Great Planes J3 Cub

speedbirdted

Legendary member
So, this is a bit unusual as I'm posting about this airplane after it's not only been built but had a successful few flights. A bit of background though for the uninitiated: I built this plane from a long-discontinued Great Planes kit I got for cheap, from October 2019 to about January of this year. Slow progress I know but I had personal issues to tend to at the time. I decided it was best to wait for good weather until I maidened it, which I finally got around to doing on June 28.

P_20200628_114323 (2).jpg

After that I had to do some changes because there were... issues. Most severely, the ailerons. This has on the plans the old style of driving both ailerons from one centrally mounted servo using bellcranks; nowadays there's no real need to do this as servos come pretty cheap. The wing struts also fluttered severely and one of them actually failed in flight, but luckily it just fell away harmlessly and they serve no structural purpose so it's not like there was any problem with it not being there. I found it later in the bean field and some damage to the nylon strap that holds it on was the only harm. This is entirely caused by there not being any jury struts, which is stupid from both a structural and a visual standpoint. A cub just looks wrong without them honestly. Other less severe problems included a crappy CG requiring a bit more than the 1 ounce of nose weight I'd already stuck on and the sad excuse for tail rigging I set up fluttering horribly. Use cables, not music wire kids! The landing gear suspension also popped out of place. I'll bind and solder that, since zip ties clearly don't work...

So the day after I tore the wing apart to replace the cruddy servo system. Here's a picture of when I had prepped the wing for installation of the servo door mounting blocks. The way I did the servo mounting is they actually get mounted to the doors, that way they can be easily removed for repair or replacement.

P_20200629_155245 (1).jpg

Next came the jury struts. These are made from 1/8 inch thick basswood cut down to size, and they are secured with handmade brass L-clamps to the wing, and a cut-down Dubro pinned hinge on each side to the struts. This way the jury struts, and the strut assembly as a whole, can be folded flat against the wing and it will fit in a wing bag. I had to cut up the wing covering more to add the plywood mountings for the jury struts and add another patch over it. Here is a completed strut, next to the parts used to build one.

P_20200630_231751 (1).jpg

Now, for the component of the strut that runs across between the two struts, I did something a bit different. I considered just making another basswood cross member but instead I decided that it would look more realistic to use a brass tube. The problem with that is how to mount it. I considered at first flattening the tube on one side and then drilling through it into the strut, effectively using the plastic hinge material to make a locknut, but that would have been too weak. The problem was solved instead by again flattening the tube, but then wrapping the flattened section tightly around the tube and filling the hole with solder. I then drilled a hole slightly smaller in diameter than the screw through the solder. Solder is soft enough for the screw itself to act as its own tap, and the result is the mount is very resistant to coming off and is also very stiff. This was the result (yeah, this picture kind of sucks, but I spend too much money on planes to afford a good camera)

P_20200630_235908 (1).jpg

After I did all these modifications the plane was ready to fly again. I took it out earlier today. And it flew much, much better! Sadly though my dad's abilities with a camera are... questionable, and this was pretty much the best picture we got of it flying :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IMG_20200705_123011802.jpg

After this flight though I still had a couple of things to fix, though they were pretty minor still. I went and loctite'd some screws that got unhappy from the engine vibration, and that was pretty much it. So, if the plane flies successfully as it is, and the build is complete, why make a thread?

Well, the build is not complete. A flyable plane doesn't mean I'm done with it, it just proves the concept. Now I wanna make it cooler :p

I've got some things I want to do, and some things I know I'll need to do in the near future, and I'll log them here. So here's a list for now.

We start at the front.

P_20200703_010244 (2).jpg

Oh boy, ain't that a circus and a half! So first and foremost, the cowling. It's the standard ABS cowling that came in the kit. I did not have much in the way of high hopes for it initially, and my sentiment remains unchanged now that it has some use on it (and by that I mean barely four flights...) I don't like it for a multitude of reasons. First and foremost, ABS is pathetically weak. When I removed the cowling yesterday to add extra ballast, I noticed the cowling had some visible fatigue around the bottom edges where it meets the fuselage underside and around literally every single screw hole (even though I was careful to avoid overtightening it!) Well, after today's flights, there appeared cracks a solid 1" long in the bottom corners of the cowling, and cracks extending to the edges from the screw holes. Dammit. This is why we don't make things out of ABS!!

So, needless to say, a new cowling is in order. Problem is - this kit was probably discontinued before I was even born. Spare parts are not an option here. Not like I would want the stock cowling anyway, as much of a chunk of garbage as it is. So, it's time for fiberglass. I have two ideas here - either, somehow, directly use the old cowling as a plug to form a new one, or make a plug out of foam using the cowling and firewall dimentions and coat it with release wax, and use that instead. Option two is better I think, because I want this cowl to have some extra features over the stock one, as well as being a slightly different shape - the (I think) pre-1940 Cub cowling has a more rounded underside and honestly I like it more. It'd also have the ability to separate into two pieces like fullscale Cubs do. This would be advantageous as it would prevent having to cut unnecessary holes in the cowling to get to things like the low speed adjustment.

Speaking of the engine, I have some plans for it too. The engine I selected, an ASP FS52AR, which is a clone of the relatively well-known OS 52 Surpass (and by clone, I mean clone. They have 100% parts cross-compatibity. Mine actually has a genuine OS piston and conrod installed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) actually has a perfectly adequate amount of juice for this plane, despite my worries. As much as I wanted to stick it on, I guess my Saito 56 will stay benched for now. However what I will be changing is the orientation of the engine. Initially, I thought the cylinder head poking out of the cowling side was pretty cool - overheating is certainly never a problem - but, now every time I have to fly the opposite leg of the pattern... I have to look at the stupid dummy engine on the other side. And boy is it disgusting. I tried to do as good a job making it sexy as possible but it's literally just two pieces of plastic CA'd together so there's not really a lot you can do with it. So, I think my only course of action here is to invert the engine. It should fit into the cowling fine, with the valve cover the only part protruding, and that's fine by me. Cooling I think will also be fine, given I open up the oil cooler hole at the bottom of the cowl to get some extra air in, and cut some extra holes in the bottom rear edge of the cowling to let cooling air escape. Remember, cooling air is useless if it has nowhere to go, and that's why you should cut your exit holes larger than your entrance ones. I might also make a custom exhaust system with either a smaller muffler or no muffler at all, so it can exit at a more scale location. In the case of no muffler, I'll have to put a pressure nipple onto the exhaust header.

Now with the engine out of the way this gives me both sides of the cowling to play with. I want to construct a much more scale, detailed dummy engine, identical on both sides. I remember seeing an engine kit for 1/4 scale cubs constructed out of stacked sheets of thin, laser cut balsa, and it honestly looked damned amazing. Problem is I was never able to find a 1/5 scale equivalent and the 1/4 kit would be much too large. So, I guess I'll have to design it myself. I have my own laser anyway and a decent amount of CAD knowledge, and cutting stuff with a laser is usually a strictly 2D activity so bumbleheads like me can do it just fine ;) That or I can flash a few bucks at someone with a 3D printer and have them make me something instead, though I'm not sure how 3D printed parts would tolerate an engine spitting hot oil everywhere.

A more minor bit is the windshield. It actually looks okay in the above picture, but I assure you, it is far from that. Unfortunately when I got the kit, it had been sitting in a strange position in the box for so many years that it was severely warped and folded out of shape. Some careful heating and forceful bending got it to where it is in the picture, which is semi-presentable but still pretty crappy looking. Surprisingly - a Cub windshield actually contains no compound curves, and so making one from a sheet of thin plastic will not be terribly hard. I'm then going to hold it in place using screws, as that would look much nicer. This would also involve making some balsa blocks to secure against the interior edges of what was previously the outer edge of the windshield - see the places where there is covering film on the windshield? None of that will be plastic.

Now we get to the more drastic stuff...

P_20200706_024702.jpg

And, here's a feature I don't think enough cubs have. Functional door! And now please excuse me as I use this outstandingly poor MSPaint drawing to explain what I'm about to do. This is a pretty standard door setup for a Cub, but it will be complicated by goings on inside the fuselage which I'll explain in a bit. The red outline is the window, and the green is the door. The white lines are the intended hinge placement, which allows the window to hinge upwards against the wing and the door to hinge downwards against the fuselage. You may notice that the door outline is not aligned with the door decal currently there and this is completely intentional - it has to do with the location of the servo tray, and I'll elaborate on that in a bit. I think I'll use line hinges angled at 90 degrees, 45 in each surface, so that the hinge line is outside the fuselage and allows the door to fully open and rest against the fuselage flatly when opened. I'm not sure how I'll keep the windows and doors open in flight (because it's illegal to fly a Cub with the doors closed :p) maybe I'll use some neodymium magnets hidden in the fuselage and wing.

Here's how I intend to do the door latching when closed. The bottom of the door will be notched in such a way that it holds the window closed as well. I honestly don't remember who's airplane this was on - but if you happen to know the guy that owns it, don't tell him I'm stealing it :p As you can see the latch running through the brass tube on the left is actuated by the handle, which is held closed by the spring. Pretty easy to make...

P_20191219_162520 (1).jpg

And now here is where things get ugly. Yeah, the inside of this airplane was clearly not designed with the intent of adding a door. All the parts outlined in red with slashes through them will be removed entirely. The green is about where I think the door outline will go - yeah, it looks kind of weird because of perspective. Notice the depth of the door is limited by the servo tray - I could make something lower profile, but that's tons of work, and that servo tray is incredibly hard to get to. Having a big gaping hole in the side of the plane will also let me finish off the interior paint job some more.

The removal of those side pieces will cause some things. Namely, I have to move the throttle servo. No biggie, I think what I'm gonna do is replace the standard size one with a 9 gram and move it forward, next to the fuel tank. Speaking of the fuel tank - the only reason it sits as far back as it does here is because the hoses didn't line up with the holes in the firewall perfectly, so this is the farthest forward it can go without causing kinking. Previously I couldn't solve this problem by drilling correctly placed holes because the engine was in the way, but I'm going to yank it off. I think I'm gonna just drill a big hole in the firewall the diameter of the bung, structure allowing, which will allow the tank to move forward nearly 2 inches, pretty much getting it out of the way of the door entirely.

My current concern with this is cutting out that much material might sacrifice a bit of strength. But, this plane will never do precision aerobatics so I don't think it'll ever see enough G-load for that to really be an issue...

P_20200706_024723.jpg

I already know that all this will take forever to do. Be patient! :p I think I'll start with the cowling...

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Ok, so holes have been cut in things and dust has been created. My fiberglass parts got held up in shipping and nowhere local to me sells glass cloth light enough to build a cowling out of. So, I guess I might as well build the door.

Here's the rough shape of the door drawn on the fuselage. The main limiting factor for the door depth is the servo tray; it's a little short compared to the scale shape but it's convincing enough. That and the side tube specified on the plans has a totally incorrect shape. The joiner between the two pieces is supposed to be about where the bottom left corner of the door is... I could fix it but that'd be a crapload of work as I'd have to take the covering off the whole fuselage and then buy more. I think I'll just leave it.

The window will be made out of 3/16 basswood sticks, for extra strength. It's also drawn there. I'm going to use the Robart hinges you see there to hinge the door and window - I think if I cut down the hinges they'll work perfectly.

P_20200709_221556.jpg

Then the fun part! Surprisingly the wing peg mounting block feels quite sturdy even with all this material removed. This is just the very, very rough outline of the door opening, but I figured taking off less and then sanding it gradually would be a better option than trying to get it in one go. Eventually I want to extend the door depth down to the servo tray - there's about 1/8 in of clearance now. I'm only going to build the door when I get the final shape of the door opening determined.

I've also removed the covering from the forward turtle deck. This area will get sanded down much smoother than it already was, because in all honesty the first time around I did kind of a crappy job.

P_20200709_230201.jpg

Here's my idea of an inverted engine mounting. Thankfully the mount holes on this mount are exactly square so rotating it 90 degrees was easy. Some quick measurements determined the only thing sticking out of the bottom of the cowling will be the rocker cover. The exhaust system is gonna be more of an issue though; I kind of want to make a custom muffler that fits behind the engine and exhausts in a scale location.

P_20200709_232245.jpg

Last edited:

Chuppster

I have one of these on floats, someone else built it. I'm not a big fan of the bellcrank ailerons either but they are working on mine. Mine came with a Magnum 91 four stroke, tons of power!

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I have one of these on floats, someone else built it. I'm not a big fan of the bellcrank ailerons either but they are working on mine. Mine came with a Magnum 91 four stroke, tons of power!

That's not how a cub is supposed to fly :p Mine puts around at 1/3 throttle all day with no problem. I can get 45 minutes off the 10 ounce tank I have in it with no problem though I don't do that because deadsticking is no fun.

More progress on the door. I finished sanding the door to shape today as well as cleaned up some of the cuts I had to make on the interior. I added some 3/16 sticks to the edge of the door, to make the door flush with the covering that goes over the side longeron.

P_20200710_213245.jpg

And here, with all of them installed and sanded to shape, with filler added. Notice how they thin out towards the edge of the door - to make the covering more flush.

P_20200710_231306.jpg

So, let's build the door. Here it is all framed up and ready for glue. It's 1/16 inch thick, with 1/8 hard balsa sticks for reinforcement. Technically cub doors are sheeted on both sides, but I like the view of the exposed "skeleton" when the door is open. Plus, I need to add the latching mechanism on the inside...

P_20200710_234159.jpg

And here she is finished. Gussets are added for the handle mount on one side, and for the tube that the door deadbolt slides through on the other. I will add the tube that the handle goes through probably tomorrow, after I paint the inside of the door.

P_20200711_001436.jpg

Fit is quite good! A bit of a gap, but it won't look too bad. As you can see it's just held in with some tape for now so that probably caused some of it.

P_20200711_001349.jpg

I was going to measure out everything for the window, but I decided to try just sticking everything in there in situ and save some work. Surprisingly it worked! The window is not glued here. I was really careful and also temporarily glued it together with a little CA while it was still in place, then added some more glue after taking it out.

P_20200711_004905.jpg

Here's the window taken out of the frame. I added some little tabs to keep the door from hinging too far inside the fuselage and also to provide pressure against the door, to hold it against the latches and stop it from rattling around when closed.

P_20200711_010309.jpg

At this point I was going to paint the window and door insides, however, my cub yellow paint which I haven't touched since I built the airplane last year has coagulated to the consistency of peanut butter and now I can't use it :mad: I guess now I get to go buy some more tomorrow. Yay...

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Paint time. Unfortunately there was no cub yellow at the store, and I remembered that even the paint that is marketed as being cub yellow, is not the same color as the monokote on the plane. You can see the paint on the interior is a little darker than the covering. So, I decided to buy a few different other colors of yellow and mix them together to see if I could get a paint color closer to the covering.

P_20200711_214002.jpg

From right to left is "chrome yellow", "insignia yellow" and "turn signal amber" Unfortunately the camera does an exceedingly poor job at distinguishing just how different the colors are. The chrome yellow is much less orange and lighter than the covering film, while the insignia yellow is much darker. What I ended up doing to paint the rest of the interior was mix the chrome yellow and insignia yellow at an 80/20 ratio which makes the resulting color much lighter than insignia yellow while more orange than chrome yellow. It matches the covering pretty much exactly. I used quite a bit of it to finish painting the interior now that I've chopped a big hole in the side of the fuselage.

P_20200712_002511.jpg

The fuel tank area has also had some work done on it. I figured out where to place the tank - I moved it to the side slightly to accommodate the throttle servo, which is now smaller and moved next to the fuel tank.

Here's the mostly completed door. All I need to do is install the latch, and that's easy. Before I painted the door, I epoxied the spring hook, deadbolt tube and hinge tube in place. I might use a rubber band instead of a spring. You can see the window frame behind it, it's also painted. I might have to shave it down slightly since the fit is a bit tight with paint added.

P_20200711_225255.jpg

Another thing I forgot to mention originally. I need to make new wing reg numbers. The original decals that came with the kit were far too large for my liking, plus the adhesive on them didn't really work after 20 or so years sitting. I started by adhering some black monokote at low temperature onto a piece of foamboard and a piece of paper. Unfortunately the potentiometer on my iron appears to be dying so I had to go really fast to be sure not to stick the covering on too good, resulting in some minor wrinkles. The monokote adhered to the paper is so I can cut two sets of letters at once, for the top and bottom of the wings.

P_20200711_182652.jpg

Then I cut out the letters and numbers with some templates I traced off a computer screen.

P_20200711_202049.jpg

Made sure they had the correct spacing with masking tape. This is something I got extremely wrong the first time I did the decals, and I don't want to do it again...

P_20200711_203609.jpg

And now. Making these... things... ? I don't know what they're actually called. It's just a part of the wing that I guess blends into the windshield? On the windshield originally supplied they were molded in the plastic (looked terrible...) and I'm adding these so I don't have to add any weird compound curves in the windshield.

P_20200712_002457.jpg

The pieces are pretty roughly cut for now, they don't line up perfectly, but they're just held in with pins for now. They'll get cut to shape once I have the windshield size determined.

I cut them out by drawing a template based on the piece of the fuselage side already there, then just putting it on some soft balsa and using the scroll saw.

P_20200712_000710 (1).jpg

I made some test windshields out of paper to get the size right. I was going to somehow flatten out the existing windshield and use that, but that proved too impractical. I think this is about perfect, now to just duplicate it onto plastic.

P_20200712_013524.jpg

I might also now add the skylight, at the top of the wing, if I have extra plastic left over to do it with...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Nice work on the rebuild and all the new details. A couple thoughts:
- Fiberglass Specialties makes replacement cowls out of fiberglass, typically much better than OEM lightweight cowls. I've used them on a few planes and haven't been disappointed.
- I did a similar door/window setup on a 1/4 scale Cub and found the window needed extra work to keep it lined up with the door, so I glued two short sections of wire into the bottom edge of the window frame. These two "pegs" fit into corresponding holes in the top edge of the door frame. The result is that when the door is closed and latched, the window can't move at all, in or out.
- "Chrome Yellow" is also known as School Bus Yellow, made specifically for the bus industry.
- Nice work creating the jury struts. They're a small detail that really adds to the finished look of the plane.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I always thought that school buses and cubs have a similar color...

I thought about ordering from Fiberglass Specialties. I like their products quite a lot and I've used them in the past. However since I got into making fiberglass parts myself a little while ago I guess I haven't really been able to stop. I'm pretty sure the cowling they sell for the 40 size cub doesn't have the ability to be separated, which would not only require cutting it apart but would also require adding extra pieces.

I actually have an idea planned for holding the door and window in place when closed that doesn't need said pegs. The window will have some kind of spring on it that applies a little bit of outwards pressure on the window when it's all the way closed. When the window is closed all the way, it is held there by the door, while meanwhile the door is being pushed against its latches lightly by the window, and so nothing is free to wiggle around. Though, I might add the peg method if for whatever reason this ends up not working.

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Today I mainly concentrated on the windshield, since I didn't have much time to work. It's made out of .015 PETG. Much thinner and easier to work with than the plastic I was originally going to use which was similar in thickness to the standard windshield. It's actually pretty stiff when formed into this shape due to the curvature. Just held in with pins here, since I hadn't figured out the screw locations and still had to trim it some.

P_20200712_170410.jpg

After this, I cut down the "blended wing section" (what the crap is it actually called???) pieces and covered the underside. I only covered the top at first since I needed to sand them to be flat with the edges already there after gluing them in. Then, I covered it all up after.

P_20200712_182255.jpg

At this stage, since there was nothing more I needed to do with it, I covered the fuselage side, along with the door and window as well as added the clear monokote in the window. Looks pretty good! The windshield is a little buckled around the edges still. I will change the screw locations a little to hopefully mitigate most of this. The door latch is built, though not yet installed. I'll probably add some little magnets inside the door and fuselage so I can fly with the door open. Hinges will be added soon, when I get the latch added to the door.

P_20200713_002247.jpg

I figure I might as well also add the skylight as now I don't have a servo occupying the middle of the wing blocking one. Basically I just cut the window to the same width as the top of the windshield. I'll hold it in with screws, so I should probably install some thicker basla pieces around the edges of the window as the flimsy 1/16 wing skin, even with CA reinforcement, would probably not survive very long holding a window.

Here's the window outline before I cut it out.

P_20200712_182724.jpg

Almost immediately I encountered these. I'm really not sure why they're here - they serve little actual purpose as there's some pretty much identical pieces right next to them on the other side of the wing pegs. I ended up cutting them out anyway.

P_20200712_183243.jpg

I also painted the wing spars black, to make them less noticeable. I might also add some side pieces inside the windows as looking at the exposed wing innards is a little strange.

P_20200712_185829.jpg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
We have doorishness?

P_20200716_011139.jpg

Anyway I installed the door and window using Robart hinge points. I installed the window with the hinges rotated slightly away from each other, so that the window will apply some slight pressure against the door when it is closed, holding the door against its hinges and preventing it from rattling around when closed. The door hinges themselves are pretty stiff, but that's sort of by design. I didn't intend for them to be as stiff as they ended up being (due to a little bit of CA unintentionally getting into the hinges when I was gluing them into the fuselage) but I wanted them to be somewhat stiff so it would hold itself open better when flying. It's stiff enough that it might not actually need a latch when open.

Might wanna stop scrolling here.

P_20200716_002008.jpg

Yeah, the latching mechanism is... really ugly. Originally my plan was to use a brass tab instead of the mess of bent wire you see there to both hold the door on the handle side and hold the rubber band for tensioning. Though - it does its job orders of magnitude better than it has any right to. I wanted to bind and solder the wires together, which would have looked a crapload better, buuuuuuut I quickly found there were problems with this - one, this wire I got absolutely would not accept any solder no matter how much I heated it, how much silver was in the solder or how much flux I poured onto it. I've never had any music wire do anything like that. Not sure entirely what it is - in all other regards it behaves exactly like music wire. Secondly soldering it would involve heating the wire (obviously) which poses problems when there are highly combustible materials nearby (namely wood) so I guess heatshrink tube and epoxy will have to do for now.

I think tomorrow I'll get around to sealing the firewall. Perhaps I'll also run the engine if I can get it installed and work out all the plumbing. Then this project will probably hibernate for a bit untill my glass cloth gets here. Maybe I'll rig up some proper tail wires...

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Today I sealed up the firewall with epoxy and installed the engine. Put in all the associated fuel system plumbing too - well, all I needed to at the moment.

P_20200720_211900.jpg

Muffler pressure is not set up here. I actually dropped the muffler by accident and cracked the pressure nipple off, but that's okay because I have no intent to use this muffler in the future anyway. The only reason I have it installed now is because if I test run the engine without it, it would vomit oil absolutely everywhere. I ran the engine a little bit today too and it runs just as well inverted it seems. I'll need to tune a bit more when I have the time to, but that's because I lowered the tank slightly to prevent siphoning and with no muffler pressure it doesn't behave well at idle. With the final exhaust system I think it'll behave pretty much exactly as it did originally.

Last edited:

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Today I sealed up the firewall with epoxy and installed the engine. Put in all the associated fuel system plumbing too - well, all I needed to at the moment.

View attachment 175209

Muffler pressure is not set up here. I actually dropped the muffler by accident and cracked the pressure nipple off, but that's okay because I have no intent to use this muffler in the future anyway. The only reason I have it installed now is because if I test run the engine without it, it would vomit oil absolutely everywhere. I ran the engine a little bit today too and it runs just as well inverted it seems. I'll need to tune a bit more when I have the time to, but that's because I lowered the tank slightly to prevent siphoning and with no muffler pressure it doesn't behave well at idle. With the final exhaust system I think it'll behave pretty much exactly as it did originally.
I'm not really into big balsa planes but I have a huge respect for someone who spends enough time and patience to build one of these masterpieces! Nice work Man!

Your signature always makes me crack up when I read it. LOL

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Your signature always makes me crack up when I read it. LOL

It's based in reality ;) I had exactly that happen on my other little Cub not long ago when I tried to STOL it too hard and it tip stalled on me and went in. I can't even take my own darn advice :ROFLMAO:

0713202051.jpg

It looks worse than it actually is. The wing spar is broken, but on this plane the struts actually serve a structural purpose so the wing spar isn't very big. I had this back flying the weekend after.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
It's based in reality ;) I had exactly that happen on my other little Cub not long ago when I tried to STOL it too hard and it tip stalled on me and went in. I can't even take my own darn advice :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 175226

It looks worse than it actually is. The wing spar is broken, but on this plane the struts actually serve a structural purpose so the wing spar isn't very big. I had this back flying the weekend after.
Looks like a clean break. As long as we learn that's what counts!

OliverW

Legendary member

View attachment 175226

Wait, are you epic RC on instagram? If so I just saw you guys post that pic a week or so ago

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Wait, are you epic RC on instagram? If so I just saw you guys post that pic a week or so ago

That's run by my friend, though he does post my stuff quite a lot on it. He also owns that plane now.

Speaking of the Cub that this thread is about: I noticed the door mechanism broke at some point without me even doing anything to it. Apparently the CA and heatshrink wasn't strong enough to put up with the rubber band :unsure: Can't work on the plane now but I'll get to it later...

TooJung2Die

Master member
Speaking of the Cub that this thread is about: I noticed the door mechanism broke at some point without me even doing anything to it. Apparently the CA and heatshrink wasn't strong enough to put up with the rubber band :unsure:
I've looked at your photo of the door latch a few times and I still can't quite figure what you designed. Do you have any video of it locking/unlocking?