greetings and salutations!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
another odd question. I'm about ready to buy a RadioMaster TX12...but wondering if there have been revisions of it and whether I should be watchful in getting the better of any revisions?
Not sure if the TX12 covers the same number of protocol's as the TX16s :unsure:. To be honest if its just the money, I would hold off until you can afford the TX16s its far superior to the TX12 in both ergonomics and functionality.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
yes...but it's almost 2x the price of the TX16S and it's the big chassis, not smaller like the TX12 and T12 from Jumper are. ;)
I like the way the TX16s feels in the hands and I like the screen so for me its no compromise. But I can understand if you are limited by funds why you would choose the cheaper option.
Either way the Radiomaster has definitely started to make a good name for itself in the RC community, it shows with the increase in the price over the last 12 months.

Marzipan

@TheFlyingBrit well, the TX16S is more expensive...and the TX16S Max is REALY expensive...but my interest in the TX12 is it's smaller size. I know it doesn't have all the protocols like the TX16S, but I'm okay with that for now.

I wish I could get some hands on but I live in the middle of nowhere...the closest big city is a 9 hour drive and I'm finding that almost all the hobby shops in Canada don't carry much more than Spektrum and Futaba. :p So far the only store is GreatHobbies.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
@TheFlyingBrit well, the TX16S is more expensive...and the TX16S Max is REALY expensive...but my interest in the TX12 is it's smaller size. I know it doesn't have all the protocols like the TX16S, but I'm okay with that for now.

I wish I could get some hands on but I live in the middle of nowhere...the closest big city is a 9 hour drive and I'm finding that almost all the hobby shops in Canada don't carry much more than Spektrum and Futaba. :p So far the only store is GreatHobbies.
I bought my Radiomaster from Banggood and paid £124 at the time incl postage. My mate said I was taking a risk and perhaps I was, but it paid off and never looked back.
They are now £143 with free postage from Aliexpress, I have been thinking of buying another as a backup and a spare for my son to use if and when he decides to fly again. That would allow me to sell the spare Spektrum DX6i which are holding there price. I should get £60 to £70 for it and that will reduce my cost for the TX16s.
I didn't realise how much cheaper the Tx12 was than the TX16s, £58 to £64 price range so I can see why you want that as a starter option. The only down side I foresee is the screen will make it harder to navigate around Open Tx compared with the big colour screen of the TX16s. Saying that the Taranis X9 has a small monochrome screen and people manage to navigate around with that happily. Suppose its what you get use to at the end of the day.
Don't know if you have already seen this review ? but posted it incase you hadn't.

Marzipan

the TX12 is $119 CAD locally, AliE is the same so will buy local.

the TX16s is about $229 and the new Max is $369.

I hope to find the Jumper T12 Pro...its about $30 more than the TX12, but I can't find stock anywhere. AliE has had them pop up a few times but want $200 CAD.

thx for the review. I have seen it before but nvr hurts to watch again.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
the TX12 is $119 CAD locally, AliE is the same so will buy local.

the TX16s is about $229 and the new Max is $369.

I hope to find the Jumper T12 Pro...its about $30 more than the TX12, but I can't find stock anywhere. AliE has had them pop up a few times but want $200 CAD.

thx for the review. I have seen it before but nvr hurts to watch again.
To be honest I would stick with the Radiomaster its more reliable, better designed. The Jumper still hasn't got the charging issue sorted, as far as I am aware. So you have to remove the battery pack to charge it, where as the Radiomaster you can charge in the transmitter with a USB lead supplied. Its just little things like the charging, that make it just that bit better than the Jumper version.

Marzipan

To be honest I would stick with the Radiomaster its more reliable, better designed. The Jumper still hasn't got the charging issue sorted, as far as I am aware. So you have to remove the battery pack to charge it, where as the Radiomaster you can charge in the transmitter with a USB lead supplied. Its just little things like the charging, that make it just that bit better than the Jumper version.

I'm not too worried about the charging stuff. honestly, I'm a bit peeved the tx has no indicator that the battery is charging or that the battery is charged.

also, a bit more complicated, but the TX12 can support Spektrum and a few others via external modules. I'm not sure how much said modules would cost, but with the two battery system the TX12 won't suffer like the Jumper T8 Pro does, with it's single battery.

so, back to my original question...have there been revisions and should I watch out for anything in particular? not at you Brit, in general as it's an open question. ;)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I'm not too worried about the charging stuff. honestly, I'm a bit peeved the tx has no indicator that the battery is charging or that the battery is charged.

also, a bit more complicated, but the TX12 can support Spektrum and a few others via external modules. I'm not sure how much said modules would cost, but with the two battery system the TX12 won't suffer like the Jumper T8 Pro does, with it's single battery.

so, back to my original question...have there been revisions and should I watch out for anything in particular? not at you Brit, in general as it's an open question. ;)
There is a charge light on the TX16s which interestingly goes out once the batteries are fully charged, no idea what the charging set-up is for the TX12 sorry.
I bought the FRsky XJT module because I predominantly use FRsky receivers and I also use it to give me wireless buddy box connection. I am 99% sure it has DSMx and DSM2 protocol support, because I bound it to my sons DX6i transmitter as a wireless buddy box, while using the internal module of the TX16s to bind to the model.
As for any other updates sorry I don't know of any for the Tx12 myself, I would trawl through you tube see what others have found ? All I am aware of is it only has the CC2500 RF chip installed, which covers a lot of commonly used protocols FRSKY D16-D8, Corona, Hitec, Futaba S-FHSS, RadioLink, Graupner HoTT, BUT it does not support Spektrum DSMX, You would need a seperate external module.
I think at present the iRange-X is the cheapest.
1636067862391.png
1636068700429.png
1636068751339.png

However if you plan to use mostly Spektrum receivers :rolleyes: I would suggest buying the Spektrum DM9 module. My personal preference is obvious, so won't harp on anymore about it.

AgentC

Elite member
I should mention that it seems FT's availability in Canada is sparse. I've found a couple of resellers via Google and Amazon Canada has literally nothing for them. after exchange I know our dollar sucks, but a number of the prices are ridiculously far out.

does FT have a list of partners north of the 49th?

I don't have any problem with ordering from FT directly...but do fear insane brokerage fees. or if you know of US hobby stores that ship into Canada, please feel free to recommend them to me.

many thanks!
I've ordered from FT directly and haven't received brokerage or customs fees (I live near Toronto).
Like Jason said, the EZ3 pack doesn't need anything else purchased electronics-wise), but you will need foam board, hot glue, blades/craft knife, and tape to make your actual planes. If you can find a Dollar Tree instead of Dollarama, you'll find Adams readiboard.

The link to all the EZ planes index is a great resource!
I'd actually skip getting the 2-channel pack, as you can fly the 3 channel without adding the servo and elevators, and then progress to them when you're ready. That's if they ever come in stock again...
If you are still buying it, do get an extra battery or two. The USB that comes with it is decent, but there are plenty of options even on Amazon for extra batteries and charger bundles.

Marzipan

how many of you subscribe to r/c magazines, aircraft or otherwise? are there any aircraft mags worth the subscription price? I would want the digital versions...paper is nice, but you run out of space to store them far too quickly. :(

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
1637025750997.png
1637026111876.png

I don't subscribe to this magazine, but I have occasionally bought a copy off the self. If I spot a good free plan give away (they give a free plan away with every issue).
However, I am pretty sure my mate gets these regularly. He has sent them to me in the past, with specific articles of interest. I don't know if subscribes or has another means of getting them free ?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I am glad we could have you join us for a bit. We will have another in December. But if you are building... Just shout in the general chat and see if there are folks who want to hang out in a build party chat room.

Thanks Jason, I didn't see this.
I might be able to join over December... What time do you normally have the live stream? In GMT 0 time. ??

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I might be able to join over December... What time do you normally have the live stream? In GMT 0 time. ??
Joe and I live in EST and we typically build over 8-11pm EST, there are months were we will build on a Saturday 11am-2pm EST. which is a better time period for a wider range of people. (timezones) But I have a very busy schedule with my boys, and nighttime tends to be less.... hectic.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Joe and I live in EST and we typically build over 8-11pm EST, there are months were we will build on a Saturday 11am-2pm EST. which is a better time period for a wider range of people. (timezones) But I have a very busy schedule with my boys, and nighttime tends to be less.... hectic.
Wow that's 3am to 6 am for me😂😂... I could do it if I went down to my build room.. luckily I have WiFi there.
The Saturday time is 6 -9 pm... For me a little harder as that's dinner time😂