FTFC23: Build-ruary by luvmy40 (Build Skill: 3 Kind'a Skilled, Pilot SKill: 2 Beginner+)

luvmy40

Elite member
This is my official Buildruray Build Off Build Thread

1. Half Pipe Delta
2. FT Spitfire
3. Simple Stagger Wing
4. Shrub Smacker

Not necessarily in that order.

Decided the 3D XL was a bit more than I want to try to squeeze into 3 weeks build time. I save that for a later, more relaxed build. I'll substitute the Half Pipe Delta in it's place.

Last edited:

luvmy40

Elite member
I got home a few days earlier than expected, so I got started on the Half Pipe Delta. Just got the parts cut, not much more gonna happen tonight.

Half Pipe Delta Cut.jpg

luvmy40

Elite member
The Half Pipe Delta is done, save for Minwax and paint. It went pretty quick and easy. Just a bit of on the fly adjusting due to the original plans being for 6mm Depron.

I mounted an F Pack equivalent motor with a 30A ESC and 5x4.5x3 prop.

HPD Sheet Cut.jpg

HPD Coming along.jpg

HPD Electronics.jpg

HPD Build Complete 2.jpg

HPD Build Complet 1.jpg

luvmy40

Elite member
Maiden Flight of the Half Pipe Delta. It did not go well at all.

I double checked my CG, trimmed the elevator a bit and tried again. Not much better, with a worse ending.

I straightened things out, added some tape. Rechecked CG and made the third and final attempt. It did not survive the "landing".

I'll cut another one after I finish(hah!:p) the Buildruray Challenge.

luvmy40

Elite member
I forgot I am supposed to log my build until I had the wings done on the FT Spitfire.

FT Spitfire parts cut.jpg

FT Spitfire partial.jpg

FT Spitfire sans electronics.jpg

No surprises so far. It's ready for electronics. I went with the removeable wing option for ease of transport and set up. I have to look to see what the recommended power pack is for this guy. I should have something that will work.

Foamforce

I double checked my CG, trimmed the elevator a bit and tried again. Not much better, with a worse ending.

I straightened things out, added some tape. Rechecked CG and made the third and final attempt. It did not survive the "landing".

Hey, another thought I had. Check that the motor is perfectly centered top to bottom in the slot. It might be that yours is low, which I think would push the nose up.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Maiden Flight of the Half Pipe Delta. It did not go well... I'll cut another one after I finish(hah!:p) the Buildruray Challenge.

I am really grateful you're willing to give it another shot after it's let you down three times already. Keep your build pics up on this one and I'll keep an eye out for any red flags. Also, move the CG Notch holes forward one length of themselves - I'm gonna alter the design to have that at some point.

If you have a lighter battery, that'll be good. The Firewall vertical top needn't be flush with the top. You really just wanna make sure it's glued to the wing plate properly. The underside fuselage can help, but really, it's the trailing edge of the top that is supposed to provide more surface for the firewall plate to glue to.

luvmy40

Elite member
OK,
I've kind'a given up on actually completing the challenge. I'll probably get 4 planes built, but there little chance of having a chance to fly them.

I di build an Old Fogey today, and cut the parts for the Shrub Smacker. The Fogey wasn't on my original list, but It's a build. I also forgot, again to document the build. Here's the almost finished plane:

Old Fogey 1.jpg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

De definite flight by the 3rd attempt. Good work. Very tail heavy.

FoamyDM

OK,
I've kind'a given up on actually completing the challenge. I'll probably get 4 planes built, but there little chance of having a chance to fly them.

I di build an Old Fogey today, and cut the parts for the Shrub Smacker. The Fogey wasn't on my original list, but It's a build. I also forgot, again to document the build. Here's the almost finished plane:

View attachment 235233
If you didn't do anything unique. That's all we need picture wise. Looks great!

FoamyDM

I forgot I am supposed to log my build until I had the wings done on the FT Spitfire.

View attachment 234877
View attachment 234876
View attachment 234878

No surprises so far. It's ready for electronics. I went with the removeable wing option for ease of transport and set up. I have to look to see what the recommended power pack is for this guy. I should have something that will work.
Again, looks standard. You documentation is fine. It just the little things different that help to have a picture of. She looks ready for the air. One of my favorite ft builds.

luvmy40

Elite member
OK, I cut parts for the AP Easy Trainer and the Mini Old Fogey last night. I am going to start with the Mini today, move on to the Shrub Smacker and finish with the AP Trainer, if I get that far. I also have to finish the set up on the Spit and scavenge RXs from older builds for today's work as my parts orders have not arrived as of this minute.

Fingers Crossed.

BTW, there will be little if any paint involved, as per my usual MO.

luvmy40

Elite member
Alright. This was not meant to be! I have decided I was just not supposed to build today. Nothing went right. I was making stupid, rookie mistakes and it felt like I had never built a plane before.

If the wind dies down a bit, I may try to go fly what I have finished, but nothing more is getting built today.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Alright. This was not meant to be! I have decided I was just not supposed to build today. Nothing went right. I was making stupid, rookie mistakes and it felt like I had never built a plane before.

If the wind dies down a bit, I may try to go fly what I have finished, but nothing more is getting built today.
Don't ya just hate days like that?!? It seems like everything you know has left your brain and your muscle memory is gone.

mastermalpass

Elite member

Oohft. I thought I had it bad wasting 40 mins today having to undo a dumb mistake. I hate it when the world is set against me like that.

On the other hand, I've noticed I no longer care when I slip with a tool and end up stabbing my plane. Think I've done that four times today! 😂

luvmy40

Elite member
No joy in flying today. The wind never let up. I tried anyway but it was just to windy for the minis(DR1 and Mini Scout) and I didn't have anything larger flight worthy.

There's always next year!

Yankee2003

OK,

View attachment 235233

Feb 19…..”I’ve kind’a given up on actually completing the challenge..”. ….ha ha….nearly three weeks in before coming to the same realization I had by the 14th. I would say that was a pretty good stretch.