KitFox Series 7 STi

bf109g-14

This is the first time I've designed a plane - it's almost done now! DON'T do this for landing gear!
IMG_4796.jpg
IMG_4798.jpg

You can see I soldered some brass tubing together to make the frame and all I used for hinges were some paper clips.... sketchy but it seems to hold up alright. Haven't flown it yet, can't wait to try!

OliverW

Legendary member
This is the first time I've designed a plane - it's almost done now! DON'T do this for landing gear! View attachment 180603 View attachment 180604
You can see I soldered some brass tubing together to make the frame and all I used for hinges were some paper clips.... sketchy but it seems to hold up alright. Haven't flown it yet, can't wait to try!
IT LOOKS AMAZING! I refuse to believe that it is your first design

Flyingshark

Master member
This is the first time I've designed a plane - it's almost done now! DON'T do this for landing gear! View attachment 180603 View attachment 180604
That cowling is a work of art! Did you cover up the rear fuse after the first pic, or is it your hatch/access point for the battery?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I will put plans up, but I need to finish the plans for the cowling first. For the bush competition I'm making another one with landing gear that doesn't weigh a ton and using the FT foam board - should save a lot of weight.
Whens the maiden? Gonna get some video?

bf109g-14

Does anybody know a good online place to buy props? I like Hobbyking but the shipping is a lot here. I also looked at Master Airscrew and that seems pretty good. Any suggestions?

Timmy

Legendary member
Its awesome! I like the windshield as well as the cowling.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I like to use Master Airscrew and APC. I have ordered the MAS from FT before, but most of my props come from the Local Hobby Store,

Where do you live?

I live in Canada and it is a decent wait for online deliveries and sometimes they hit you with across the border ransom (goods and services tax) to get the border to release the items. Such a rip off

bf109g-14

I like to use Master Airscrew and APC. I have ordered the MAS from FT before, but most of my props come from the Local Hobby Store,

Where do you live?

I live in Canada and it is a decent wait for online deliveries and sometimes they hit you with across the border ransom (goods and services tax) to get the border to release the items. Such a rip off
In California. I don't have any local hobby shops within a 30min drive radius... kind of in a bad place. Thanks!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Does anybody know a good online place to buy props? I like Hobbyking but the shipping is a lot here. I also looked at Master Airscrew and that seems pretty good. Any suggestions?
I buy APC props from FT store. Since you’re in California shipping should be super fast, as the west coast warehouse is in Cali.

bf109g-14

Maidened yesterday! It flew...
Like I said the landing gear was a bad idea. I have to get some brass rods instead of steel so I can solder it to the landing gear.... rather than using rubber bands :unsure: I had a feeling that wouldn't work....
Anyway I got so tired of having to fix it that I gunned it and it got off the ground.... followed by one wheel falling off and a flight that didn't really qualify as controlled. It came down in one piece if we don't count the wheel. After that I took the gear off and had my brother hand launch it. It worked much better, but I still had a lot of torque issues and it was really pitchy. I'm wondering if the airfoil is too extreme.... it looks like it to me. What do you guys think?
I tried flying again after I broke the first prop, but the only other when I had was a APC 9x4.5 (hence the prop question). I thought it would be fine but it must not have been balanced because at about half throttle it would vibrate and make not-so-happy noises. Anybody have any other ideas of what it could be?
Also I should put the motor in at an angle to counteract the torque. Does anybody have a good angle to do that with? Never done this before...
I will have videos up hopefully later today... may have missed the takeoff because I didn't say anything to my siblings before I gunned it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Maidened yesterday! It flew...
Like I said the landing gear was a bad idea. I have to get some brass rods instead of steel so I can solder it to the landing gear.... rather than using rubber bands :unsure: I had a feeling that wouldn't work....
Anyway I got so tired of having to fix it that I gunned it and it got off the ground.... followed by one wheel falling off and a flight that didn't really qualify as controlled. It came down in one piece if we don't count the wheel. After that I took the gear off and had my brother hand launch it. It worked much better, but I still had a lot of torque issues and it was really pitchy. I'm wondering if the airfoil is too extreme.... it looks like it to me. What do you guys think?
I tried flying again after I broke the first prop, but the only other when I had was a APC 9x4.5 (hence the prop question). I thought it would be fine but it must not have been balanced because at about half throttle it would vibrate and make not-so-happy noises. Anybody have any other ideas of what it could be?
Also I should put the motor in at an angle to counteract the torque. Does anybody have a good angle to do that with? Never done this before...
I will have videos up hopefully later today... may have missed the takeoff because I didn't say anything to my siblings before I gunned it.
Sounds like you need several degrees of right thrust angle. You can achieve that by adding a washer or two (maybe several depending on how thick they are) to the back of the left side of the motor. Also, check your motor mount, because if it got lose in the other crash, that would explain all the vibrations.