Hobby FPV Illegal in the USA, as of 29 August?

bandit

Does anyone know if this is true? As reported by forbes magazine:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl.../#74570e1c6743

From the forbes article:

Q: Could you confirm whether hobby FPV flyers will have to get a Part 107 remote pilot certificate after August 29 when the new drone rules go into effect?

A: Under the FAA’s current interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, modelers who want to fly their drones using first-person-view systems must operate under Part 107, which requires a Remote Pilot Certificate. The operator also would need to comply with any other applicable Part 107 requirement.

The FAA’s response indicates that it may review this requirement in the future, but starting Monday Part 107 is the law applicable to FPV flyers. According to the FAA: “The FAA solicited comments to its interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and received over 33,000 comments, including comments on the use of FPV. The FAA is considering the issues raised by those comments and plans to issue a final interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft that reflects its consideration of the comments.”

So to fly FPV quad racing, you have to get a Part 107 FAA License?

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
FPV is not covered under part 107 without spotters anyhow (or an exemption) any more than FPV via model aircraft rules is legal without LOS spotters.

Mike

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That Forbes blurb isn't even a real article and site ZERO documentation. Me thinks they are hoping on the fear train trying to snag hits on their sites. According to the part 107 summary FPV can be done under the guidelines laid out for non commercial drone flying as has been since all this stuff started.

bandit

That Forbes blurb isn't even a real article and site ZERO documentation. Me thinks they are hoping on the fear train trying to snag hits on their sites. According to the part 107 summary FPV can be done under the guidelines laid out for non commercial drone flying as has been since all this stuff started.

Ok but Part 107operation is not hobby use, you have to get a license. So yes FPV is legal with the Part 107 license, not legal without ( the "hobby" word in my title).

Is that not right?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
there are several things I have read. Mind you I am NOT a lawyer but from what I have read as a hobby level pilot you only need to use the "community (basically AMA) guidelines" (not to be confused with law) for common sense model flight.

So that means stay under 400 ft, stay away from airports, no closer then 50 ft to buildings, no closer then 25 ft to people or other property, no over head flights of people or public gatherings and spotters are preferred if possible.

I have seen several numerical "parts" stating one thing and then linking to another "Part" that adjusts parts of the previous rule. Early on I saw where they said a spotter is a must for FPV flight then linked to another part stating it was acceptable to FPV without if you are for example practicing drone racing on a closed course where no one is around and you are not near buildings or vehicles that can be damaged.

Since that time they have amended rules for commercial use and things like MUST have a spotter and no further then unassisted LOS of the spotter are in THOSE rulings. I have not seen anything specific saying ANY of these rules are a MUST for hobby flying as they still use the term community based guidelines.

Now depending on what you are doing the "authorities version of wreckless" may or may not differ from yours which is where this can easily turn into a cluster.....

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
"authorities version of wreckless" - possibly exactly that. Don't wreck because you hit something you can't see and hurt someone or something.

I flew down the bank of our river pretty far last night, but there was only water underneath and I was fairly close to shore (at over 500' feet from shore, I could, at almost any altitude compete for airspace with manned aircraft.)

Mike

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It gets worse. We are in the hobby, and we care what the rules are, even if only to decide if we wish to follow them.

Now, imagine your average cop, how informed will he be?

Now, this is just my personal opinion on how to handle it, but...

If you have your registration from the FAA, keep it. Be ready to show it, and always be polite. Explain that you're within the regulations because you have your registration card, and your number on your aircraft but thank the officer for coming out to check, because as a law abiding citizen you'd like every drone pilot to be registered just like you. If you're asked to leave, don't argue. Go, fly somewhere else. As you're packing up feel free to ask why you're not allowed to fly there. You can maybe use the information to get permission next time.

Also... the AMA has really dropped the ball on this for us. But, this is an election year. There's three candidates running, so if you're a member, learn the candidates and vote. If you're not a member, and are willing to fork out the $75, then register by August 29th, learn the candidates and vote!

The three on the ballot are,

Rich Hanson,

https://www.facebook.com/AMARichh?fref=ts

Eric Williams,

https://www.facebook.com/EricWilliamsAMA?fref=ts

and Lawrence Tougas.

https://www.facebook.com/tougas4president/?fref=ts

Tougas wants to go back to "traditional modeling". Essentially dropping FPV and drones from the AMA. He blames them for the current scrutiny. And he might be right. He also says trying to court the FPV and drone users into the AMA is a waste of resources, which I think is wrong.

Rich Hanson has been with the AMA for a while, but I can't say I've seen much that makes me believe he will fight for drones and FPV. Since he's been the guy on stage with the FAA and look where we are now.

Eric Williams to me, is the one that if we join, and are vocal, will be more likely to listen to us and help ensure that the AMA is inclusive of more than balsa and tissue flying.