McDonnell XP-67 "Moonbat"

leaded50

Legendary member
not a great picture who shows the nuances in colors... its more or less shadowed with silver the hole bottom of the plane, with some visual "points" to easier see direction in flying.

DSC_0881.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
Scale props, scale flaps, retracts, and the "No way....that's foam board!?'" comments that I am sure U will get @ the field. Too cool .:cool:(y)
it should been some 4blade props... but havent found the ones i need. 8x 4-6" 4 blade prop also as CW/CCW is hard...
Retracts (electric servoless) get easy in place, if have reinforced the space for them.
The flaps here.. well could been done in epoxy reinforced foamboard.... for "easyness" i used that "plastic thing" i had, then no reinforcing was needed. :sneaky:
For sure, i expect to receive such comments ;)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Would you take some pictures of the Flap mechanism you ended with, and the gear doors. you indicated it was a lot of trial and error, but it struck me as good to see what you settled on. or some details on the canopy?
Thanks.

I cannot wait to see this in the air.

leaded50

Legendary member
Would you take some pictures of the Flap mechanism you ended with, and the gear doors. you indicated it was a lot of trial and error, but it struck me as good to see what you settled on. or some details on the canopy?
Thanks.

i will. The flaps is ok and working... the rear geardoors i have some problems with, started change mechanism to get it better functional

FoamyDM

I tried many things along the way Gear always trip me up. I want them to work and have doors and steer and.... we I will just settle for gear right now.

leaded50

Legendary member
DSC_0877.JPG
DSC_0879.JPG
DSC_0878.JPG
DSC_0880.JPG

the pictures, and light at moment doesnt show good enough paint. Main color is Antrasit grey, with silver fogging at bottom, and minor light "brownish" fogging at top. It shows better at angle , where gives a feeling of changing color hue..... Im satisfyed with the paint and build! :)

Minor "deflection" happend in some of the panels who was shaped both ways (dome - styled) it changed a bit back , and shows up a little close to the main spars.. its not much though... perhaps woudnt happend if even some formers more.
Weight though, would sacrifice by used more materials. its fully 1950grams with a 4000 mAh battery.....

The dual ZTW 2212 motors did gave enough punch though. total checked thrust at 2270g

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
View attachment 202013 View attachment 202014 View attachment 202015 View attachment 202016

the pictures, and light at moment doesnt show good enough paint. Main color is Antrasit grey, with silver fogging at bottom, and minor light "brownish" fogging at top. It shows better at angle , where gives a feeling of changing color hue..... Im satisfyed with the paint and build! :)

Minor "deflection" happend in some of the panels who was shaped both ways (dome - styled) it changed a bit back , and shows up a little close to the main spars.. its not much though... perhaps woudnt happend if even some formers more.
Weight though, would sacrifice by used more materials. its fully 1950grams with a 4000 mAh battery.....
magnificent :love::love::love::love:

leaded50

Legendary member
Thanks.

here you see flaps function. Its a servo down into fuselage that actuate a pushrod to the flap/airbrake.

Also retracts , and retract door function / setup. A spring from a writing pen adjusted to get the correct tension. Fastned in the door and to a screw on the retract leg. I tried get the function with mechanical rods, but either it slided on the wheel, loosing good enough movement, or retractdoor get stuck too the wheel shutting it from ended fully, if used mechanical rod father rearward to the retract leg.
The spring system was best function on. And as long the ends are closed, so cant "jump off" its nice.

Front retract steering, is by "push-pull" system with pushrods.
Well video got a small "coffebrake" in middle, needed change battery with enough voltage :LOL:

here is also pictures of the steering system. When retract is closed, the pushrods disengage at the servohorns, "pushes" more back, and stoppers is not in contact with the servohorn. When retract is lowered, pushrods goes forward and engange the servohorns because the stoppers.
DSC_0887.JPG

Last edited:

FoamyDM

here you see flaps function. Its a servo down into fuselage that actuate a pushrod to the flap/airbrake.

Also retracts , and retract door function / setup. A spring from a writing pen adjusted to get the correct tension. Fastned in the door and to a screw on the retract leg. I tried get the function with mechanical rods, but either it slided on the wheel, loosing good enough movement, or retractdoor get stuck too the wheel shutting it from ended fully, if used mechanical rod father rearward to the retract leg.
The spring system was best function on. And as long the ends are closed, so cant "jump off" its nice.

Front retract steering, is by "push-pull" system with pushrods.
Well video got a small "coffebrake" in middle, needed change battery with enough voltage :LOL:

here is also pictures of the steering system. When retract is closed, the pushrods disengage at the servohorns, "pushes" more back, and stoppers is not in contact with the servohorn. When retract is lowered, pushrods goes forward and engange the servohorns because the stoppers.
View attachment 202018
Thank you VERY much. so the Rod with the stopper is held to the servo with a u-guide on each servo arm. then rod then extend back into the fuse, when the gear is retracted but when extended it stopper hits the arm and it is a pull-pull system connected to the collar for steering.... The Video and pictures are great!

This plane is great. do you feel it is read for a maiden flight?

leaded50

Legendary member
Thank you VERY much. so the Rod with the stopper is held to the servo with a u-guide on each servo arm. then rod then extend back into the fuse, when the gear is retracted but when extended it stopper hits the arm and it is a pull-pull system connected to the collar for steering.... The Video and pictures are great!

This plane is great. do you feel it is read for a maiden flight?

Correct on functionality :)
Unsure when can do the maiden.... will try use some days to adjust stuff approx, and test it on ground first. All is dependable on what shape im in. Reason for building this now, was because i got "stuck" again on needed medicines, and then had times between pain attacks to do something.
Thanks for preciation of the build !