Guillow's 500 Series Spitfire RC Conversion

Spacechicken134

Hi,
I am finally getting into constructing my own RC aircraft. I had a look around and I stumbled across a few people that converted Guillow's balsa aircraft to RC. It looked interesting so I researched a bit more and decided I wanted to convert a 500 series Spitfire. I am currently collecting all the parts I need, but in the mean time I wanted to know if I could use the electronics from a Horizon Hobby Sport Cub S I had lying around, since I do enjoy having the reassurance of SAFE. Most importantly I was wandering if the motor will even be able to move the aircraft at all. If not which motors will work in terms of KV, Voltage, ect.
Thanks.

cyclone3350

Master member
I've done a couple of that size conversions. If U R going to use the 1s system, I've found that it if the AUW doesn't exceed 57g or 2oz, U have a good chance of success. Another option is going with a 10g 2200kv 2s motor (e-flite 180 for example). If U can keep the AUW to 3oz/85g, that will give U plenty of power. The airframe itself, will not fly very well if the weight exceeds 3oz. Here are some ideas that may help. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...ows-R-c-Conversion-post!!!/page21#post3700234

Spacechicken134

I've done a couple of that size conversions. If U R going to use the 1s system, I've found that it if the AUW doesn't exceed 57g or 2oz, U have a good chance of success. Another option is going with a 10g 2200kv 2s motor (e-flite 180 for example). If U can keep the AUW to 3oz/85g, that will give U plenty of power. The airframe itself, will not fly very well if the weight exceeds 3oz. Here are some ideas that may help. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?278820-Guillows-R-c-Conversion-post!!!/page21#post3700234
Thankyou so much! This helps a lot. If I do end up upgrading the motor, will I be able to connect it to the sport cub flightcontroller/ecs? Or will I have to wait until the proper parts arrive?

cyclone3350

Master member
Thankyou so much! This helps a lot. If I do end up upgrading the motor, will I be able to connect it to the sport cub flightcontroller/ecs? Or will I have to wait until the proper parts arrive?
Unfortunately, U cannot as it is a brushed motor & limited to only a 1s bat. U will need a brushless 2s esc and a different RX & servos.

Spacechicken134

L
Unfortunately, U cannot as it is a brushed motor & limited to only a 1s bat. U will need a brushless 2s esc and a different RX & servos.
Ah, ok, that makes sense. I will just wait for the proper parts to arrive before I attempt to use a more powerfull motor.
Thanks for the help.