Metamorphis of my tailless "Flying Wings"

L Edge

Master member
Since the weather is getting colder and lots of wind, decided to "go to my flying wings collection I designed". Using my copyrighted stabilizer, I now have removed the need for fixed rudder or any vertical surface for the flying wing. No twist of wing is needed and now allows me to use either prop of EDF to power the wing. Advantages of these wings it can be flown in a tight area, launched by releasing from your hand, and is stable flying slow or fast and best of all, can handle the high gusty winds without any damage to the wing. You should try it with a field completely surrounded by 100+ ft trees and gusty 15+ winds.

History:
Al my designed wings are flat plates using my designed stabilizer and I was looking for what happens when mounted on a wing. Besides changing the flow over the wing and using end plates, it flew like a dream. Then added my designed udder rudder(servo controlled) which allows you to handle crosswinds on landing as well is in flight making sharp turns. So can we fly it without endplates? If you look close, the "udder rudder" is the white trianglish piece sitting just ahead of the prop and is rotated just like the real rudder.

Metamorphis.JPG

Elation.JPG

Round 2:
New wing, removed "udder rudder" and endplates, and added an overhang(making turns) for the stabilizer. Overtime, analyzed the stabilizer (used tufts and it obviously change the flow pattern across the wing) where it brings stability and changes L/D. Changes the CG as well as improving flight times. I use an APC 8 x3/8 prop and use a 1300 mah 3S battery and weighs in at 331.2 grams with no airfoil at all. Only bad feature is you grab the area between the prop and elevon (3 inches) to launch. So who else has no rudder and vertical stabs to fly in gusty conditions?

So, question now is, Can I adapt the flying wing and my new tool "Stabilizer" to a cheap 5 bladed 64mm EDF and get it to fly? Used my knowledge of 64 EDF's from the past Sr-71 and Warthog flights, took 3 flights to get it right. By the way, exhaust tube is not needed and keep the weight to 383.9 grams to fly.

Now to shock you, I charge my batteries only to 95 % charge(ThunderPower charger) and took this 1300 mah 3S battery for a 10+ minute flight . Grant it, it lacks rudder and verts,(NASA says it reduces up to 20 % drag when rudder and verts disappear) but how do you get it to fly that long?
My long and boring video is backing my claim that new tool changes the characteristics of air flow across the wing and its flight environment especially in windy conditions.

IMHO, other "flying wings" require a 4 or 5 level pilot to skillfully maneuver a wing around in all conditions. With the first setup, I believe a level 3 pilot could handle this.

Other plane using stabilizer:
Trees are 100+ high, back about 125 ft, using the "stabilizer", you create a STOL plane where short takeoffs are a breeze and spot landings just jockey the elevator (added rudder to do spot landings). Would beat Josh any day when he tried hitting the white circle with his airplane.
This was maiden flight and see what happens. Practice and you will "X" the spot in no time in front of you.

to drop steeper-pull the elevator back,
to go forward -less elevator
tells you when you are about to stall out.
You fly it like doing an autorotation of a helicopter.

Please shut off sound,

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
Sorry I missed this the first time. It’s hard for me to determine from the pics what you are doing to eliminate vertical surfaces. Would you talk about it a little bit more. @L Edge

L Edge

Master member
Exploring NACA data base, I came across a device that stabilized an actual flying plane in a wind tunnel. Explore the idea on a flat plate and the result is it is really a new "tool" to get higher AOA and allows for better stability in gusty conditions. On a flat plate wing, the airflow eliminates the need of any vertical stabs or rudder. Found the overhang of the stabilizer improves the tightness of a turn. Another feature I enjoy is that I don't have to sling it, just release it from my hand and have even can launch it downwind!!!

64 EDF.JPG

So, the orange device is the new tool and by the way, I don't need any reflex to make it go.

I am exploring the FT EZ Pack and trying to adapt the flying wing to it. Here is a video at my first attempt to find the range of CG. The transmitter has only a throttle and differential throttle setup(rudder) and I already having it turning. Need to tinker more with it. Can your wing fly that slow?

There is more than one way to skin a cat. How about a flying wing(X-47 B) run by 2 servos and a offset thrust vector unit that is hooked to the same servos. Again no vertical components or gyro needed. Still fly it.