Help needed with servo screws...

ZonderVold

Hello,

I just recently had to replace an 8 gram servo on my plane. I sadly lost my screw to hold down the output shaft (as seen in the image below). I have bought some screws but I was unable to find the correct one.

Does anyone know what the screw measurements are for the output shaft's screw?

Thank you.

image_2021-07-16_192657.png

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Hello,

I just recently had to replace an 8 gram servo on my plane. I sadly lost my screw to hold down the output shaft (as seen in the image below). I have bought some screws but I was unable to find the correct one.

Does anyone know what the screw measurements are for the output shaft's screw?

Thank you.

View attachment 203822
Not sure what the measurements are, and the manufacturer probably won't have much on their website, but you can just use the screw from the old servo that you replaced. Also, check to see if the servo came with any extra screws.

ZonderVold

Not sure what the measurements are, and the manufacturer probably won't have much on their website, but you can just use the screw from the old servo that you replaced. Also, check to see if the servo came with any extra screws.

I don't have the screw from the old servo, the servo itself broke, the output shaft didn't have to be replaced. That is why I don't have any other screw from the old servo to put onto the new one. I didn't get any screws along with the servo.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I don't have the screw from the old servo, the servo itself broke, the output shaft didn't have to be replaced. That is why I don't have any other screw from the old servo to put onto the new one. I didn't get any screws along with the servo.
I know that the servo is the one that broke. I meant that you could just remove the old screw that used to hold on the servo horn and put it on the new servo. A broken servo doesn't mean that the screw can't be removed and reused.
Since you don't have the old screw and since the new servo didn't come with any screws (pretty odd if you ask me), you could probably use another screw from another servo.
In the first post you mentioned that you bought some screws. Which ones did you get?

ZonderVold

Unfortunately, I don't own any other servos or anything. This was my first servo repair (just got into the hobby of rc flying). I got random screws hoping I could find one in similar sizes but they where too long or too fat. I did try to put a few in but the plane just made noises that I've never heard and the servo didn't turn very well.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Unfortunately, I don't own any other servos or anything. This was my first servo repair (just got into the hobby of rc flying). I got random screws hoping I could find one in similar sizes but they where too long or too fat. I did try to put a few in but the plane just made noises that I've never heard and the servo didn't turn very well.
I'm not really sure how to help. If you have others you fly with at a club or something you could ask there. If not, you could also call Spektrum and have them send a replacement, but at that point it might be better to just get a new servo that has a screw. I have flown planes without the servo horn screws in (by accident), and the servo horn probably won't come out, but I wouldn't really risk it.

Bricks

Master member
Understood, thank you for the help.

Servo screws are another one of those things that should be standardized by servo size...it sure as heck would save a bunch of headaches. I have probably 50 different servo screws, and of course non will fit the servo I might be working on.

ZonderVold

Servo screws are another one of those things that should be standardized by servo size...it sure as heck would save a bunch of headaches. I have probably 50 different servo screws, and of course non will fit the servo I might be working on.

I agree! It's crazy how many screws I've looked at to try to find the right screw.

Is there a specific place you buy your screws at? I've just been to random hardware stores looking for a similar looking one.

Bricks

Master member
I agree! It's crazy how many screws I've looked at to try to find the right screw.

Is there a specific place you buy your screws at? I've just been to random hardware stores looking for a similar looking one.

No I don`t have a place most of my screws have come from dead servos.