Light Weight Covering, Solite Alternates

jsknockoff

Mentor
Anyone out there have any good experiences with lighter than Monocote covering film? I liked Solite for application but didn’t particularly care for how transparent the opaque colors are. I’m looking for something to use on the Cub I’m building for the Fall Build.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Somewhere I remember reading that some people paint the balsa before covering with SoLite, just so the balsa isn't quite so obvious. Personally, the slight transparency in it doesn't bother me much.

The ultracote Parklite is pretty good. I don't think it sticks to itself nearly as bad as some of the other lite weight covering. The opacity isn't great on the white.... It's not bad, for lite stuff, but it's not like Ekonokote or Monokote. It also shrinks a little harder than some of the others. I broke some ribs and stringers on my Dumas Birddog when I shrunk with the heat gun.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Did a little reading about the parklite, like anything some love it some hate it. I think I may just go with monocote on the Cub. It’s designed for glow so it’s build a little heavy and honestly I don’t mind the added weight from the covering I think it will be minimal in the big picture. I do think I will try the parklite on a Dumas Taylorcraft kit that I have.

There's not quite the color selection, but Ekonokote is a great option. I think it goes on a little easier than Monokote. I have had an easier time with Ekonokote. There is a caveat... It doesn't tolerate gasoline very well. I have seen it sag and lose its ability to shrink when subjected to gasoline engine exhaust. It does fine with glow fuel, but not so well with gas. If you're going electric, then no worries at all.