HK self build kits. Which are best?

Plumet

I do not have many options for kits other than HK. I have seen some builds and they seem ok at times.
I thought I would try a first build and went with the Sunbird. I knew instructions are poor and laser cutting can be a issue BUT in my kit the wood is appalling.pretty much every balsa sheet of parts is badly warped.i have had to cut all new tail parts.
I am hopeing that I was just unlucky and the guy how did mine as since been sacked!

If I was to try another HK kit,what are the best of the bunch?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
To be honest, trying to find a good balsa kit from Hobby King can be like trying to pick up a turd from the clean end. :p

The Sunbird really isn't a good first kit - it's fairly complex and has horrible instructions, and as you've seen the laser cutting is lacking as well.

Willsonman had good luck with his Spacewalker kit, although that too has some issues. It seems like a better kit with better instructions than the Sunbird. I've been tempted to pick up their new Piper J-3 kit, but have enough Cubs right now. You could try one of their balsa Park Scale Models kits. They are a little smaller, but I've heard the kits are decent.

Another option would be their Coud Dancer kit. It's a fairly bland looking plane, but the design looks good for a first build - straight wing sections, blocky fuselage, etc. The quality of the cutting would still be a question, but the design itself should help aid construction.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!