FT-Viggen Review

RCExplorer

Mentor
Another great video guys!! Can't wait to get this one in the air!

View attachment 18232

6461.png

Last edited:

ofiesens2

Professional noob
I'm surprised that David didn't repeat the quote," I landed it," from the scratch build glider challenge last fall after he crashed the burning Viggen at the end:D

skindoc

Great episode and what an awesome plane, David. Take my $39 plus shipping, please. You guys are exceptionally talented. Keep it rocking.

catapultcat

The FT Viggen is an outstanding design in its beautiful execution of design and simplicity. This is my first post so I am not sure how to ask questions of the designer, David. But David if you are able to get this message I would be most interested in finding where you had the decal set camo pattern reproduced and if you could share what that cost was. Even though Flite test will not be offering it for purchase it would be helpful for this and future projects I would like to pursue. Thanks much!

12many

Hi Guys, Looks like you got me too! I Have ordered the Baby Blender along with the FT Crusier speed build kits, than after working on them watched the Speedster video, looked like a fun plane, So, scratchbuilt the Speedster. Just tried to fly and tore the wing off, and now this? Blender and Crusier are not finished yet, but guess I have a few more days with the 12 inches of snow coming in, to try to make room for the" Viggen" ! Waiting to see it arrive on my workbench! Great Job! Thank you All!

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
catapultcat,

if I am not mistaken ( I shore hope not ;-) the episode this Wednesday will be the Viggen build and the file for the decals should be in that article.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Please upload the sticker template as a blank template? That way modelers can download and paint/fill the templates to their preferences and then have the stickers printed. I assume the stickers add to durability for the plane even as they add weight.

You could probably use the plans as the blank template. The vinyl decals just lay flat on top of every piece of foam board. At least that's what it looks like.

I'll probably do the opposite and end up using the decals as plans when I make the Viggen for RC Desk Pilot. (It would make it easier for me to line up the decals onto the 3D model.)

Bolvon72

Mentor
When I started scratchbuilding, the Baby Blender was the new plane and, comparing it to the first few I thought it was phenomenal what they were doing with simple cheap foam board. Every plane after that has been such an great leap in accomplishment I can't even imagine where this is leading. Such an amazing design David.

Starssadar

Great episode!
David I really am a fan of your work, maybe it's the swedish attention for detail, we're also a bit like that in Switzerland. :D

Very nice plane too, I think I'll build one, and then maybe I'll try the widkin Gripen
http://www.flitetest.com/articles/foamboard-jas-39-gripen-edf-part-1-model-plans

It's a shame you burnt the heavy one though, the afterburner looked beautiful.

Maybe you could do an afterburner out of a rocket engine and do some high speed FPV? That would be a challenge! :p

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Great episode guys, I left a comment on the youtube video, but yeah, probably my favourite episode yet haha! As someone else said, review - bit of building - flying - and then crashing in a ball of flames. What more could you ask for? :) Thanks.

ReDeYe

That is one of my favorite episodes. You guys should definetly have a spot on tv (discovery channel G4 network etc etc.) Cant wait to get one of these planes in the air. David it will be sad to see you go back to sweden. Hopefully you will be doing some episodes from home. You are a very smart human being and a great addition to the flite test team.

LordVader

I too, would like to see those plans. I also have ways of making you talk, David! I could send some of my storm troopers to see you.lol...............

Edwinkania

I liked the video and am looking forward to the build video and plans. Just went to Dollar Tree after work and before the storm, this way I have something to do while it is snowing. EDF's are becoming my favorite, I did a EDF Versa Wing called the VERSA Jet. Still flies. I have over 4 hours of flight time with a GoPro strapped to it. I converted it to FPV for the spring, cant wait till the snow melts and I can fly all my planes again.

Last edited:

ReDeYe

I have some black dollar tree foam board I am going to use for this build. Kind of a stealth viggen.

F1wanabe

Hmmm. It's Wednesday February 12, 2014, tomorrow and Friday we are getting 2 feet of snow, perfect time to build something, but, I don't see the ft viggen plan download! I guess I better print out another frcfoamies alpha jet mk2 plan!;)

Last edited: