NanoPhan - Thrust Vectoring Nano Single Copter

VAALLEON

I had some electric problems with Nano. Towards the end of every flight, the flight controller shut down and I had some rough landings. So, I doubled the UBECs, increasing the power to 6amps but at the end of the first flight in the attached video, the unit shut down again and crashed. The new fan is amazingly powerful but pulls more amps and I think it towards the end of the flights it has been causing the voltage drop to a level that the FC had to shut down. Fortunately, didn’t have a significant damage. This time I changed tactics and added a tiny 2s lipo to the equation, powering the servos and the cam, and took out the second UBEC.

Bingo! I was able to use the last drop of juice in that battery in the second flight. With only one problem. At the beginning of the flight the new added battery came off after takeoff, hanging down from the unit. Amazingly, the unit balanced itself and I was able to land it to get ready for the last glorious flight:)

This unit is amazingly well balanced and flies very well… Fun stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls5gil43tMc&feature=youtu.be

VAALLEON

The new carbon Nano in the making

Attachments

• CarbonNano.jpg
    CarbonNano.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmmm... Gives me an idea for the 64mm EDF I have in my box of parts. :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: What did you start with for plans? Do you have any detailed drawings?

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ohh that carbon with the blue aluminum looks sexeh. You planning on the new one being all carbon for strength and weight savings?

LB do a search on Vaalleon's started threads he has several threads on this project. I have been following it since I stumbled across it over a year ago now I think. He has made amazing progress with this project. This is really a cool air frame that I hope in time goes public so he can reap some rewards for all the effort.

VAALLEON

Hmmmm... Gives me an idea for the 64mm EDF I have in my box of parts. :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: What did you start with for plans? Do you have any detailed drawings?

All plans are in my head... Not the most scientific way but I am having fun:) cheers bud

VAALLEON

Ohh that carbon with the blue aluminum looks sexeh. You planning on the new one being all carbon for strength and weight savings?

LB do a search on Vaalleon's started threads he has several threads on this project. I have been following it since I stumbled across it over a year ago now I think. He has made amazing progress with this project. This is really a cool air frame that I hope in time goes public so he can reap some rewards for all the effort.

Thank you sir! Maybe one day it may go commercial:) Who knows?

The carbon frame is for an indestructible unit. Carbon tube with carbon wings. I am using a new tiny flight controller which will be positioned vertically and and nothing will stick out. And a superlight full range RX. I will also install a tiny WIFI FPV cam that I ordered a couple of days ago. This will be the smallest unit so far, 35mm fan.

So, unless someone steps on it, it will not break, no matter how far it drops... Hopefully:)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
na na na na nah nah nunna nunna nunna nunna BATPHAN!!!!

That looks awesome mate. Paint the edges red like I did on my quad and it will match my "Batflowbile"

VAALLEON

haha, thansk bud! you know what, I seriously didn't intend to make it look like bat, but it did:) That red edge is a super idea... will do that. Gotta fly it first though. I am having a little trouble understanding this new FC...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The Red on the carbon really stands out. You could also do the same with Gold and it would pop too.

Left side 3.jpg

Front 2.jpg

Right side 2.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Standard issue testes fire engine red model paint, a fine brush, my granny glasses and very shaky hands. :D

BTW it is far easier to do BEFORE all the external stuff is put on which is why I asked it you were going to paint it at all and maybe save you some agitation trying bob and weave a paint brush between electronic and mechanical parts.

VAALLEON

Standard issue testes fire engine red model paint, a fine brush, my granny glasses and very shaky hands. :D

BTW it is far easier to do BEFORE all the external stuff is put on which is why I asked it you were going to paint it at all and maybe save you some agitation trying bob and weave a paint brush between electronic and mechanical parts.

Haha, my hands used to be as steady as a rock, good old days... reading glasses come handy too these days:) Thanks bud, I'll use masking tape and paint only the tips of the wings with brush... Thanks for the tips.

VAALLEON

didn't even properly test the unit yet but couldn't resist the temptation of "red on carbon"... Santa called me crazy for being up at 1 am working on this this! hohoho:)

Attachments

• IMG_5907.JPG
    IMG_5907.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

VAALLEON

The outdoors maiden flight wasn’t a disaster but proved that I need to make aerodynamic and weight distribution adjustments. There is a little bit of head wind and it didn’t beat the wind. However, the new flight controller showed potential, which will make smaller units possible.

Also, no visible damage after that rough landing. Carbon fiber is doing its job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-n6BWKOeo

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Man if you can scale that down just a touch more and add fpv gear that could be serious competition to the tiny whoops. I think I would have to build one to fly in my apartment during bad weather. Besides the cool factor on that is far above the tiny whoops.

VAALLEON

Man if you can scale that down just a touch more and add fpv gear that could be serious competition to the tiny whoops. I think I would have to build one to fly in my apartment during bad weather. Besides the cool factor on that is far above the tiny whoops.

Hey, thank you for the coloring tips man! It looks amazing with red. I used some of the covering film that I had, still looks great. Yes, I agree with you, I am trying to go smaller. If I can achieve success with this 35mm, a super light 30mm is on the way. I ordered a tiny cam thinking it was wifi capable but it wasn't! Be very careful f you buy anything in aliexpress false advertising is the norm on there... Anyway, will make them FPV capable. I have no idea in which areas they would be most useful but I guess if I can get them tiny enough, they may be more desirable as you mentioned.

However, the smaller you get the harder to fly them... It is very challenging to step down to a smaller fan. Which means: go for it! haha

VAALLEON

Getting better. First full flight without crash.... By the way I never had to fix the unit by the result of any crashes!!! After the flight the batteries balanced at 560MAH. However, they should hold 900MAH but they are old. This puts the theoretical flight time at over 3minutes, which is pretty good for this size and considering the carbon armor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDjw6UQwpz4&feature=youtu.be

VAALLEON

20170109_182438.jpg 20170109_182504.jpg 20170109_182532.jpg 20170109_182654.jpg

I did many flight tests with the indestructible Nano this past week, most of which ended in a crash. In the end, most of the design and flight controller issues were sorted out and the unit was domesticated, being very close to being a real Mono with very good stability and ability to reach high speeds. However, I need to change the wing design to reflect the things learned and make the unit even more durable and faster.

Before I replace the old wings, I wanted to give the condition of the unit after probably 30ish crashes, some as high as 100ft. I even hit a tree once! One crash was on the concrete and others were on grass. I never lost a servo neither an impeller, which is AMAZING! One leg was broken and fixed (which will cause a design improvement), one power cable snapped and was soldered back.

See Pics attached.

I am happy that I am almost there for the first amazingly fast and agile indestructible Mono…