Need FPV help please

Scratch

OK… Im in need of some FPV equipment, but I honestly don’t know much about FPV stuff yet and am looking for some help. This is what I have:

A homebuilt H-Quad with DT750’s, Plush 30’s, 11X4.7 props, multiple 2200mAh 3S LIPO packs, The FCB will be soon be a KK2.1, but is now an i86.

I also have a GoPro Hero 3 (black edition), a Sony camcorder, many different security system cameras, and lots of 12VDC 4.0Ah and 7Ah batteries (I’m in the security system install business and have access to many of them) and 12VDC vehicle batteries if needed.

I want this FPV equipment to do a couple things…
1. Obviously, I want to be able to use it to fly my multirotor in FPV mode from maybe 300 yards distance or so, using a small shaded screen (like a 7” or so) no goggles at this point.

2. I’m also into .308 precision rifle shooting, and am wanting to be able to mount a camera on a tripod, setup about 6 feet away from my target at an angle, and be able to view it at up to 500 yards away, straight line, on a 7” (or larger…) screen.

I’ve set up my camcorder for shooting, and am happy with the detail of the target image that I can see from it. I have a private range near my house so I’m not concerned with having to setup 12V batteries to either the TX side, or the RX side of the system, but am also ok with using car batteries if needed.

What I’d like to do, but I’m not sure if it’s even possible… is to use my GoPro, with the GoPro composite cable, and connect it to the video TX on the multirotor, and use a 7” or so LCD type screen hooked to the video RX, inside a “shade box” or whatever you call them, to fly with.

Then when I want to use it for shooting, I’ll remove the video TX and antenna from the quad, hook up my camcorder to it on a tripod, and set that up with a 12V battery near my target… then setup the video RX at my shooting bench with another 12V battery to view with on an LCD screen. (7” or larger)

I’m not sure if I’m forgetting a major portion of this or not, or what I need to purchase to accomplish both tasks. Here’s what I “think” I need, but have no idea on which parts to order:

FPV FLYING SETUP:
TX END
Video TX/RX system
GoPro 3 black (already have)
GoPro composite cable (do I need to mod this, or will the TX have RCA inputs?)
Antennas for TX on the quad
Small battery pack for the TX on the quad (2200 mAh 3S maybe...?)

RX END
Larger battery for the video RX (already have…)
Antenna for the video RX
Some type of viewing screen
Homebuilt shade box
Battery for the viewing screen (already have…)

FPV SHOOTING SETUP:
TX END
Same video TX/RX system
Camcorder on tripod
RCA cables to TX (already have…)
Antenna for TX at the target (same as above I hope…)
Larger battery for the TX at the target (already have…)

RX END
Larger battery for the video RX (already have…)
Antenna for the video RX (same as above I hope)
Some type of viewing screen
Battery for the viewing screen (already have…)

So what I'm looking for, is examples of:
Video TX/RX systems that will work for both systems
Antennas for TX/RX
Any odd cabling I havent thought of maybe...
Battery packs for TX on the quad (or can I use the 2200 3S?)
Small screen for flying (hoping to use the 7" for shooting, maybe upgrade later)
And any ideas or flaws with my thought process?

Last edited:

lonewolf7717

For both applications the ever popular entry point for most fpv(ers), 200mw 5.8ghz setup. 500yds on a basic 5.8ghz system is more than doable provided you have a set of circular polarized antennas....perhaps a 3 or 5 turn helical for target application since you are transmitting point A to B so close to terra firma. Helicals are a high gain directional antenna that you could set up on adjustable tripod to "point and shoot" directly at TX by target area. You most certainly can use your gopro live feed out for fpv....I'm not a huge fan because for fast moving rc craft that are relatively close to the ground there is an annoying delay....milliseconds but still annoying. 5.8ghz certainly has some negative aspects and i'm not nearly as keen on it as I used to be but for your application it would be the most straight forward smallest package approach. Keep in mind even with the best of gear that image from target to 7" monitor will degrade, it certainly won't be HD quality.

Gopro 3 vid out cable (or you can make your own):
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=165_74&products_id=1295

Scratch

OK... after some time spent on YouTube... I think I have a better grasp on things but would like your opinions before I place the order.

I'm thinking I'll get this Boscam 5.8GHz 200mW TX/RX combo (HK: $55.00)
Boscam FVP.jpg

And use these 5.8GHz circular Polarized antenna SMA- short (set) Not sure if these are the right ones though... (HK: $12.00)
5.8GHz antenna.jpg

Then use this GoPro cable to use for the quad camera (ReadyMade RC: $9.00)
76101069b419674ab29b3b97a3e82c3a.image.738x550.jpg

Might as well get this RCA Male to RMRC servo style connector, to go from the camcorder to the TX, for target shooting (ReadyMade RC: $6.00)
737cc644a3ff7263ba03955333fc1dc8.image.565x550.jpg

I also need a battery for the TX on the quad... It sounds like I could go with a 800mAh 3S 20Cbattery like this (HK: $7.63)
800mAh 3S 20C Lipo.jpg

To power the TX for shooting, I was thinking I could just use a 12V battery, will that work?

Then, to view the mayhem in the air, I was thinking something like this 9" TFT LCD monitor, might go with a 7" for less money...(eBay: $66.00)
$T2eC16JHJHkFFlyw!k8LBSWLV1!k-!~~60_3.JPG

And use another 12VDC battery to power the RX and monitor, whether flying or shooting. Does this sound right so far?

And does anybody know of anyplace that has comparable pricing in the US so I don't have to deal with the Chinese New Year delay? Or any other input on my choices...?

(Not sure how this image got in here, but don't want to delete the wrong image so it stays... just ignore it...

Attachments

• BOSCAM-TS321.jpg
    BOSCAM-TS321.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Make sure that your FPV monitor doesn't "blue screen" when it looses signal. You want static instead of nothing (blue screen).

Thurmond

lonewolf7717

ReadymadeRc.com is my preferred stateside fpv vendor. There are others but readymade has everything and then some. Expect to pay little more but all balanced out on shipping costs plus will have gear at your door in under a week (in most cases) rather than waiting weeks on end for the slow boat from china to arrive.

Scratch

I already know about the license and am taking my test on the 28th for tech. It had nothing to do with FPV, but was in the process of the test before I even starting building my quadrotor. I have a Baofeng UV-5R on its way.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have a Baofeng UV-5R on its way.

Great little radio IF you live near or in population centers. No good in my rural area though (I have a Wouxun). I am in the process of putting up a J-Pole antenna on a 50' tower so I can get on the repeater 40 miles away.

Thurmond

Scratch

I just sent you a pm with this info but thought maybe someone else might benefit From it:

I'm assuming you saw my thread so I don't have to find a picture of it, (if you haven't, let me know and I'll find it). But I used the Boscam 200mw system that HK sells for like 59.00, I also bought their circular polarized antennas for like 12.00 I think. Here's the links for them:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15295
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=43703

I found a 9" LCD monitor on eBay for like 20.00 I think, and used an old security system camera I had for the camera part. I did have to order a 16mm lens to zoom in on the camera, found it on eBay for 4 bucks.
I then used a couple 12VDC 7Ah security system batteries, one for the camera/transmitter, and one for the monitor/receiver.

I then bought a plastic tool box from. Menards, asked some foam and built a storage case for it. I use a tripod at the camera end, an set the monitor on the shooting bench.

I get about 330 yards line of sight in an open area on a road. I might get more, but that was the longest area I found that I could try. On my private range, it's a 300 yard lane through the trees and at 300 yards, I do get some fuzziness, but I can see the bullet holes.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a 400 or 800 mw set so I could get more range, but besides that, I really like my system.

Here's a thread on Snipershide where the guy used an 800 mw system and it seemed to be good out to about 800 yards or so I think, but I know he had trouble with the transmitter or something...

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-d-i-y/248047-diy-target-cam.html

In case the link doesn't work, here's his post:

I recently saw the Targetcam from Targetcam.net so I decided to make my own.

Here are is the list of stuff I bought
2 12 v 8Ah batteries with charger from Cabelas http://tinyurl.com/mmbbcz2
1 Plano Gun Guard 4 pistol Case http://tinyurl.com/mrnkjul $30 ( I should have shopped around first. This case is only $14.89 on amazon) http://tinyurl.com/lfk4fsr
1 7in LCD screen From ebay $9
1 2ghz 8ch 800mW Transmitter and Receiver from ebay http://tinyurl.com/l53njrx $60
1 3.6mm Security camera ( I had extras laying around ) Any camera would work. But the 3.6mm lens was going to have the camera too close to the target so picked up this lens for the camera and switched it out. Its a 16mm lens.http://tinyurl.com/m2v7nzr
1 El Cheapo Tripod from walmart : $15.

Some foam sheets from walmart. To separate the screen and battery section

Some wires and connectors are needed

I should be able to get at least 1000yard Range from it.

There are some things i need to figure out on it.

Here is what it looks like so far....

20140424_103450_zpsjufntuos.jpg

20140424_130522_zps023l4rvg.jpg

20140425_135830_zpsvbwbamwu.jpg

20140505_222907_zpsonb2adym.jpg

20140505_222754_zpsy0qbafud.jpg

20140505_222746_zpseyzhd2go.jpg

20140505_222639_zps3sbtdsay.jpg

Good luck!