LOCKHEED S-3 VIKING

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
WAHOO!!! Wrist Rockets!!!

Those were always a blast to see getting tossed in the air by Nimitz Catapults. One of my favorites of carrier based aircraft.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Reminds me of back in the day we had an S-3 in the hangar for quite some time with a big hole where a flight station window used to be. As the story went, one of those up front pulled the eject and ejected. The remaining pilot then landed the plane minus one crew member.

Could you imagine the explosive departure and change in plans?

I wish you well with the build. Keep us posted.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I once ejected the windows on a UH-60 BlackHawk while the copter was hovering about 2 ft off the ground. Boy was the crew chief POd. I never heard the end of it.

I'll bet the guy who ejected from the plane had a long walk, a tall story and got razzed for years.

Love the moniker fishingbeast01. Please post a photo or video of the maiden once its built if you can.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Reminds me of back in the day we had an S-3 in the hangar for quite some time with a big hole where a flight station window used to be. As the story went, one of those up front pulled the eject and ejected. The remaining pilot then landed the plane minus one crew member.

Could you imagine the explosive departure and change in plans?

I wish you well with the build. Keep us posted.

Oh I am sure the guy that punched out remembers it. From all the stories I have heard when pilots have to do that a good percentage of them lose or damage teeth not to mention (having compression issues on my back) the pain of the G forces on your body specifically the back and neck.

I still would love to see an RC version of an S-3. Complete with fully functioning "stinger". Ill bet one with EDF's would be crazy fast and a handful to fly as stubby as they are.

doc_mat

WAHOO!!! Wrist Rockets!!!

Those were always a blast to see getting tossed in the air by Nimitz Catapults. One of my favorites of carrier based aircraft.

I worked on E-2c Hawkeyes. We used to call S-3's "Hoovers"... We thought they sounded like vacuum cleaners. lol

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
yeah Hoovers were common name. I remember wrist rockets as it was either a squadron insignia or a painting in one of the ready rooms that had an S-3 getting launched from a carrier with a sling shot. When the Nimitz was in dry dock that was one of my TAD divisions base for muster and duty assignments. Not to mention a really good place for a nap on slow night shift details hehe.

doc_mat

Being with a squadron, I never got a chance to enjoy dry dock... But on the off years we weren't at sea, we'd hit up Roosevelt Roads, PR and Fallon, NV.

doc_mat

Be interesting to see if someone does scratch build one... Wonder what you'd have to use for motors to get that signature look of a Viking?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
met a viking pilot. then looked it up. by his acct. it was hid favorite plane to pilot. now I have some ideas.