Hello and next plane

mhlau999

Hello,
I am relearning how to fly after a 14 year break. I built an electric glider and was flying at a club, now keep in mind this is way before 2.4GHz if it was a nice hot day I could fly for up to 45 minutes, now if you are a gas plane flyer and there are only so many frequencies it is a problem if you are on the same frequency as I am. Needless to say I was asked to not participate flying there any more. I tried flying in parks but ended up giving up.

Fast forward to about two months ago, I did a kickstarter for powerup 4.0, it is an indoor paper airplane with a foam FT jet. So I started poking around flite test. Quickly I was hooked again. I bought a Hobbyzone Champ and off I went. I waited till it is not too windy so I could fly it, which in central Indiana is almost never. So I started flying it on trainer and it went really well, I am not flying trainer anymore....seriously if a butterfly flaps by this plane moves. Please understand it is an amazing little plane. I have multiple batteries and I am flying the crap out of this plane.

So my general question is...I was thinking my next plane I would go with the Hobbyzone Cub S, slightly bigger, has ailerons and three training modes, or do I go with the FT simple cub with ailerons?

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Howdy from the New Castle area. The Simple Cub isn't a bad little plane but can be a bit squirrely. You might look at the Bushwacker or the Simple Stick, they're supposed to be better flying planes and several peeps here swear by them.

Edit: I meant to type Simple Scout rather than stick.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The bushwhacker would be a good one to go with as a transition from the Champ to something bigger. It is floaty yet bigger, will handle the wind better

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
@Indy durtdigger , are you talking about the FT Bushwacker?
Yes the FT one. Or another similar plane is one that a fellow forum member designed called the Shrubsmacker. It can be found in the plans index of any post from @Grifflyer. I made his P-39 earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it till linkage failure caused it's demise. And Noblesville is about an hour ish away from where I'm sitting now.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
The Shrubsmacker will be a scratch build. Not sure how your equipped but that's the way to go if you can, build a plane less electronics or any fancy for around 5 bucks. Also there is a hobby shop in the Castle Run Shopping Center that sells Flite test stuff. It's Hobby Town, I was in there a while ago before I got back into the hobby. They had some of the FT kits in store but I don't remember what they had, their website does tell you what is in store.

mhlau999

I have a spectrum 6e radio, no servos yet. You know I was looking for a z bender and I think they have one there so was thinking of popping over and checking it out. That is so cool they have FT kits. Now I have to make a trip over.

mhlau999

WOW, they are like $18 ish on amazon. that is awesome, so when you buy a kit from FT you don't buy the power pack if you will, that includes the motor, esc and servos? You know what is in the kit and you buy them individually?

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Yup. The first couple scratch builds I made I ordered power packs for them then to save money started piecing them out. For the most part it's the servos and esc's I look elsewhere for with the understanding that I might get what I'm paying for sometimes.