Hey YOU! New girl or new guy, shut up and listen (or: My Simple scout build thread)

Headbang

Master member
FDS is right on the tx for price, that said the biggest key is to go with what others you know have or what is popular in the circle of support you have. Jumper T8's are popular and cheap, same with T12's. Lots of people to help with those here on the forum. If you are in my club I suggest spectrum because it is readily available in a store 20mins away, and myself and others know them inside and out locally. Graupner wound be a good choice as well locally due to so many of us having them as well. Here on the forum the lower cost full feature radios are popular.

Piotrsko

Master member
I don't see anything wrong with the plane, other than it looks like it's airworthy. Good luck and don't get discouraged.

Reactions: FDS

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Cheers everyone!

So I will attempt my first ever RC plane flight this afternoon, which will also be the maiden flight of my Simple Scout.

I setup expo at 20% on every channels, following a bit of reading and guessing. It's balanced and a bit nose heavy. If you have last second advice now is the time. Oh, by the way, I've put one antenna along the fuselage and one hanging under the plane. Right way to go ?
I will also attempt to ground take off from a little rural road, and if possible land it in one piece.

I "tried" decorating it but I think I s**k at it... Anyway, here's what it looks like before it's maiden flight:

View attachment 147660
View attachment 147661
Your plane looks perfect! I wish you all the luck with your maiden's maiden!

Reactions: FDS

hiroshiman

Thank you guys for your kind words on the plane's look. It did look quite good actually, especially now that I see it in it's new not near mint condition. I HAD A BALL!!!! :love::love::ROFLMAO::giggle:

GUYS THAT WAS BRILLIANT! THE PLANE IS WRECKED! I WRECKED IT AT THE FIRST ATTEMPT (duh)! Oh man... I love Flitetest concept. I went out well equipped, I had tape and a few props. The first crash was pretty nasty and totally detached the wings from the body and broke the power pod housing (the exterior), the wings went through their housing, and the propeller broke. I taped everything kinda back in place and flew it again, and crashed it! FIXED AGAIN. AND FLEW THE DAMN THING!!! I even kinda landed!!! AND LOST A WHEEL DURING THE LAST FLIGHT! IT WAS AWESOME!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)

Sorry there is no video editing, my parent and my wife were there to support me the best they could and we had a lot of fun, there's a bit of chit chat in french and so on. Guys I can't wait to try again.

It's getting late here so I'm just sending the youtube links, and a few pictures of how wrecked it is. Please share your thoughts here. I have a few observation I want to share but will do that tomorrow. Thanks for all the encouragement and nice words from everyone and happy flying!

Take care!

1st attempt
3nd attempt
4th attempt

WRECKED (I'll fix it ;)):
Wrecked1.jpg

Wrecked2.jpg

Wrecked3.jpg

Wildthing

Legendary member
Cheers everyone!

So I will attempt my first ever RC plane flight this afternoon, which will also be the maiden flight of my Simple Scout.

I setup expo at 20% on every channels, following a bit of reading and guessing. It's balanced and a bit nose heavy. If you have last second advice now is the time. Oh, by the way, I've put one antenna along the fuselage and one hanging under the plane. Right way to go ?
I will also attempt to ground take off from a little rural road, and if possible land it in one piece.

I "tried" decorating it but I think I s**k at it... Anyway, here's what it looks like before it's maiden flight:

Looks great. The only thing I would recommend is bending your landing gear forward, if the legs are long enough I would go right up to the nose. Where it sits when you go to land it will nose plant with ease.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thank you guys for your kind words on the plane's look. It did look quite good actually, especially now that I see it in it's new not near mint condition. I HAD A BALL!!!! :love::love::ROFLMAO::giggle:

GUYS THAT WAS BRILLIANT! THE PLANE IS WRECKED! I WRECKED IT AT THE FIRST ATTEMPT (duh)! Oh man... I love Flitetest concept. I went out well equipped, I had tape and a few props. The first crash was pretty nasty and totally detached the wings from the body and broke the power pod housing (the exterior), the wings went through their housing, and the propeller broke. I taped everything kinda back in place and flew it again, and crashed it! FIXED AGAIN. AND FLEW THE DAMN THING!!! I even kinda landed!!! AND LOST A WHEEL DURING THE LAST FLIGHT! IT WAS AWESOME!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)

Sorry there is no video editing, my parent and my wife were there to support me the best they could and we had a lot of fun, there's a bit of chit chat in french and so on. Guys I can't wait to try again.

It's getting late here so I'm just sending the youtube links, and a few pictures of how wrecked it is. Please share your thoughts here. I have a few observation I want to share but will do that tomorrow. Thanks for all the encouragement and nice words from everyone and happy flying!

Take care!

1st attempt
3nd attempt
4th attempt

View attachment 147668
View attachment 147669
View attachment 147670
Excellent :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'm just going to add that my 3 cell battery shows 11.63v, Cell1 is 3.88, cell2 is 3.90 and cell3 is 3.84. I read that storing at 3.8 is the way to go, so I will discharge it just a bit. is the cells difference OK or is it dangerous ? I have the Turnigy 8S Battery Capacity Meter which is theoretically a balance discharger as well. I can't find the manual...
No danger with the battery. Your link to the Meter, look down where the specification bar is and off to the right it has a Download bar, click on it and that should be your instructions to download.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Man, that was great! You have got the flying down, and it will only improve with practice! It took me several weeks to get to where you are now😂. My tip is to get higher next time. If you watch the video @buzzbomb made of himself maidening his Storch today, you’ll notice how much altitude he gets right off the bat. That way, if it gets sketchy, you’ll have time to pull out of it.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Take care!

1st attempt
3nd attempt
4th attempt

View attachment 147668
View attachment 147669
View attachment 147670
Well done and congratulations! Those were excellent first attempts! Seriously, that's as good as anyone can hope, their first time out. You flew! Plus you brought a plane back that will fly again, with a little repair. Wonderful! Bravo!

hiroshiman

Thanks guys ! I tried going super easy on the controls but it's really hard to fly. I think that at my first attempt I didn't have enough throttle and when I turned I lost too much lift as there was just a little bit of wind behind the plane, plus I basically did not know what I was doing :LOL:.

I tried to trim it a bit at the last attempt and I was looking for the buttons with my fingers and couldn't manage to. It was still tail heavy I guess because it was going up by itself, and turning left also. After seeing how I crashed it I was actually relieved by my "landings" because they were controlled enough not to wreck the plane any further.

I need to tweak the transmitter a bit and play with it to feel more comfortable, and I like it by the way. I think I went like a 100 meters away max. Next time I'll go higher as you say, because I was super low all along :LOL:

Oh man that was cool. I'm at work right now but I will take a little look at Buzzbomb's Maiden flight :)

FDS

Elite member
Don’t even think about turning until you are at least 60ft off the ground. I always fly up first, then there’s space to correct.
The TX range is about a kilometre, so no need to worry about that. I have flown up to 300ft high with my FT planes, no issues except it was hard to see it! Height is your friend, don’t be afraid to use it.
Go nice and high, then trim it up. Start with Elevator, then Aileron, then Rudder. If it’s going up when you have the stick centred just give it a little down elevator trim. Likewise trim right rudder to correct the left turn. The Scout does pitch up a bit on higher throttle, mine does anyway even tho I balance it a touch nose down before every flight.
That damage is about normal for crashing a scout, mine looked like that it’s second flight. I usually make one spare power pod and firewall when I do my initial build.
Well done, you flew it!

Piotrsko

Master member
Congratulations. You fly good enough to fly by yourself. Btw: you were flying 1/2 mistake high, until you're better, you need to be 3 mistakes high like others said. Makes the plane look new longer. NOBODY has ever crashed into the sky, they always crash into something else.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I used to tout the mini Scout as a good newb trainer because it was the first foam board plane I actually got to fly. I've since changed my tune a bit. It's not a bad option, but probably not ideal(it's a decent little plane and will work though, you seem to be doing well so far). The mini sized one is really finicky with CG and slop for one, plus there's the ever present debate on whether RET planes are really a good option to start a beginner on. I started on RET planes, and for quite a while, only flew AET and elevon planes in a sim. I was used to the idiosyncrasies of RET, but intimidated to design, build, or fly planes that were AET or elevons for longer than I should have been. That being said, when I made a real effort, the transition went quick and I got a good feel for ailerons and elevons fast, but I let myself sit in a "RET rut" for longer than necessary.

Fly that mini Scout and learn as best you can. I personally like the DR1 and you seem interested in building it. The DR1 would make a great second RET plane that's more interesting and challenging than the Scout, but I'd say directly before, after, or concurrently with your DR1 build, you should already be looking at a plane with ailerons or elevons. That could be a war bird, a wing, a delta, or as many people recommend, a Tiny Trainer! As long as you stick to something pretty basic to build and fly, it will be an easy transition, you just have to get used to having full roll control, and your plane responding more in real-time to your exact throws and movements than those RET snap turns augmented by dihedral auto-leveling.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I used to tout the mini Scout as a good newb trainer because it was the first foam board plane I actually got to fly. I've since changed my tune a bit. It's not a bad option, but probably not ideal(it's a decent little plane and will work though, you seem to be doing well so far). The mini sized one is really finicky with CG and slop for one, plus there's the ever present debate on whether RET planes are really a good option to start a beginner on. I started on RET planes, and for quite a while, only flew AET and elevon planes in a sim. I was used to the idiosyncrasies of RET, but intimidated to design, build, or fly planes that were AET or elevons for longer than I should have been. That being said, when I made a real effort, the transition went quick and I got a good feel for ailerons and elevons fast, but I let myself sit in a "RET rut" for longer than necessary.

Fly that mini Scout and learn as best you can. I personally like the DR1 and you seem interested in building it. The DR1 would make a great second RET plane that's more interesting and challenging than the Scout, but I'd say directly before, after, or concurrently with your DR1 build, you should already be looking at a plane with ailerons or elevons. That could be a war bird, a wing, a delta, or as many people recommend, a Tiny Trainer! As long as you stick to something pretty basic to build and fly, it will be an easy transition, you just have to get used to having full roll control, and your plane responding more in real-time to your exact throws and movements than those RET snap turns augmented by dihedral auto-leveling.
@BATTLEAXE and @buzzbomb I think @Vimana89 stated it pretty well...

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I thought he was flying the full sized scout which should have allowances to use AET. Either way. Fly what makes you happy. :)

-J

FDS

Elite member
No need to upgrade your gear, just get more stick time and tweak your rates/expo a bit. Plus make more planes...