Hey im new to the hobby and i need help picking my first rc plane

Death_Storm

I have been flying drones for years now, and my friend has kindred my interest in the rc aircraft hobby. he can help me build the plane but we need help picking my first plane to build and fly. I have never flown an rc plane before so want an easy to fly yet not a verry large plane. I have 2212-2200kv and-2212 1800kv motors, and 5,6,8,10 inch bi and tri blade props 1500 mah battery. Thank you for your help.

TheOldMonk

Go with Scout. That appears to be a popular recommendation.

I would say if you are looking to build, crash, learn & graduate to better looking plane quickly - Start with FT Flyer and 7-10 flights later bring in the Simple Scout.

If you looking for a long term sweet looking plus good trainer - Start with Scout right away. Just do a few online simulator runs prior.

bisco

Elite member
any clubs in your area that can teach you to fly? if not, you may want to put a gyro in whatever you build.

josh does a video on installation and setup

Death_Storm

Go with Scout. That appears to be a popular recommendation.

I would say if you are looking to build, crash, learn & graduate to better looking plane quickly - Start with FT Flyer and 7-10 flights later bring in the Simple Scout.

If you looking for a long term sweet looking plus good trainer - Start with Scout right away. Just do a few online simulator runs prior.
Thank you verry much will look into the scout , and yes i am starting to practice using sims

MacClarkNC

Full size scout is much easier to fly than the mini for me. Between the scout and the tiny trainer, I was able to be self taught, stay away from gradits, just build and try to fly and expect crashes and repairs. It will require 2 different engine/elec setup, but then you have what is needed for other planes

TheOldMonk

Full size scout is much easier to fly than the mini for me. Between the scout and the tiny trainer, I was able to be self taught, stay away from gradits, just build and try to fly and expect crashes and repairs. It will require 2 different engine/elec setup, but then you have what is needed for other planes
Which is better Scout or Trainer to start as the very first plane ever to fly.

Shurik-1960

https://aliexpress.ru/item/32900801...anceFatFullDataAll&ru_algo_pv_id=6b50cb-2a605 3-6b4fee-08c94e-1707109200&scenario=appOrderListRecommend&sku_id=12000026294091836&traffic_source=recommendation&type_rcmd=core
Over the past year, more than 20 children and adults have learned how to control this model. You can simply release the control levers and the model will take off smoothly even in strong winds. I think this model should be the first training table.Then you can assemble the models yourself or buy Flite Test kits and enjoy flying.

TheOldMonk

https://aliexpress.ru/item/32900801...anceFatFullDataAll&ru_algo_pv_id=6b50cb-2a605 3-6b4fee-08c94e-1707109200&scenario=appOrderListRecommend&sku_id=12000026294091836&traffic_source=recommendation&type_rcmd=core
Over the past year, more than 20 children and adults have learned how to control this model. You can simply release the control levers and the model will take off smoothly even in strong winds. I think this model should be the first training table.Then you can assemble the models yourself or buy Flite Test kits and enjoy flying.
Aliexpress has Supply Chain restrictions in India.

Death_Storm

ok yeah my friend said the same thing and plus i dont have the right motors for the mini

Death_Storm

Most china related websites like ebay and aliexpress i dont have access to

TheOldMonk

Most china related websites like ebay and aliexpress i dont have access to
Got with Simple Scout. Try a bit elongated nose (about 2 inches) if your foam is heavy. That way your powerpod will be more in front and so will be the maximum weight of the Motor and ESC and Battery.

One more suggestion, i got on another thread - start with FT Flyer (dirt cheap) with 2212 motor that you have. The. Use the same in Simple Scout.

By any chance, are you from India, Bangalore?

Death_Storm

Got with Simple Scout. Try a bit elongated nose (about 2 inches) if your foam is heavy. That way your powerpod will be more in front and so will be the maximum weight of the Motor and ESC and Battery.

One more suggestion, i got on another thread - start with FT Flyer (dirt cheap) with 2212 motor that you have. The. Use the same in Simple Scout.

By any chance, are you from India, Bangalore?
Yea thanks a lot i will most porbably be making simple scout i will post an update will look into the FT flyer and yea Banglore, India you too?

TheOldMonk

Yea thanks a lot i will most porbably be making simple scout i will post an update will look into the FT flyer and yea Banglore, India you too?
Yes, I Am. Let's Catch Up.

Scout is an ultimate plane. Mine looks like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240406-015400.png
    Screenshot_20240406-015400.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240406-015044.png
    Screenshot_20240406-015044.png
    2 MB · Views: 1

MacClarkNC

Which is better Scout or Trainer to start as the very first plane ever to fly.
I started with the Scout, had never touched an RC transmitter or built a plane, only model rockets. I built, crashed repeated so many times , I became discouraged so switched to tiny trainer. Flew it after many build , crash , repairs. Then went back to the scout with success there as well. Have only flown scratch built planes. Good luck. I do order parts from flitetest.

Death_Storm

one final question which plan should i download for a4 paper

Tiled A-Size (7-1/2 x 10)​

Tiled B-Size (15 x 20)​

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
I have been flying drones for years now, and my friend has kindred my interest in the rc aircraft hobby. he can help me build the plane but we need help picking my first plane to build and fly. I have never flown an rc plane before so want an easy to fly yet not a verry large plane. I have 2212-2200kv and-2212 1800kv motors, and 5,6,8,10 inch bi and tri blade props 1500 mah battery. Thank you for your help.
Dear Death_Storm, (interesting handle. I would love to hear the story behind the handle). Many here have recommended the Scout. I agree. I have two and I love it. The motors you have will work with the 6" or 8" props you listed. We recommend ExpressLRS receivers these days. What transmitter do you have. If you don't have one, we love the RadioMaster Pocket (be sure to get the ExpressLRS version).

You mentioned you have flown drones for a number of years and we you listed motor sizes I'm betting you fly drones you have built. Do you fly FPV? The one challenge you will have is flying the airplane toward yourself. You will be great flying away as all the controls are very close to what you are accustomed to flying a drone. Then, you turn around and up is still up but left is right. We offer a nice simulator called Wings. It is inexpensive when compared to the top of the line fixed wing simulators. And, it has the Scout as a model. I really suggest a simulator to get your muscle memory accustomed to flying toward yourself.

We have a new Beginners section on the website. Please take a look at that and let me what you think.

Thanks for posting here.