FT-Viggen Build

ttprigg

I noticed that you used a EDF support to maintain the form of the airframe. I was thinking the same thing when I was watching David assemble in in the video. I was wondering if there would be any significant impacts to the amount of or the "turbulence" of the air reaching the propeller. Thoughts?

Last edited:

frogs84ss

I noticed that you used a EDF support to maintain the form of the airframe. I was thinking the same thing when I was watching David assemble in in the video. I was wondering if there would be any significant impacts to the amount of or the "turbulence" of the air reaching the propeller. Thoughts?

I took it and squared it off making the edges pretty thin to minimize the disturbance. I doubt it will affect anything. I also added a bbg skewer to the bottom because it was so thin. seems to work out ok.

Edwinkania

I have the major construction all complete I am just waiting for my order from Grayson to get to PA. They had snow like we are having so it will probably be here Monday. Then I will complete the build, waterproof, and paint. Fly, crash and build again!

frogs84ss

Assembly complete. Still need to finish control rods and do radio set up. Looks good, easier then I thought to build, and I got it done with only 3 sheets of dtf. can not wait to fly this and build another for edf. this will get sealed and painted.

Attachments

• 20140214_101100.jpg
    20140214_101100.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 20140214_101118.jpg
    20140214_101118.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
easier then I thought to build,

After "building" all of the FT planes in Sketchup, none of them seem hard. Just time consuming. The hardest part is cutting out all of the pieces, but if you take your time with that, then it isn't hard to do.

Flite Test has done a really good job at designing great planes that are easy to build. I've noticed that all the planes snap right together with the use of slots and tabs. And that forces the plane to be nearly perfect when put together.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
its an easy design concept guys.. its called magic :p
does anybody know the weight of JUST the airframe?

Last edited:

Bolvon72

Mentor
Assembly complete. Still need to finish control rods and do radio set up. Looks good, easier then I thought to build, and I got it done with only 3 sheets of dtf. can not wait to fly this and build another for edf. this will get sealed and painted.

Beautiful build Frog, clean as can be.

Bolvon72

Mentor
Well, went out in the wind (not much choice lately) for a maiden, I started by forgetting that I had my radio programmed very high from another plane but managed to land it, then I flew it right into the sun. The break apart nose did it's job perfectly. I still flew it with a bit of tape holding it all together and had a fine time, wind or no wind. I have the trusty Suppo 2208/14 swinging an 8x4 prop with an 1800 MaH 3s mounted very far up in the nose. BTW I walk around while I fly, sorry for all the bouncing.

Last edited:

F1wanabe

Well, went out in the wind (not much choice lately) for a maiden, I started by forgetting that I had my radio programmed very high from another plane but managed to land it, then I flew it right into the sun. The break apart nose did it's job perfectly. I still flew it with a bit of tape holding it all together and had a fine time, wind or no wind. I have the trusty Suppo 2208/14 swinging an 8x4 prop with an 1800 MaH 3s mounted very far up in the nose. BTW I walk around while I fly, sorry for all the bouncing.

Sounded very windy, but you saved it pretty well with those high rates! I was wondering how the cg would be attained with a prop on back. The EDF is much furthur forward and the 4s battery counters it fine. But with a 3s set up and the motor hanging off the back I would think you would need minimum 2200 3s pretty far forward to get the right cg based on all the other delta canard planes I've built. Especially with the canards canted up by 10 degrees. As David mentioned in the light set up video, it will be imperative to push all your components like servos and esc forward as far as possible. He mentions the extra slots on the plan further forward where you will need to put the servos to achieve proper cg on prop versions.

Last edited:

F1wanabe

Frogs84ss, That is a very clean build- good work! FYI, you may have seen this in David's light set up video, but for the rear mount motor, its imperative to put as much weight as forward as possible (servos, esc, etc) so that you can obtain proper cg with a decent size battery. Especially if you plan on using the prop drive power system which weighs much more than this one. With this set up, I'm sure you would need a 2200 3s way up front to get balance. As Bolvon72 mentions, with his Suppo, he needs to have his 1800 way up in the nose which means you have no room to move battery for experimentation. If you move servos and esc forward close to the cg area, you'll be able to use an 1800 a little further back and have some flexibility for experimentation. Of course, this would require esc extension wires. The other option is to use a 2200 3s or better up front, but the your build weight skyrockets! :eek:
As an outside experiment, you could also add a KF2 airfoil which would creat extra lift at the rear to help shift CG in flight. I'll be experimenting with the proper KF configuration once I see how it flies with no KF.

Last edited:

hotwax

Hi old Swedes,

I'm still struggeling finding the right technique getting laser printetd paper on, but I can say it will be flyable.

105_0503.JPG

Some parts still to be be matched. I use black paper for the duct.

105_0506.JPG

First dryfit looks promising.

105_0507.JPG

This side too.

105_0508.JPG

Minor optical deficiancies included.

Bolvon72

Mentor
I upped the battery to a 2200 3S which balances it with the battery half in and half out of the nose piece. Less wind today and the little 2208 Suppo pushes it very decently. It feels good heading into the wind air but feels a little wobbly cutting across. Might be that big vertical stab.

I have the EDF on the way and will build another but for the moment I'm still liking the flight characteristics of the FT22 over the Viggen right now, though I like the look of the Viggen more in the air. I look forward to seeing how it does with the EDF and all of the weight more centralized.

F1wanabe

I upped the battery to a 2200 3S which balances it with the battery half in and half out of the nose piece. Less wind today and the little 2208 Suppo pushes it very decently. It feels good heading into the wind air but feels a little wobbly cutting across. Might be that big vertical stab.

I have the EDF on the way and will build another but for the moment I'm still liking the flight characteristics of the FT22 over the Viggen right now, though I like the look of the Viggen more in the air. I look forward to seeing how it does with the EDF and all of the weight more centralized.
That 2200 3s sounds more like it,Bolvon72! Acheiving CG is important, but getting the main mass of the plane {battery and motor} as close to the cg mark as possible creates a more responsive and aerobatic plane. With non TV planes,control response is greatly effected by the wind. Flying into the wind is OK, flying in a cross wind or the wind from behind can be interesting! I think you will find a breath of fresh air with the edf as you put more of the plane's mass closer to cg. Should be much more aerobatic!

Took me 6 hrs to trace and cut out the sections, but it was a lot of fun.
I used a push pin to punch holes on the black foam board instead of tracing the lines. Maybe next time, I will cut the outlines and use the push pin for the inside lines to save time.

GOPR0007.jpg

Last edited:

Timgfoley

Finished mine tonight as well, just need the edf to arrive.

How are you guys mounting batteries? Velcro straps through the bottom or simply just Velcro?

Also what is that extra template for in the plans? Looks like some sort of tray.

Cheers
Tim

Bolvon72

Mentor
Finished mine tonight as well, just need the edf to arrive.

How are you guys mounting batteries? Velcro straps through the bottom or simply just Velcro?

Also what is that extra template for in the plans? Looks like some sort of tray.

Cheers
Tim

The extra piece is for the swappable pod if you go that route or to add a double layer for a stable pusher mount.

Timgfoley

Ah cool thanks.

Now I seem to have hit another stumbling block, I ordered my EDF from Grayson back on the 10th, it shows it was "sent to warehouse" on the 11th and no update since then. Hopefully their website inventory system just stinks and the EDF is long since shipped but I'm skeptical.

Time to build a Spitfire while I wait then lol.

ReDeYe

Ah cool thanks.

Now I seem to have hit another stumbling block, I ordered my EDF from Grayson back on the 10th, it shows it was "sent to warehouse" on the 11th and no update since then. Hopefully their website inventory system just stinks and the EDF is long since shipped but I'm skeptical.

Time to build a Spitfire while I wait then lol.

You might want to call them. They had a flood a while back it may have interrupted that order.