Naze32 Rev6 and Lemon RX binding problem

slipshot

Greetings all,

Virgin quad builder that's run into a problem binding my Lemon RX to my Spektrum DX7s. Got the quad built and powered up without letting any magic white smoke out. (Score!) However, I can't seem to get the Lemon RX into bind mode. After scouring the internet and following the instructions I located, I'm beginning to wonder if it's a wiring problem. My particular LemonRX came with three black wires; no color coding whatsoever. So I have no clue what's power, signal or ground. I decided to pickup a small 1.5mm female molex figuring that would alleviate my issue. I'm not so sure I didn't wire it in backwards though.

I'm using cleanflight to configure things and did the following:

Connected the Naze32 via USB to the board and it powered up no problem

In the ports tab, choose UART2 : enabled RX = Serial RX

In the receiver tab, I selected "Enable Serial-based receiver" and Serial receiver and selected the SPEKTRM2048 for DSMX

Typed the following into the CLI "set spektrum_sat_bind = 9" then typed "save" and watched it reboot.

After disconnecting power from the naze and plugging in a battery, I get bumpkis for lights on the Lemon RX. I mean nada............but no smoke either. If I wired it in backwards, wouldn't I smoke it? Or is the positive on the receiver also in the middle? I'm just not sure the molex connector is oriented correctly.

Any thought's or insights would be greatly appreciated! Apologies for the long post. Here are a couple pics for reference:

IMG_1.jpg IMG_2.jpg IMG_3.jpg

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Since that's a satellite RX, those connectors are keyed so that the connector should only plug in with the correct orientation, but I suppose one could always force anything to fit.

The pins should be closer to one end of the plugs vs the other, and there should be little plastic guides and channels that indicate which way to plug in the connectors into the ports.

It sounds like your bind procedure was incomplete based on what I can tell... unless you didn't document / describe in detail all your actions.

Once you issue the set spektrum bind command and saved, and rebooted, you didn't describe your bind activity itself.

It should be along the lines of:

* After reboot, power down naze/FC and repower it up, that should set the satellite in bind mode if the reboot didn't.
* Power up TX with BIND button held down and release when the satellite RX LED changes state (goes to solid from blink?) to indicate bind.
* Verify controls in CF with RC / remote tab.
* Issue new spektrum_sat_bind=0 to disable bind (don't want to have to rebind constantly, right?) and reboot.
* Power cycle everything to check.

slipshot

It should be along the lines of:

* After reboot, power down naze/FC and repower it up, that should set the satellite in bind mode if the reboot didn't.
* Power up TX with BIND button held down and release when the satellite RX LED changes state (goes to solid from blink?) to indicate bind.
* Verify controls in CF with RC / remote tab.
* Issue new spektrum_sat_bind=0 to disable bind (don't want to have to rebind constantly, right?) and reboot.
* Power cycle everything to check.

Mak,

I greatly appreciate the reply and the insight!

That seems to be my problem though. Every other video I've seen shows that the Lemon RX has an LED that blinks when it is in bind mode. I can't seem to get to that stage. Once I place it in bind mode via cleanflight, let it reboot and then power cycle it, the LemonRX does nothing. No blinking lights etc......is there anyway to determine if it is communicating with cleanflight in the bind mode? Verbose output somewhere in the cleanflight configurator?

I get what you were saying about the molex notches, but what I was thinking was that I soldered it to the board upside down. After looking at the right angle connectors (I should have bought) and comparing the orientation of other boards, I think it's on the board right but, can't figure why I the Lemon isn't going into bind mode once I follow the procedures you outlined. I's got me scratchin my head.................

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Ah, I took a closer look at your images... You have a Naze32 rev 6. Apparently, it's a known issue with that hardware:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596074

It seems your choices are to:

* Bind with a full satellite capable host RX (that you can plug the satellite RX into)
* Modify the naze32 rev 6 to bypass the inverter or use another signal pin that isn't inverted

Last edited:

slipshot

Ok, found the answer to one of my questions...........

I did a dump in the CLI after setting the board into bind mode, but it doesn't look like it's working............Here's the output:

set debug_mode = NONE
set emf_avoidance = OFF
set i2c_highspeed = ON
set flashchip_id = 2105365
set flashchip_nsect = 32
set flashchip_pps = 256
set mid_rc = 1500
set min_check = 1100
set max_check = 1900
set rssi_channel = 0
set rssi_scale = 30
set rssi_ppm_invert = OFF
set rc_smoothing = OFF
set rx_min_usec = 885
set rx_max_usec = 2115
set serialrx_provider = SPEK2048
set sbus_inversion = ON
set spektrum_sat_bind = 0
set input_filtering_mode = OFF
set min_throttle = 1150
set max_throttle = 1850
set min_command = 1000
set motor_pwm_rate = 400
set servo_center_pulse = 1500
set servo_pwm_rate = 50
set 3d_deadband_low = 1406
set 3d_deadband_high = 1514
set 3d_neutral = 1460
set retarded_arm = OFF
set disarm_kill_switch = ON
set auto_disarm_delay = 5
set max_arm_angle = 25
set fixedwing_althold_dir = 1
set reboot_character = 82
set gps_provider = NMEA
set gps_sbas_mode = AUTO
set gps_auto_config = ON
set gps_auto_baud = OFF
set telemetry_switch = OFF
set telemetry_inversion = OFF
set telemetry_send_cells = ON
set frsky_default_lattitude = 0.000
set frsky_default_longitude = 0.000
set frsky_coordinates_format = 0
set frsky_unit = IMPERIAL
set frsky_vfas_precision = 0
set hott_alarm_sound_interval = 5
set ibus_report_cell_voltage = OFF
set battery_capacity = 0
set vbat_scale = 110
set vbat_max_cell_voltage = 43
set vbat_min_cell_voltage = 33
set vbat_warning_cell_voltage = 35
set amperage_meter_scale = 0
set amperage_meter_offset = 0
set multiwii_amperage_meter_output = OFF
set amperage_meter_source = VIRTUAL
set vbat_hysteresis = 1
set align_gyro = DEFAULT
set align_acc = DEFAULT
set align_mag = DEFAULT
set align_board_roll = 0
set align_board_pitch = 0
set align_board_yaw = 0
set small_angle = 25
set max

It's set up for serial communication using the SPEK2048 protocol, but doesn't appear to be going into the DSMX bind mode.

I'm inputting the following from the CLI

"set spektrum_sat_bind = 9" THEN typing "save" and it reboots. Once i disconnect and reconnect power, it still shows in bind mode 0.

The head scratching continues..............

slipshot

Bleh, bleh, bleh

Mak,

You sir are the man. I could have searched for hours and not found that particular thread.

Unfortunately, I don't have a full RX that I can use to bind to my receiver, so that blows.............any recommendations for a cheap full size RX I can use for that purpose.

slipshot

Thanks Mak!!

Greatly appreciate your time and assistance Mak! I'll snag one of those and give it a whirl.

Really, really appreciate it.

Last edited: