I, for one, welcome our robot overlords

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I figure if the robot/AI uprising is inevitable as so many seem to speculate then I may as well start making sure they know I'm on their side. So...why not welcome another bot into my house!

I've already got the 3D printer and MPCNC as well as the eggbot I built this past spring. Not to mention the mini CNC I started with. Oh, and the robot arm I made:

So...what's next? What other new and interesting kind of 'bot can I welcome into our home...

A polar bot! I've wanted to build one of these for a long time. In fact I almost built one as my first bot since I figured it would be one of the quickest/cheapest to build. But it wasn't until I got the 3D printer and gained the ability to manufacture custom parts that I really dug in on building things.

Rather than start from scratch I'm jumping on some good old giant shoulders and using existing work. The same guy who designed the arm I printed also designed a polar bot so I started with his design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:798076

Turned out to be a fairly easy print, one evening and I had everything except the motor mounts printed:
20171108_235009.jpg

There are fancier designs that use bearings to help the supports rotate...but those are fairly large and expensive bearings which I didn't have on hand. I also decided to do this about a week ago in hopes of having it done for an art show at our office tomorrow...so waiting for mail order parts wasn't much of an option. This design is simple and seems to "just work".

I stole the RAMPS board I used on the eggbot, along with the steppers from the eggbot. Eventually I'd like to have a few more steppers and spare electronics so I can keep both bots going at the same time...but since the eggbot is rather seasonal I don't mind borrowing from it for now. Oh, I also stole the servo from the eggbot but that was due to me being too lazy to walk out to my shop and grab another. Eggy doesn't need it right now anyway :cool:

20171115_222237.jpg

The one problem I had with the prints was that the D cell batteries I had on hand don't quite fit the weight holders. I haven't had time to adjust them so I just kind of forced one to fit and the other two I just taped to the chains. It's not pretty...but it works.

Like, really - it works:

Well, ok. It's got a few issues still.

I haven't fully calibrated everything, I just took some "educated" guesses at the steps per degree and got it in the ballpark. And the speeds still need a lot of work. I'm using the Makeangelo firmware/software to control it: http://www.makelangelo.com/ It should be able to handle "normal" gcode but I haven't tried that yet because I haven't got the LCD/SDCard working yet. And the Makeangelo software for control doesn't seem to give a lot of control over speeds. So I've been modifying the hardcoded max speeds in the firmware and reflashing to find what works.

Drawing the built in generative "art" routines of the software it goes WAY too fast and the pen jumps all over. This causes the chain to jump in the sprockets and things get ugly quick.

On the other hand when I loaded up an SVG of the FT logo and ran it it (as in the video) it slowed down and actually didn't do that terrible:

20171115_230511.jpg

Though as you can see I did still have some chain skips that resulted in things going out of alignment. The problem is the pulleys don't quite match the chain I found at my local hardware store. I either need to find better chain or modify the pulleys. I'll probably try modifying the pulleys tonight because I can't find better chain in town. (These setups seem to work better with chain that has fewer but larger beads - like that used on some kinds of vertical blinds. Which I can order off Amazon or ebay but not in time for tomorrow!)

The other big issue I have is my stepper motors are too short. It fits this 24"x24" chunk of wood (that some of you may recognize as the original base of my MPCNC and which now serves as my waste board - the other side is UGLY) but just barely. But at the office I want to hang it on a big white board so it can draw with dry erase markers - so I'll need to extend the stepper wires.

I had one other issue at first where it was slipping like crazy...pulling on the cords one side would always slip while the other held fairly well. I thought it was the current on the steppers - but they're set almost identical. So I was going crazy trying to figure out what was wrong...then I remembered. I didn't add the set screws to the pulleys - one fit snug but the other was rotating on the motor shaft. Adding those set screws helped a LOT!

Oh - and so far none of those photos showed the pen up/down servo connected:
20171115_230516.jpg

Nothing fancy, just a few servo extensions dangling there. May need to add one or two more if I put it on the big dry erase board.

But...if I can't get the pulleys to play nicer tonight then I probably won't risk running it in public tomorrow.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome! I've been interested in building a polar bot for a couple years too, but the lack of software chain maturity has kept me from putting it on the top of the to-do pile yet. But it looks like that's come a good ways since I last looked into it!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
AWESOME!... Now combine the reciprocating needle on with the ink pen and you can do some robot Tattus! It would be a very stand up kinda thing to do. ;)

Cheers!
LitterBug

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Awesome! I've been interested in building a polar bot for a couple years too, but the lack of software chain maturity has kept me from putting it on the top of the to-do pile yet. But it looks like that's come a good ways since I last looked into it!

Yeah, the Makeangelo firmware is pretty advanced: https://github.com/MarginallyClever/Makelangelo-firmware

It has support for a couple of common boards and a bunch of machine styles (not just polar bots, but also corexy, traditional cartesian, deltas and more.)

I haven't really looked into why my LCD and SD aren't working yet...I honestly just got it up and going last night, when I hooked up the LCD it just went solid squares so something is wrong even though I thought I had it enabled in the firmware and it looks to be the style of LCD they're using.

The host software is in Java and I'm not as big on it. It's not bad...but...it's pretty simplistic. It does seem to do a good job of converting images to TSP style lines...but evil mad scientist have an app for doing that as well and their seems more fully featured. But the makangelo app does do "everything" converting bitmaps to lines, then generating gcode and sending gcode so it's kind of nice for that.

There are other firmware options as well, but this seemed like the post popular and easiest to get up and going with quick.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
AWESOME!... Now combine the reciprocating needle on with the ink pen and you can do some robot Tattus! It would be a very stand up kinda thing to do. ;)

I may welcome the bots - but I don't want them (or anyone else) tattooing me :D

I could toss a needle cutter on it and use it like a maslow style foam cutter...but given the current issues it's got that's definitely not going to work yet. Might be a fun experiment at some point...though I doubt it could ever do very accurate work.