldn't resist). I paid the ultimate price, so did my Tiny trainer.
So I came home with just the lipo's, the motor, receiver and sevos the foamboard was left in France. So the versions I have now are the Mk3, Mk4 and Mk5, plus my sons build which has the an arctic camo colour scheme.

Last edited: