Help! KV questions for my drone

RossFPV

Ok so i have a off brand mini fpv drone its the makerfire shark (it was all i could afford) and i think its time to upgrade it. I want it to be faster/more power and not lower the battery life. It has 17000kv 6mm motors. Any advise on what kv?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Faster/more power and not lower the battery life do not go well together. Pick one or the other. That said, you can use more efficient props and/or use slightly larger batteries. My go-to 6mm motors have been the NewBeeDrone Gold motors. https://newbeedrone.com/products/bee-dynamic-rotor-gold-edition-6x15mm-brushed-motor-set

I have been fly 3-blade 31mm props. Lower rotating mass, and more efficient than the stock 4 blade props.

I run 220mah 1S batteries.

LB

RossFPV

Sorry i just check and i have 15000kv motors but i have an idea. What if i get 17000kv motors with 3-blade props?
Will that give more power and better battery life?

quorneng

Master member
More power and longer battery life simply do not go together unless you can significantly improve the system efficiency.
You can't really alter the electrical efficiency of a motor but you can improve prop efficiency. The usual route is less blades, larger diameter and slower rpm which in turn means lower kV motors.
Otherwise more power means a shorter battery duration and in direct proportion or worse!
It will come down to a best compromise that suits you.

Corsair714

Faster/more power and not lower the battery life do not go well together. Pick one or the other. That said, you can use more efficient props and/or use slightly larger batteries. My go-to 6mm motors have been the NewBeeDrone Gold motors. https://newbeedrone.com/products/bee-dynamic-rotor-gold-edition-6x15mm-brushed-motor-set

I have been fly 3-blade 31mm props. Lower rotating mass, and more efficient than the stock 4 blade props.

I run 220mah 1S batteries.

LB
I run the Newbeedrone gold motors as well and they work very well.

Corsair714

Sorry i just check and i have 15000kv motors but i have an idea. What if i get 17000kv motors with 3-blade props?
Will that give more power and better battery life?
I replied to another thread you started and linked a video about a fast efficent tiny whoop. It would require some skill to build though. The way the guy manages to get speed as well as efficency and longer flight times is he is using larger propers which by nature are more efficent. As quorneng just said.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This is the kind of performance and flight time I get out of the gold motors with three bladed props when just cruising around. (aka no punchouts)