I want to build a Gremlin...

Gryf

Hi, all. I've been flying things with wings for several years (RE: the list in my sig), but I'd like to stick my toe in the FPV quad waters. I've built a Tiny Whoop to learn on, but learning to fly FPV in two-minute sessions has been frustrating. So I've been looking at other quads... for example, the Blade Torrent 110 is really tempting. But I've been intrigued by the Gremlin since it first came out, and I love to build stuff and support FT whenever possible. I want something I can fly in the house, and it looks like Torrent prop guards can be fitted to the Gremlin with very little modification. So my question is, can the Gremlin be tuned for stability befitting a raw novice? Meaning, is it a good quad for starting with the basics and then building skills?

Thanks!

Gryf

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I've never built a quad before the Gremlin. I've flown planes for YEARS, but never multis. If my experience with my own "Gremsicle" frame is any indication, you should be just fine. :D

Gryf

I've never built a quad before the Gremlin. I've flown planes for YEARS, but never multis. If my experience with my own "Gremsicle" frame is any indication, you should be just fine. :D

Cool, thanks!

Gryf

Edit... I just read through your Gremsicle thread and watched the vids. Wow, what an impressive design! The flight times are amazing. Wish I had a 3d printer. :-(

Gryf

Last edited:

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Helicopter pilots that fly both the real thing and RC will tell you the same thing; flying airplanes first gives you tendencies that are bad habits for helicopters. Quads fly kind of like helicopters so the same applies there. I just ordered my first quad and I've been practicing in the sim to get ready and minimize my crashes, I recommend you do the same.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Anyone can rock a Gremlin if they are set up properly. Outside in the grass crashes are a non issue. I crash mine 20 - 30 times or more pretty hard trying to make it do things like a 5 incher. Unless you drive it straight into a wall or tree full speed you aint doing nothing but bending props. (possibly destroying a CP antenna which by todays standards should not even be on something this small.) I have a harder time keeping the lens in my cameras then frame repairs. Even cranking the lock rings tight they still seem to vibrate loose. As soon as the weather is not cold enough for frost bite warnings I will be headed up to the hardware store for some Teflon tape to cure the lens issues I been having.

I know you are a youngling Gryf so if you have had any time at all on an Xbox you will have zero problems with a Gremlin.