Mobius Cam Battery Failure?

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I gladly received a mobius actioncam (lens B) for christmas, and have been using it frequently ever since. However, I have hit a major roadblock. Here is the basic condition of the camera:

*internal battery not holding charge/camera not correctly reading voltage, shutting off.
*camera functions as normal (very well) when connected to an external supply.
*problem first started about a day before/after/during using camera at ski slope (cold).
*camera will record for about 4 seconds before red LED starts flashing, shuts off after additional 5 sec.

Any ideas? Also, has anyone else noticed that the battery lead is REVERSED from that or "hobby grade" micro batteries?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yes, the mobius lipo is wired in reverse because they have overcharge protection circuitry attached to that battery:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

I think you're seeing what I see when using the Mobius in cold weather. If I'm going to using it in the cold, I first turn it on indoors, and start recording so it's doing something. Put it in a pocket or in my hands, then bring it outside. I'll stop recording, and restart once I'm ready to record whatever it is I'm about to record outside.

I know people have also put foam around it to insulate it.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
That seems like a good workaround when recording outside, but the problem persists even in warm weather, though.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Update: I had a chance to reloaded firmware to v2.25, but this doesn't fix anything. What if I were to sacrifice a micro lipo and reverse the leads and plug it into the Mobius? Then I could see if it was indeed the lipo, or the camera that is broken.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Update: I tried recording after leaving it to charge overnight. It went for a couple seconds and then the blue LED blinked once, and the camera turned off, then came back on in normal standby mode. What could have caused this "reboot"? Is this more evidence towards a battery that has a voltage drop when amperage is drawn? (that would make sense)

rcflyer729

fpv and rc planes
my mobius will not charge unless i have it plugged into a phone charger try that also for filming on a multirotor or plane u can get a power adapter that enables you to power your mobius on the go with your flight batter i can give u the link to it if u want

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Never mind everything..
I was looking at the battery in the case, and I pull it up off the sticky tape, and I see there is a HUGE gouge in the back of the battery where it was invisible before. Looking at the battery once its out of the case, I could see that it was like twice the thickness and puffy but not bent on the surface, which is why I never suspected anything.

:)