naze32 / taranis / d4r-ii very sensitive throttle issue??

kah00na

You could try using a new model in your Taranis. You'll have to rebind your receiver again but if it is a config item in the Taranis itself, setting up a new model may fix it.

You could try using a new model in your Taranis. You'll have to rebind your receiver again but if it is a config item in the Taranis itself, setting up a new model may fix it.

I tried that too but it didn't seem to make a difference.

What made a HUUUUGE difference was changing from a flimsy 6030 to a stiffer composite 6030. I almost didn't believe it, but that one change got rid a TON of the spastic control issues!! And now that I think of it, I did hear some faint overdriven or flattened-out prop type sounds a few times, but it never stuck in my head. Figured it was the FC trying desperately to fly. I noticed the props turning white around the hub (like from bending) but I hadn't crashed at all today. It prompted me to switch to composite because I remembered that's what the aforementioned 6045 props were made out of, went it flew well. It was night a and day difference! I still almost don't believe it. Thanks for the help to all who chimed in...

edit: I went back and watched my GoPro videos from today...I noticed that the fluttering props may have been caused by oscillation; not the prop fluttering and making the quad hard to control. Perhaps the flimsier props just didn't deal well with the oscillation...or just had a bad resonance? I did manage to tune the PIDs to make it fly a bit better and lessen the osculations slightly - but that's right when I thought of the stiffer props.

I'm wondering now if there still is some oscillation and the stiffer props are masking it in a way? Because just switching the props eliminated 90%+. Or was it that the softer, flimsier props couldn't handle it, and became fluttery and problematic?

Last edited:
Update: alright it's been a while and I wanted to follow up (I hate to find an old thread & read through it and find it ended abrutly so I try not to do that). Dunno if this is a 'solution' but at least some good info..

I went out today and did some more tuning I was still running 3S & 6 x 4.5 props. I found that this thing would fly REALLY wonky spazzy and crazy if the PID's were too far off. Once I got close to a decent PID tune majority of the problems went away....and if I deviated back out too far, the problems described in this thread (crazy oscillation / twitching / motors spinning up and slowing down / throttle overly sensitive) we re-encarnated. Maybe I had been making too large of a change in PID numbers when I was tuning before. It also doesn't help that I've come from a KK board where increasingthe PID's seemed to make it more responsive/twitchy..the Naze32 seems to be the opposite. Also, the KK PID numbers generally were like...in the 30-50+ range if I recall? And I'd push the numbers 5, 10, 15 points at a time while tuning. On the Naze32, going from 3.9 to 3.2 was a very noticeable difference (and then of course you have to adjust I & D again). I hope some of this this helps someone, even though some stuff went off tangent and down-the-rabbit-hole :p:applause::black_eyed:

Mrfixit

I've had the same problem for about a week... and this is going to be really frustrating for anyone who hasn't fixed this yet.. because after various new curve settings and throttle adjustments via the taranis controller, I found the calibration page for the sticks!! Upon getting my taranis it's max throttle position was set at about 60% of the actual sticks position. Leaving me 10% range above halfway being accountable for 50% of my throttles ability!!! (From 50-60% stick position controlled 50% of my throttle range)60% being the top end of my throttle. No one could ever keep a heli flying with settings like that!!! So solution is HOLD THE MENU BUTTON... GO TO PAGE 8 (stick and slider calibration) HIT ENTER AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON SCREEN..... then redefining the max and min parameters of your controller. Fixing sensitive throttle issue!! Also I was flying with a vortex 285 from immersion rc with a d4r-ii.. hope it helps!

Mrfixit

I've had the same problem for about a week... and this is going to be really frustrating for anyone who hasn't fixed this yet.. because after various new curve settings and throttle adjustments via the taranis controller, I found the calibration page for the sticks!! Upon getting my taranis it's max throttle position was set at about 60% of the actual sticks position. Leaving me 10% range above halfway being accountable for 50% of my throttles ability!!! (From 50-60% stick position controlled 50% of my throttle range)60% being the top end of my throttle. No one could ever keep a heli flying with settings like that!!! So solution is HOLD THE MENU BUTTON... GO TO PAGE 8 (stick and slider calibration) HIT ENTER AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON SCREEN..... then redefining the max and min parameters of your controller. Fixing sensitive throttle issue!! Also I was flying with a vortex 285 from immersion rc with a d4r-ii.. hope it helps!