Laines Planes 26" Balsa Cuda Build Thread

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So I still need to get the maiden video processed, but let's do a bit of a flight report of the last two weeks.

I did the maiden flight Saturday the 14th, and it's a good thing I had brown pants on. :eek: I could control it - but just barely. She screamed all over the sky and I was playing catch up, about two moves behind her at every step. And on landing, she came in wings level but as soon as it touched grass she immediately started cartwheeling. One control rod got bent, but no other damage to the plane. That was my last charged battery for the day so I counted myself very lucky to get her down, and figured I just wasn't a capable enough pilot for a fast plane like this. :(

I just didn't want to be responsible for turning her into a pile of sticks, and figured someone else could fly her better. So I decided to take her to the RC auction next Saturday morning. And while lots of people at the auction admired how she looked, the price it was about to sell for was a insulting. So I bid over them and took her back home myself.

"Self," I said, "you're going to need to learn how to fly her, so get to it." So I packed her up and went to the field Saturday afternoon with my EPP Cuda and a couple other planes.

It was a beautiful day with very calm air, and the EPP Cuda was just ripping across the sky going exactly where I pointed her - I was even having fun doing Laine's 'roll speed test' of full throttle vertical and full aileron deflection, and trying to get it to do a hammer head turn (which is not easy without a rudder). When it was time to put the Balsa Cuda up, I had just finished talking to a noob flyer about the effects of nose heavy vs tail heavy and I thought to check my CG again.

And with the 3s2200 battery in jammed all the way forward in the nose, she was tail heavy. :confused: And then the clues added up for how it behaved on the maiden flight. And I started to have hope. :)

I ended up putting 1/2oz of lead weights in the nose to get a slightly nose down CG where the leading edge of the wing meets the fuselage. And it was like flying a whole different aircraft! She felt locked in - didn't flop all over the place on takeoff, and with a couple clicks of down trim she ripped across the field on a low pass, hands off! Vertical climb is unlimited, and the roll rate is just nuts - but when I stop flopping the stick around, she stays pointed right where I left her and I'm not chasing her all over the sky anymore. :applause: I haven't had the cajones to try high rates, but I am having a great time with her now!

The only thing I still need to address is landing. My EPP Cuda comes in wings level, touches grass, and slides along for 20 or 30 feet pretty as you please. The Balsa Cuda comes in wings level, touches grass, and immediately transitions to a cartwheel. One clue I have as to what's going wrong is the battery has come loose and it flopping around inside when I pick it up. And because the battery is so far forward to make the CG work, I only have 1 strap holding onto it at the back of the battery. My hypothesis is when it first touches down on landing, the battery gets jerked forward, and since the battery cables stick out the side of the battery it jerks some side forces in when the battery moves, which throws the plane into wacky cartwheels. So I'm going to build a foam battery holder case that fits into the nose and prevents the battery from having anywhere to move, forward, backward, or sideways, and see if this solves the problem.

And now I want to buy a Night Cuda to try the 35" wingspan one out :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Good job on not getting rid of it! :)

Yeah, she really spooked me on the first flight and I was ready to give up on her - but she came back home and I'm very glad she did :)

Let this be a lesson to anyone else who tries to fly a plane and think's it is beyond their ability. Take a deep breath and look everything over again a couple days later. Could be as simple a problem as not being balanced right.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Shewt... you guys gotta get your CG meters calibrated more often ;) My bigger one flew fine the first time but I took extra care to make sure the CG was DEAD ON. The 2mm of up on each elevon makes a WORLD of difference for take off and landing. Really makes everything easier. Very glad to see you have this one in the air now.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yeah, who knew that balance stuff would actually matter :p

I pulled a chunk of green foam out of the trash bucket and made a nice snug cradle that keeps it in the right place now.

2017-10-23 23.58.55.jpg

Hopefully testing again next weekend :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Flight report: I've got about a dozen good flights on her now including 4 last weekend where she's landing just fine. I waxed the bottom fuselage covering and that seemed to help a lot with letting her skid rather than dig in and flip.

I love that she's loud and proud screaming across the skies - always turns heads and never fails to have people come ask me about it after a flight. :D

I've only flown on the 3s2200 batteries so far, but I do have a 4s1800 that will fit and I'll toss in there some day. And if I do auger her in when that happens, I'll be buying another kit to replace it - probably the night version with the extra cut outs for LEDs.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I fly mine on 2200 4S... louder than some of the 50cc gassers at my club. Super fun airplane for sure.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Well... it happened this summer. On July 11th, I augered her in! :cry:

Actually, it wasn't a full on dirt nap, but I was landing in a gusty cross wind and ran out of energy, airspeed, and wind all at the same time - about 15 feet over the runway. I punched the throttle to try and get the control surface to bite and get some lift again, but instead of going faster parallel to the runway, she went faster into the runway instead - nose first and tumbled a good bit. At the time it just made me sad to look at, and figured I would just need to rebuild the fuselage so I ordered one of those when I got home and just put all the parts up on a shelf to sit for a while.

Forward a couple months and I decided to pull her down and see what the extent of the damage really was. And it's in better shape than I thought! The side of the fuselage where the wing tore out looks pretty messy...

IMG_20191030_213717-1024x768.jpg

... and the nose is a nice rumpled mess...

IMG_20191030_213729-1024x768.jpg

... and the hinges popped out of one wing - both elevon and wing sides!
IMG_20191030_213702-1024x768.jpg

But that's about it! So let's get to the repairs!

First I drilled holes through each hinge on both wings, squirted some CA in the holes, and pinned them with toothpicks. It will leave little holes in the covering I need to patch, but I really don't want these coming loose in flight.

IMG_20191030_214610-1024x768.jpg

And since she took a good tumble, I took some time testing the servos out to make sure the gears didn't take any damage. No chattering though the full movement range, so I'm going to send them back up in the air again.

IMG_20191030_221932-1024x768.jpg

Then I cut off the nose to see the extent of the crushing.

IMG_20191030_215629-1024x768.jpg

The sides survived just fine - a great design let the front balsa nose squish and protect the body! So I glued on a new nose piece that I can carve down into shape later.

IMG_20191030_220900-1024x768.jpg

And for the fuselage side, I peeled the covering off, pushed pieces back into place, and slathered on the epoxy and clamped it up for the night.
IMG_20191030_220000-1024x768.jpg

I'm also going to take this opportunity to upgrade the motor on this one. My foamy Cuda has a lot more speed - which is a lot more fun! So I'm taking off the 292 watts of Power-Up 400 motor that is only 3s capable, and installing a Cobra 2217/7 2500kv motor that is 4s capable - puts out 350 watts on 3s or up to a blistering 580 watts on 4s! That should boost the top speed by more than a little bit! :D

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ugh that sucks. But then again, new cuda time??

I'll have this one ready to get back in the air with just a couple more hours of work - not as big of a deal as I was afraid of when it hit the ground.

But since I did order another Cuda fuselage kit in my time of grief all I need is another set of wings to have Cuda #3 in the hangar... :unsure:

man-bot

I need to stop talking to you Jon. My speed addiction is rubbing off on you. Isnt this like the 3rd or 4th thread this year of you upping motors to go even faster:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Guess you were right when you called me a filthy enabler:p

My idea would be more along the lines of.. I know this flys well... lets skip the baby steps and go straight for the new Flite Test Monster motor.

Nice repairs. It amazes me when I see you guys bending wood like its hot metal or melting plastic with that ammonia and water thing.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys - and yeah, some planes are just meant to scoot. This is certainly one of those planes :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Busy weekend - but not with RC stuff :cautious:

The SkyPower ESC I had wouldn't work right with the new Cobra motor. No matter how I tried to reprogram the timing, it would stutter and randomly stop. Same ESC works fine on other motors, and I found other brand ESC's would work on the Cobra motor. They just don't like each other. :unsure:

So I upgraded a bit - Castle 80 amp ESC installed - motor should peak around 45-48amps so plenty of headroom that will help it stay cool in the enclosed fuselage.

IMG_20191103_214122-1024x768.jpg

Gluing continues on the nose (no picture yet) and covering patches applied to the wings where I pinned the hinges and the fuselage side where she had her guts ripped out. Funny trick of the light makes it look like a tear still on the bottom right side - it's not, and that little unevenness is under the wing so not an eyesore.

IMG_20191103_214107-1024x768.jpg

The goal is to get her back in the air and fly her hard and fast now that she has a couple boo-boos and there is no pristine covering job to protect. :D

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wings back on and the fuselage repair looks almost perfect. In this shot you can see the led from the receiver inside a little :D

When I was hooking things back up and was moving the controls around, I noticed the servo on the wing that tore out was a little intermittent. That's not good at all. So I started pulling and wiggling cables and discovered a break in the wire from the servo - when the wing tore off it stressed the wires to the point that the wire strands inside the insulation started to pull apart, even though it looked fine to a casual visual inspection. So with a couple minutes of snipping and crimping, I put a new lead on the servo and it's working reliably now.

Just waiting on the glue to dry on bottom balsa nose sheeting to finish up the covering repairs.

IMG_20191104_173021-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks! Here she is all put back together now...

IMG_20191104_224157-1024x768.jpg

And the bottom... the new white is from a different roll and has fewer grass stains - I'm sure it'll match closer after a few flying sessions :D
IMG_20191104_224217-1024x768.jpg

Just need to balance her out again - the new motor is a lot heavier than the old one, but on the other end the old bulkhead that kept the battery from going all the way into the nose is gone now too so it might all balance out fine :D

OliverW

Legendary member
Did you ever to getting her back up into the air? The kit for one showed up on my doorstep a couple days ago..