In a Sea of prefab Foamies

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I am on of the last to build and aircraft from scratch.
I can understand why you'd feel that way after visiting some local AMA fields. And building with balsa you're probably one of few. But building with foam board......
Check out the Mad Scratch Builders corner here on the forums. You'll find a bunch of folks here designing and building their own planes - though with a greater need for instant gratification than a balsa builder has. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

quorneng

Master member
If you have the right material you can "build" with foam in just the same way as you can with balsa. It is no quicker to do but if done appropriately it ends up lighter.
A foam built true scale Concord wing.
19Webs.JPG

The finished article with 4x40mm EDFs
Complete.JPG

Just because its made of foam doesn't mean its not been "built".
And It flies.
24Apr14.jpg

Just saying.

ModelManFrank

You must be new here lol
i am still learning how the forum works it is different than the other Forums i belong to. I use Foamboard in some of the balsa builds, like one that i am working called the club cub. Prefab Foamies are the rage and i am not too keen on them i have some used ones but i am learning to live with them. Most of the other aircraft i have are Balsa built.

ModelManFrank

LitterBug

Techno Nut
i did not just come here to promote my videos, i came to learn and read and share some of the beautiful foamboard scratch build with others and show that Building from Plans is not dead like many like to think.
I've acquired a few balsa kits lately, and also have a laser cutter to use for making parts from plans. I will be transitioning over to balsa later this year as I get caught up on my stalled out foamboard builds. I have used the laser cutter to etch foamboard for some of my more recent builds from plans.

Cheers!
LitterBug

IMG_20240229_230006983_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240229_234842211.jpg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
i did not just come here to promote my videos, i came to learn and read and share some of the beautiful foamboard scratch build with others and show that Building from Plans is not dead like many like to think.
Good to see that's your purpose, welcome back!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@ModelManFrank Welcome to the forums!

I see the same trend at my field. It seems about 60-40 pre build heavy. 80-20 arf heavy on the foam end.
I bring my scratch built foamies to my field and often get some Looks, but often time marveling a encouragement.

I build 3-views or scratch, or convert to foam most of the time. I love learning and then testing or pushing what I know, to find out what else I can build.

I built a 9' DTFB Wonder for last FF. As well as a leprechaun from DTFB. @AnD my current build is...a mental musing come to life:
IMG_20240126_005742099.jpg

The industry seems to have found a way to build ARFs I expensively, helping the trend. However, I love the weird birds ... No one makes them as kits so

If you any questions, please just ask. This forum tends to be a supportive space. I look forward to what you build and what we can learn from your builds.

Piotrsko

Master member
The whole point of foamboard is quick easy light very cheap construction that more or less flies well. Emphasis on easy cheap.

Like the ad says: Balsa flies better. They don't mention it takes a long time to build, finish. And a hundred dollar kit can get turned into a balsa baggie faster than you can say "what the heck?"